SpagvemberFest!

It should be uncut then. What do you think is the problem?

I wasn’t mentioning the realease itself, but the editing after the filming, I think they have cut and glued more than they should. The story does not flow as normal as it should

I see. For me it all came together watching the Kino Lorber release. In some other versions it was completely impossible to follow the story line.

7. Savage Guns

My fourth Fidani this November, and one that really sets me in a friendly mood. A tremendous atmospheric score (as said in the review), some real bizarre moments, Robert Woods, a clean ending, and certain other assets I’m to bashful to mention.

1 Like

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Looks like Bill and I were watching the same film at pretty much the exact same time and were enjoying all the same stuff because this was my:

STEFF 4

Seven Dollars on the Red (Cardone / 1966)

Dive and Shoot = 1
Roll and Shoot = 1 (but it was down the stairs dammit so should easily count fr 3!)
Slow Eye Reveal From Under Hat Brim = 1

More holes in it than a Swiss cheese but it’s strengths more than outweigh it’s shortcomings for me. Hell, the “Roll and Shoot” down the stairs alone makes the whole thing worthwhile but the fight scene towards the end between Sancho and Steffen with baling hooks is also a highlight. Definitely my favourite Steff so far on this project although Killer Kid is still to come and that has been my number 1 in the past.

I looked back at my review from 9 years ago and it is another one I can pretty happily stand by now.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Seven_Dollars_on_the_Red_review

1 Like

Román & Bava: Nebraska Jim
-Ok film with Piero Lulli as a villain. Fight scene between Ken Clark and Lulli is hilarious as they break every piece of balsa wood furniture as possible. 5/10

1 Like

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2017 - THE KILLER CALIBRE 30: DAY 6

Today I’m going with the number one picture on my own personal Alternative 20: the fanf*ckingtastic Death Sentence (Lanfranchi, 1968), featuring a brilliant cat & mouse opening, an extended game of poker which, for once, doesnt make me want to push my thumbs through my eyeballs in sheer boredom, and the world’s blondest eyebrows, glued to a scenery-chewing Cuban. What’s not to like?

https://imgur.com/834eVHH.jpg

Steff 5

Ringo, the Face of Revenge (Caiano / 1966)

Dive and Shoot = 1
Roll & Shoot = 1
Slow Eye Reveal From Under Hat Brim = 0

No revenge and not really a proper Ringo but that’s obviously no reason to limit yourself if you’re an Italian film producer. What we do get is a treasure hunt with a plethora of cross and double cross which makes it all perfectly fine without being outstanding. Fajardo and Wolff add to the mix positive way and it’s always good to see some scenes shot in and around Los Albaricoques too (the village with the stone circle from For a Few Dollars More). Probably my second favourite of the Steff-Fest so far.

1 Like

A Twofer from Anthony Ghidra.

5. PISTOLEROS (1967)

This was the first Spagh I saw with Ghidra in it, and it’s a very good one. Good story with great action and nice scenery locations.

6.HOLE IN THE FOREHEAD (1968)

Not much on action, but it still manages to entertain nevertheless. What I like about it is the way the film is paced without boredom and the way Ghidra’s mysterious character goes about his business. Great opening title song too!

1 Like

*6. Mulargia: Cjamango
-Another film in row with both Piero Lulli and Livio Lorenzon. Another ok film, Mulargia’s directing is mostly good but the story isn’t that interesting. I watched Koch Media’s dvd for the first time and I have to say it’s rather disappointing with unsharp picture, not up there with their usual standards. 5/10

1 Like

*7. Brass: Yankee
-Pop-art western by the butt maestro. Easily one of the best looking spaghetti westerns. 8/10

1 Like

STEFF 6

A Few Dollars for Django (Klimovsky/Castellari 1966)

Dive and Shoot = 1
Roll and Shoot = 1
Slow Eye Reveal From Under Hat = 1

A solid Steff outing which opens with the big guy ticking off the eye reveal and dive and shoot right off the bat. Well, why waste time if you don’t have to.

Another team up with Frank Wolff too which is always welcome.

1 Like

And

STEFF 7

$1000 on the Black (Cardone / 1966)

Dive and Shoot = 2
Roll and Shoot = 0
Slow Eye Reveal From Under Hat = 0

Another one of the better Steffs and definitely in the top 3 of those viewed so far this Spagvemberfest. Ticks a whole load of boxes and hasn’t lost any of it’s appeal for me. here’s the review I wrote back in 2009.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/$1000_on_the_Black_Review

(Note to self: Must remember to re-format some of my old reviews in the database as they now look shit since we changed system)

1 Like

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2017 - THE KILLER CALIBRE 30: DAY 7

That’s the first week in the bag, already! And to cap it off I’m going with a movie much-trumpeted by our own @scherpschutter: Bandidos (Dallamano, 1967), one of many protĂ©gĂ©/mentor pics within the genre, and with an opening scene to rival that of Once Upon a Time in the West
 well, maybe not that good, but pretty f*cking good, okay?

https://imgur.com/TLSzXfq.jpg

My second movie for this November month. I originally saw this movie in cinema, back in the 1970s, when I was still relatively new to the genre. I liked it, but not as much as some other spaghs, mainly those starring Giuliano Gemma or Franco Nero (I had already discovered that Leone played in a league of his own). I thought it was too light-hearted, too whimsical. If i’m not mistaken, I watched it for the third time and my ideas have not changed much over the years, I still think it’s a decent entry, a good runner-up in the spagh division, but not as good as it could have been. The main problem is the ending, it’s just wrong. The film, light-hearted as it is, would have worked better with an unhappy, dramatic ending, that is: the boys losing everything, the loot, and each other. Spoletini should have died there, in the desert after being hit by Garko.

Sill a very enjoyable movie, well-worth revisiting. I rewrote my review a little and gave it a new look:

1 Like

It’s so weird how the original title “¿QuiĂ©n sabe?” is already in Spanish, but then it’s given a completely new name in Spanish!

1 Like

I don’t know why you refer to the desert location as the sand pit? The film was made on location in Spain, not the Roman sand pits of so many cheaper Italian movies.
The scene you’ve mentioned when Spoletini is wounded is the exact same location used in ‘The Big Gundown’, Run Man Run’, Cemetery without Crosses’ to name but a few. It’s an area called Las Salinillas in the Tabernas desert 
 definitely not a sand pit!

Good point 
 but I suppose that ‘Quien Sabe’ (Who Knows?) is a little ambiguous and boring as a title. ‘I AM the Revolution’, sounds more powerful. :relaxed:

My mistake then, I’ll correct it. I really thought I had seen a sandpit in the movie. maybe another scene, or just old age

1 Like

Definitely old age. Yup.

1 Like