SWDb General Maintenance: Corrections, Maintenance and Development [Feedback and Requests]

The general purpose of this thread is to inform the SWDb staff and wider community of any existing issues with the database as well as to share general thoughts with regard to the further development of the site.

If you’ve come across some faulty links, underdeveloped database entries or some other inconveniences, post links here so that people working on the database are made aware of that and can get on it in due time. If you have any friendly tips or requests, share those as well.

I think most movies from our Top 50 have sufficiently developed Pictures sections now, I’ve been working on them mostly and have recently uploaded a bunch of posters with some high resolution duplicates for a better viewing/browsing experience and so forth, now they feel complete for the most part. I’m planning on continuing the renovation of the next 50 spag sites some time down the road, can’t exactly say when.

There is still a fair number of movies (and some of them are not that obscure) that lack their dedicated database reviews, definitely:

There is definitely more than that, but it’s a good start.

I find a lot of movies picture collections do however have very low resolution images, and should steadily be replaced. Also there are so many more posters and lobby cards out there, we sometimes are only scratching the surface :slight_smile:

Thanks @Mickey13 for taking the initiative. And yes, to all and everyone, please do report anything and everything that rubs you the wrong way in the SWDb, tell us about or send us info, corrections, images, links to external articles, and so on and so forth. We aim to improve the SWDb drastically for everyone, and we count on … YOU :slight_smile:

I agree, this is why I’ve already uploaded a bunch of high resolution duplicates, as the old images look quite crappy. BTW, if there are any concrete Pictures sections you (or anybody else for that matter) wish were revamped, post their links here and I will get back to them sooner or later. And this is exactly why a thread like that is needed, it drastically reduces the amount of time you have to dedicate to browsing the forum in search of things to fix, so it’s a lot more productive and less time consuming.

Spagvemberfest and all that. Besides, I’ve noticed an absurd outpouring of new posters in high resolution and I just couldn’t resist the urge.

1 Like

Yes, there were so many uploaded here, that aren’t even in the database :slight_smile:

This is the draft @TheSwede magically created, it looks awesome. Feedback?

4 Likes

Very nice. :+1:

Fun fact: MORE THAN HALF of visitors to the SWDb access it from a mobile device or tablet…

Not this old geezer though. My lurch into the future stalled after moving from a PC to a laptop. :grin:

1 Like

By the way, there is a “hack” (a trick) to change the SWDb language to another language than English.

First of all, for those who have a user account there (our editors, if you want to join us please message me) it is simply a question of editing a setting in the user preferences.

However, if you want to change your language manually without having a user login, do the following:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php?title=Introduction&uselang=es

Let me explain: where you see “Introduction” you can enter any actual page title, eg. “Main_Page” (you will need an underscore for spaces and please watch for case sensitivity. Where you see the language code “es” you can put any internationally recognized code, such as “de” for German, “pt” for Portuguese, etc.

Made some small tweaks to the calendar to make it a bit more readable. Not quite done yet, but how do you like it?

Also, some of us keep adding pictures, posters, etc. Can’t stress enough how much help we we still need in adding postes and lobby cards from various countries, or where we have them, to add them in higher resolution/size. If you don’t know how on your own, just send me or one of the editors a message/email.

Also welcome: corrections, info additions, missing titles, links to articles/interviews etc.

Somebody has been changing names of some of the SWDb pages without changing the names of some of their related subdirectories e.g. VHS and Pictures sections, thereby breaking compatibility with them, as the subdirectories are still linked to the old SWDb names.

This has happened for instance to Spara Joe… e così sia!, La ciudad maldita and Django sfida Sartana.

I’ve patched these Pictures sections in a makeshift way, but this still needs a proper fix, maybe @Admin can have a look at this. There are more pages like these and the issue most likely concerns all newly renamed SWDb pages, so it’s better to check those and make sure everything works fine.

I think it has mostly to do with some shit that happened with capitalization. Can you bring cases to my attention where you spot this? There is no easy way to fix this other than manually I think, as there is yet no broad way to “disable” case-sensitivity or reverse whatever happened to the capitalization of certain words in film titles…

That’s exactly it, yeah.

I just stumbled upon this while browsing the database, the links don’t work despite having worked previously.

The broken sections have to be renamed in order to match the new spelling of the SWDb entries, not to sure how to do it though. I will drop titles ITT whenever I come across stuff like this.

1 Like

Hello,
I like to give some feedback. I don’t know if it’s mentioned before and if it’s useful for you.
Sometimes it’s hard to find the database page of a particular movie.
For example: This Man Can’t Die.
With the SWDb search browser I can find a review, but there is no link to the database page.
Very often I have to search for a link in a review. And then it’s possible to get there.
But I think the database page is the most important page to find, because it’s an overview. From there you can find everything about the movie.
So maybe it’s an idea to use the search browser only for database pages…?

1 Like

I definitely want to upgrade the search of the SWDb this year, just have to find time to do it. Generally, the software has two searches: one directly for a title match (that"s why when you start tyiping “this man can’t die” you will be shown immediately a review that has these exact words in it) and a full text search (only after you hit enter). The last has unfortuantely deteriorated in reliability after the last upgrade, so another eason for the search to be revamped soon. I plan on implementing the Wikipedia’s superior search to make finding things easier, it is definitely a problem that we’re aware of. In the mean time, also try searching for actors and directors, and if you can’t find a particular movie, please do let us know and we can make some short term fixes

3 Likes

Anyone else having problems navigating threads on mobile?

can you elaborate and send me a screenshot?

I always thought it’d be cool to have a dark mode option on the site - both the forum page and the database. Is that possible?

Yes it is possible. However, for the forum it’s currently not configured (I’d need to look into this) and for the databse itself there’s currently no dark mode layout. That would require even more work. So to cut a long story short: it is theoretically possible, and for the forum it might be available at some point in the near future, but I lack the skills to do this “over night” for the Databse itself, too.

1 Like