Sugar Colt (Franco Giraldi, 1966)

Watched this for the first time yesterday and came away with mixed feelings.
On the whole I enjoyed the film (3 stars for me) but felt that it never really made up its mind if it wanted to be a serious action film or a comedy. I don’t mind films which hold middle ground (Sabata for example does it really well) but this film doesn’t just sit in the middle it sways from highly dramatic to almost Trinity style comedy throughout. Even the soundtrack sounds like it was written for two different films. Bacalov does a great job with 2 different themes which are both very good but just don’t seem to fit together. Its a shame because I felt that the film could have succeeded in either direction if it had stuck to one path but by trying to be all things it winds up being less.
Anyone else seen this one?

For more info visit:
Database page: Sugar Colt - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Sugar Colt your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

1 Like

It’s been a while since I watched it but I remember having same kind of feelings. It starts like a comedy western but in the end it changes too drastically.

In Giraldi’s two MacGregor films the combination of action, violence and comedy works much better.

Oh, Forgot to mention. Worth watching because of beautiful Soledad Miranda. Her only spaghetti western role, I think. (she is credited to be in White Comanche too, but I can’t remember her, possibly just a tiny role.)

I can see why many people come away from this movie with mixed feelings. Giraldi does seem to have some trouble making up his mind if he is making a comedy or a serious action picture.

But, in the end I really enjoyed this film for the incredibly well-done action bits (especially near the end!) and for the incredibly gorgeous Soledad Miranda!

Though it isn’t exactly a SW, Soledad does have a very memorable role in the early part of the Euro-US co-produced Western 100 RIFLES.

Funny, I always was disappointed by the action scenes in this film.

The story is in a mild way entertaining, but the directing adds not so much to make the whole thing work.
Routine.

Interestingly enough, I think the comedy/serious problem in htis film is simply one of the soundrtack. For example, it plays the silly Dixieland music Sugar is beating the shit out of everyone in the bar, but the action on the screen wasn’t slapstick or anything. After I saw that scene, I pictured it with no music or different, more intense music and it would have been a great fight scene. I actually liked the movie, and I wasn’t expecting to.

Just viewed this one again.

The first time I viewed I agree what has been said about whether the film wants to be serious or not.
This time I thought film was more serious than comedy, and when some comedy style music comes on I just sort of blanked it to a degree (even though the soundtrack is not bad). Powers was O.K and think this directors films are not to low budget, and found the action acceptable.

Moved up a notch or two for me this one.

Didn’t really like this movie. Not really a fan of Hunt Powers.

1 Like

It switches back between serious fragments and silly comedy in a rather inconsistent way. the plot makes little sense. Sugar Colt was a clown whether he was impresonating a doctor or not. The music is inconsistent as well - the serious fragments are good, the ‘comedy’ music not so much. Hunt Powers was ok and Soledad Miranda looked great. I still enjoyed this one, but i’m not exactly sure why. 6/10

Same here

Maybe it reminded me a bit of series like The Avengers and The Saint, that where hits when I was young, and had this same combination of serious fragments and silly comedy (at least that’s what I thought when I was young, later I found out that most ‘serious’ scenes were silly, or at least tongue-in-cheeck too).

I think the first half of the movie is really strong, it surprised me how well directed it was. But after he reveals to everyone that he is Sugar Colt, I wasn’t enjoying it too much.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of the new French Seven7 DVD to see this movie.
Superb picture quality. Probably by far the best currently available version of the film.
Razor-sharp image quality. Only in the last 10 minutes, the quality is a little worse.
But overall a must-have for any SW-collection. Guys buy, buy!!

[quote=“The Stranger, post:12, topic:663”]Yesterday, I had the pleasure of the new French Seven7 DVD to see this movie.
Superb picture quality. Probably by far the best currently available version of the film.
Razor-sharp image quality. Only in the last 10 minutes, the quality is a little worse.
But overall a must-have for any SW-collection. Guys buy, buy!![/quote]

I’ll do that, next time I’m in Brussels
Pleasant movie, not great, but fun to watch

My Recommended. :wink:

Screenshots from the Seven7 dvd:

I agree.

very good film! the character it’s like a cartoon!! funny movie and lots of action.
i like it very much!

Watched this yesterday, wasn’t at all like what I was expecting. Felt like more of an American-style western to me, and I wasn’t too taken with the actor playing Sugar Colt. Though he was probably a good actor, he wasn’t really like the usual Spaghetti western actors, not really manly enough for the part he was playing. More like a US TV western series actor. Also I felt the film copied from the melancholic war scene from the Good the bad and the ugly complete with morricone score rip off. The film had more of a comedy slant and wasn’t very realistic. So for me, a 3 star movie.

Just viewed this one again via the Koch dvd this time. Have viewed this one a few times now, and this is one film that just gets better for me. Hunt Powers is made for this role, and the story is a little different. A pleasant film like already mentioned.

Hi folks …

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sugar_Colt_Review_(Scherpschutter)

Some good points made on this thread: the film gets better with multiple viewings (Ennioo) and the music often makes the film feel more silly than it really is (Lordradish)

I re-watched Sugar Colt last year via the Koch DVD. It doesn’t get better with more viewings for me. It’s just the same mish-mash of some good and some mediocre scenes. But the better stuff is in the first half, and the ending, with some of the usual unimaginative action scenes, is quite boring. 4,5/10