Sugar Colt (Franco Giraldi, 1966)

The ending is indeed the worst part, but for me it worked a lot better when I rewatched it; this is - for me - usually the case with spaghettis that are ‘different’: those movies don’t answer to the mental image of a spaghetti western and therefore create confusion when you watch them for the first time, when you re-watch them, you’re better prepared, know what’s coming. Most Sartana/Sabata movies, and especially the Trinity/Halelujah movies also worked better for me when I rewatched them. But I guess that’s personal, we all have different ways to watch movies.

Ha, ha know what you mean re films like Sabata. Remember viewing it years ago. Liked it, but did not get alot of things at first viewing.

I had similar experiences when I saw a Mel Brooks movie for the first time, and yes, it was Blazing Saddles: I had expected a comedy and this definitely was a comedy, but not the kind of comedy I had expected. I didn’t think it was particularly funny. It was weird though, and I kept thinking about it. When i watched it again, I liked it and thought some scenes were hilarious.

The Jewish Indians was my favorite scene.

I watched Koch Media’s dvd yesterday, nice looking transfer. Film itself was as I remembered, not a bad one but not great either. Film would benefit from better score, it isn’t actually that funny film but the comedic music makes it feel like one. But the cast is really good, Hunt Powers is excellent and there’s lots of familiar sw faces to spot.

6/10

I really enjoyed this movie. My rating may drop with more views but I’ll give it 4/5 for now. Probably my favourite Hunt Powers spaghetti so far.

Always did and still do hate the name … what an instant turn off !

What’s more ridiculous is that when I collected 16mm film, I picked up a few reels (not the full movie, alas) from a dealer who’d mistakenly listed it as ‘Sugar Pony’ !!! but said it was an Italian western, so for £15 I took a punt and this is what it turned out to be - the first 40 minutes with glorious Almeria locations in Scope :grinning:

It does look fantastic on the big screen … but that comedy theme, yukkk !

Pity Giraldi didn’t make more westerns than he did, as he was clearly a very strong director … but why hire Jack Betts / Hunt Powers ? He behaves like a very cheesy gameshow host, and commits the cardinal mistake in comedy … trying to act funny, or thinking you are funny, so this will transfer to the screen.

So, for me a beautiful looking production, but seriously flawed by naff title and poor casting of the lead actor.

That’s it. I’m calling it this from now on.

1 Like

This film’s page in the SWDb has also been updated to the new format. Please let us know if anything needs to be changed, or if you can add information, texts or picture materials.

1 Like

Sugar Colt has a new poll at the top of the page under the original post! :arrow_up: :+1:

1 Like

Ha! Sugar Pony… Great collector story. Do you have any other spaghs on 16mm in your collection?

3 Likes

I have a few trailers - ‘The Big Gundown’ (Black and white American TV adverts) GBU trailer, Fistful of Dollars trailer.

The first 10 minutes of GBU, 4.3 TV version - Nice souvenirs, but it can be a very expensive hobby, and also a nerve racking experience if a projector starts giving trouble during a screening.

PS: There used to be quite a few SW titles turning up on sales lists that I received monthly in the post … all pre - internet. There was actually a scope print of GBU in good condition for sale at around £300 … but that was out of my price range. 16mm feature films could be picked up for as little as £20 … and upwards of £1000, depending on rarity and condition.

These days international postal costs have made the hobby impractical , when postage can cost 3 or 4 times more than the actual film … especially expensive coming from the USA.

2 Likes