SpagvemberFest!

1. One Dollar Too Many
    Release Date: 12.8.1968

PNG

Picked this one only because it is directed by Castellari. Really had trouble paying attention to this nonsense. Seems to me, although I watched a shitty copy, that in good picture quality this film must be quite good looking, at least some of the time. The directing and the acting is not bad, but everything else is. 4/10.

1 Like

The Italian DVD looks very nice - itā€™s a silly movie, but I wouldnā€™t enjoy watching a VHS pan scan version, if thatā€™s what you endured ?

1 Like

Actually, I bought this one for Spagvember and ended up with the Video Asia ten pack, as it here has an English audio. That was a mistake. I should have gone for the Italian DVD, even if I donā€™t understand much Italian.

1 Like

I put myself on a Corbucci diet this week, concentrating on some of the lesser-known movies

Massacre at Grand Canyon (1963)

*Ā½

The enigmatic movie that was made/not made by the great man. Sergio did a lot of mediocre movies in his career, but this one is so aimless and pointless that Iā€™m willing to accept that (in his own words) it was a mercenary job and he directed only a few isolated scenes, like for instance the entrance in town of the bandits and the shootout in the town street, two inspired moments in a movie without soul

Che cā€™entriamo noi con la rivoluzione (1972)

His penultimate western, like some of his best work set in revolutionary Mexico, but having little in common with classics like The Mercenary and Companeros. When I watched the movie for the first time, I thought it was not good, but still watchable, but this time around I found the whole thing nearly unendurable. Okay, the opening scene is alright, but afterwards things quickly go downhill and I must have fallen asleep halfway through

Johnny Oro (1966)

By no means a great movie, it has many weaknesses, such as a mid-section in which hardly anything happens, but the opening in great and the finale explosive. And I like Mark Damon as this slyboots Johnny who was born in a goldmine and therefore loves only gold

1 Like

Having Corbucci myself too.

Spagvember#24 Corbucci: Sonny & Jed
-One of my favorite Corbucci films. 8/10

1 Like
  1. May God Forgive Youā€¦ But I Wonā€™t
    Release Date: 13.8.1968

PNG

This film has something in common with an earlier Mussolini/Mulargia cooperation, Why Go on Killing?, the latter the better film by any measure. It would perhaps have profited by Mulargia staying onboard, also Rassimov would probably have been a better choice for the lead man than Ardisson. Seems they had some resources at hand, but perhaps not so many ideas. 5,5/10

1 Like

Iā€™ve decided to save JoaquĆ­n Luis Romero Marchentā€™s last Western, Condenados a vivir, for SpagvemberFestā€™s last day and instead (re-)watch more of the early Spanish contributions to the genre. First one: Fuerte perdido (ā€œlost fort,ā€ released on December 4, 1 BL), directed by JosĆ© MarĆ­a Elorrieta, a technically competent but not very original or inventive filmmaker. Still, Iā€™ve enjoyed rewatching his Fuerte perdido, a Western steeped in Hollywood tradition.

1 Like

DAY 24
Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m going to make this one today. If I do, itā€™ll be late tonight; if not, Iā€™ll double-bill it with tomorrowā€™s movie. In any case, itā€™s Django Shoots First (De Martino, 1966), another movie Iā€™ve not seen but, for a change, one Iā€™m quite looking forward to.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this one ā€¦ but because I watched with the Italian dub first, the English version didnā€™t work so well - mainly because Fernando Sancho isnā€™t dubbed by his usual Eng voice actor.
Itā€™s pretty lightweight, but an easy enjoyable watch :wink:

1 Like

Ya know, for all the fandubbing Iā€™ve participated in, I actually enjoy the Italian dubs more often than the English in terms of qualityā€¦ but the English dubs have a certain character all their own that is also special. I even enjoy the Django dub now :shushing_face:

1 Like

You must be smokinā€™ some good shit !? LOL :laughing:

1 Like

Only the finest :man_astronaut:

1 Like

I can put up with the acting in Djangoā€™s dub, but Iā€™d love to know why they changed the script so much.

1 Like

Sometimes the priority was to achieve lip sync accuracy, rather than worry about dialogue or plot details. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Next time youā€™re watching an English dub of a SW, look out for how many times the phrase ā€˜And besidesā€™ is thrown in ā€¦ itā€™s one of those superfluous add on bits thatā€™s used to pad out the line. Itā€™s a big dubbing clichĆ© ā€¦ take a swig of tequila every time it occurs, and see what happens :yum:

1. The Long Day of the Massacre
    Release Date: 29.8.1968

Il%20lungo%20giorno%20del%20massacro

Tonight I was going to watch One Against Oneā€¦ No Mercy by Rafael Romero Marchent, but partly because I discovered my copy is shit, and partly because of the way the film opens, I chicken out after five minutes.

Instead I watched a not so good copy of this Cardone film. Even if it has Italian audio only (or perhaps for that reason), I found it easy to watch, unlike many other films I have watched this Spagvember, well, most of the time. Actually it is the Cardone I have liked the most, I think, from the ones I have seen, that is. One I should like to watch again in better picture quality and/or with English subs. And Daniela Giordano is in it!

1 Like

Spagvember#25 Fidani: And Now Make Peace With God!
-I just need to have at least one Fidani every spagvember. I like the beginning where the three heroes are introduced in the stagecoach. This introduction takes 27 minutes out of films running time of 81 minutes. Anyway thereā€™s some hilarious moments here and there my favorite being the saloon musical number where french girl sings a song with lyrics like ā€œhmmmm-hmmm, laa-laa-laa, haa-hah-haa, mon cheriā€. Just priceless! 4/10

1 Like

Day 23

Rattler Kid (Klimovsky / 1967)

Watched this one purely because itā€™s on Amazon Prime and I needed something I could watch on the train and at work. Havenā€™t seen it for quite a while and actually enjoyed it more than I remember last time. Not that I remembered much. Itā€™s not a great film by any means but is ok in a kind of traditional western way. Brad Harris gets his shirt off for the ladies, Spoletini I always like and I donā€™t mind Wyler even though he is not the most magnetic of actors.

Only downside of watching this on Amazon is it has the cactus fighting scene cut out which I recall was the best bit. Really not sure why anyone would cut that scene out. Especially when they leave the set up to it in. :confused:

1 Like

DAY 25
Going back to my Sartana box set for the final time this Spagvember for Sartanaā€™s Hereā€¦ Trade Your Pistol For a Coffin (Carnimeo, 1970), the non-Garko entry and, if Iā€™m honest, my least favourite from the series. Still, these things are relative and thereā€™s plenty to enjoy here. A decent Sunday afternoon spag, this one.

1 Like

Well well

In my lunch break obviously :wink: