Storing blu rays together with dvds?

Should I keep my blu rays separate from my dvds or should I just combine them?

I’d keep them separate. But I suffer from severe OCD, so take that as you will… :wink:

First World Problems :smiley:

Separate if you are thinking about it as together may annoy you with the different size cases.

I used to put them all in together, back when I’d only just begun to get blu-rays. They look a bit crap segregated when you only own eight of them. But an issue with storage space eventually forced me to put my movies in two different places and separating the blus - which numbered maybe 150-ish by then - from the DVDs just seemed the most logical choice. Now, I wouldn’t go back to lumping them together even if I could. They look really quite neat together, blus. My only problem is that now I’m running out of space yet again (hence the ones balanced rather crudely on top):

Those questions people come up with …

lol

Yeah I’ll keep them segregated because as Ennio says, the difference in case sizes annoy me. Thanks guys.

Last caress that Blade runner box you got is making me cream my pants.

Okay, on to my second question which is:

Everything ordered alphabetically

OR

Separate genres and order alphabetically within genres.

And what about when things are numbered like wild east titles? I can’t do alphabetically then.

As far as you can, go alphabetically. If you can only go numerically, put those first.

I’ve got a friend who separates everything by genre (or tries to). It’s a hiding to nothing though, since so many titles straddle two or more genres. Where are you going to put Blazing Saddles? Western, or comedy? I guess as long as you put “Westerns” next to “comedies” you’re golden, right? But you need to stick “Westerns” next to “Horrors”, to accomodate The Burrowers and Dead Birds. Okay, put “Comedies” one side of “Westerns” and “Horror” the other. But oh noes! “Horror” has to sit between “Thriller” and “Sci-Fi”. Oh, AND “Comedy”. D’Oh!

See, it doesn’t work. :slight_smile:

Ooh, it’s a beauty:

Should be noted though that those two books^^^^? They’re actually one “flipper” book. It also comes with a lenticular picture (that same scene that’s on the front of the box: The spinner car going past the big advert).

Think I’ve mentioned this before but I keep all my westerns separate and in chronological order. Works for me but I’ve yet to meet anyone who agrees.

These kinds of issues have lead me to go more for digital storage and only keeping actual discs for really good or rare releases

Browsing a digital library with cover-art from your TV and streaming from computer through software like PLEX is the future!

Then it doesn’t really even matter how you have them stored, PLEX lets you create different categories to display your films however you’d like to, multiple categories for all titles, and you can also add tags to them all. So much easier and cleaner, provided ya got the storage space

I agree with you Phil, as long as:

1. You got a shit load of western films and they take up a substantial enough portion of your collection
  2. You are familiar enough with the films that you can instantly know the year it was released without having to think too much

Autophex, yeah I feel you. Sometimes finding physical space for storage is a pain electronic storage seems more convenient. However, I would still prefer physical storage since its part of the charm to have a shelf full of movies and I think I mentioned this before, but I have a certain “pride of ownership”. I actually sometimes sit on the John while admiring my movies!

My brother is an avid reader and he’s got shelf loads of books in his room and I asked him whether he would ever adopt digital readers he said no because “he likes the actual feel of the book in his hand”.

Currently I have my blu rays arranged A-Z and DVDS A-Z also but in genre. But I think I will change my DVD order to simply alphabetical regardless of genre as last caress would suggest.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:12, topic:3309”]Autophex, yeah I feel you. Sometimes finding physical space for storage is a pain electronic storage seems more convenient. However, I would still prefer physical storage since its part of the charm to have a shelf full of movies and I think I mentioned this before, but I have a certain “pride of ownership”. I actually sometimes sit on the John while admiring my movies!

My brother is an avid reader and he’s got shelf loads of books in his room and I asked him whether he would ever adopt digital readers he said no because “he likes the actual feel of the book in his hand”.[/quote]

I used to feel the same, about movies and books - have a ton of both and constantly acquiring more. I used to say exactly the same thing, even that I like my collection to take up space & the more the better! Although when reaching a certain point, it begins to feel like I’m some kind of hoarder and start to wonder why I really need a physical copy of something that I’m not even likely to pick up more than once every few years.

I’ve still got multiple bookshelves full of books and DVDs, but I’ve started to sell off stuff that isn’t favorites, and have stopped spending money on anything that isn’t really worth collecting. If its a favorite film, or a really nice release like Explosive DRAH, then I still like to have the physical copy. But if its just an average, cheap release, common film, or something that doesn’t warrant highest HD quality, I’d rather just have a digital copy.

Plus there are all kinds of advantages to digital mediums that you don’t get from physical. I can interchange audio tracks on films, with books I can make notes all over them and go directly to those notes, copy and paste the needed text without having to type it in, etc…

Same with music. Any more I just buy physical albums that have good artwork or are very special albums. The bulk, I just get digital.

I try to order them by directors, but truth is they lie around all over the place. On shelves or piled up to the ceiling above books (good thing is they are much less heavy than CDs) or on the ground, and every few months all the less interesting stuff is packed into all sorts of cartons.

I don’t sell any as it costs time to do so.

Hahaha!!! ;D
Amazing conversation! I’ve never thought about it, but I keep my SW DVDs and BluRays combined and in director sections. First Leone, then Sollima, then Corbucci etc.

I keep my films separated, too. My spaghetti oaters and slasher films are the ones I really keep an eye on, though. They have special places in my collection.

By the way, I totally understand pride of ownership for a nice collection… didn’t mean to “talk down” to that mindset, if I came off that way. I still have a big wishlist full of movies I’d like to buy, and even recently purchased a few blus that I wouldn’t have considered buying on DVD.

Sometimes I just feel like it becomes an unhealthy obsession, collecting material objects. Even with digital movies, I begin to feel the same way as I am constantly running out of space on my hard drives and having to move files around to make room. When I’ve got thousands of films stored and then barely ever want to watch most of them, I gotta wonder what the hell I’m doing :smiley:

That’s so right, you know! I’ve thought a bit about it many times and I have decided not to buy and buy and buy. There is no meaning in it, cause you can never have enough. I don’t have a great collection and I’m not interested in having one. But when I find a film that I like very much or an edition that was made with great effort and love (like the new Explosive Media BluRays) I usually buy it. Not because I want it (ok they are nice), but merely to support the Director or the studio. If everybody downloads the new spaghetti western editions, we can’t complain about their rareness. So, I always buy with the thought of supporting the artists or producer. It’s the movie that I love and not the DVD/Bluray. :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I don’t own enough discs to arrange according to director. I think I only have one disc for most directors.

I only buy a blu ray or dvd if I’m a real big fan of the movie and its a quality release. No use buying films you don’t really like or you haven’t seen yet.

Currently I only buy movies where I gave them an imdb rating of 8 and higher.

All my discs I order alphabetically…works for me.