Spagvemberfest 2021

Yes, the sequel is definitely better, some people prefer the original for some incomprehensible reason though.

2 Likes

Dead Men Ride/Anda Muchacho Spara is in my SW Top10 and my DVD(or DVD-R) actually has English Audio and with a decent image quality. I don’t have it here in Spain though. I agree with aldo about the music, a lovely rather complex but melodic main theme by Bruno Nicolai and the story is of typical SW character very well performed.

• Edit. Whoops, obviously I (and my wife) had too much Sangria at the restaurant tonight since I just now remember that my disc only has Italian audio and just English subtitles :slight_smile: I have watched it at least 7-8 times or so the last 3 years, but only the first time it was with English audio on Youtube.
4 Likes

Day 1 & Day 2

Starting off Spagvember with some classic Cleef

14 Likes

Spagvember Fest Day 2

all’Ultimo Sangue

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/All'ultimo_sangue

A rewatch. The archive footage from Craig Hill’s earlier SW’s is a little more obvious this go around, but i still find the film fun to watch. Not outstanding, but one of the better low buck efforts.

8 Likes

I know there is an English language trailer on Youtube … so obviously it was dubbed for English speaking markets - You had my hopes up for that moment LOL … well it’s a good movie in any language :wink:

1 Like

Day 2 - Gli eroi di Fort Worth

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Eroi_di_Fort_Worth,_Gli

I own this mofo about a decade now. Tonight will watch it at last. I’m pretty sure this release is now obsolete if compared with recent ones but I won’t be upgrading any of these low tier titles.

5 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST DAY 2

Tonight I’m hitting up arguably the “weak link” in Arrow’s Vengeance Trails set: My Name is Pecos (Lucidi, 1967), starring Robert Woods and his eyelids as the wrong Mexican to f#ck with.

Haven’t seen this one since I saw it for the first and only time five or six years ago, and I dimly recall it being okay, but no more than that. Still, a decent transfer can make a significant difference and, only a few minutes into the movie as I write this, I have to say the picture looks terrific. I’ve been saving this one for Spagvember, so I’m eager to get after her. Tequila!

12 Likes

This is Scotty long, living in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. Watching The black eagle of Santa Fe. for day 2.of SpagvemberFest!

4 Likes

Good choice. Like that one.

1 Like

Day 2: Hate for Hate (1967) I’ve had this DVD sitting around awhile and I’m just now getting around to watching it. This might be John Ireland’s best character and performance in the genre, and he has good chemistry with Antonio Sabato, who’s is pretty likable for a change. The film also has a terrific bad guy in Mirko Ellis, grotesque facial scar included. It’s got good character development (at least in Ireland’s case) and some emotional depth in addition to an exciting climax. But that score by Willy Brazza nearly took me out of it. It’s often either cliched, overly emphatic, or doesn’t match the scene. Really not good. Having said that, Ireland and his tragic fate are enough to let this get by with a generous 7/10.

7 Likes

Hello amigos,For day 3 i’m watching EL JUEZ DE LA SOGA . In the USA called The Hanging Judge. very interesting one so far.

4 Likes

Hope this one still counts , Just looked this one up 1972, says this is a Mexican Western. Sure it Will count. Very good so far. On act 2 still, Also watching on you tube now . Under bang bang.

1 Like

It’s on the database, so it counts! I intend to watch at least a mexican during the fest and this one looks just fine.

2 Likes

Klaus Kinski excels in in this ‘gothic-inspired’ Spaghetti Western.

9 Likes

Spagvemberfest 2021

Day 3

And For a Roof, A Sky Full of Stars (Petroni / 1968)

Often wondered what Mario Adorf would have thought about this locandina that seems to forget he is even in this film. I guess for the Italians it was all about Bello Giuliano which for the most part I understand as I am a massive Gemma fan but Adorf was always great value in anything he appeared in and he is definitely a lead in this not just a supporting player.

Anyway, the film is a mixed bunch with some sublime moments but on the whole is a mass of lost opportunities. The Koch Blu is pretty good and the film is definitely worth a watch but is sadly not as good as it’s composite parts. Anything with Gemma and Adorf directed by Petroni and with a Morricone score should be top 20 for me but it never quite makes it.

8 Likes

It’s just misunderstood - I like the film a lot, but I get why others may have a problem with it - The Morricone soundtrack is fantastic.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a beauty.

1 Like

Day 3

Today’s (many) movies - Chapagua (1970)

Definitely a cheap film with a pretty poor plot but I had a blast with this one. First of all, the rousing score by Bacalov completely sucks you in, I’m crazy for that piece. Then the film is filled with many recognizable character actors from the genre, notably Porto Lulli and Federico Boido. The best is in my opinion the first gunfight in the town, after that it never picks up sadly but I still recommend this one for fans.

Also, - Guns For San Sebastian (1968)

Maybe set a little too early historically to really be considered a western but I’m not picky with that kind of thing. It pretty much fits right in with the great spaghetti westerns, I was very surprised with this film. Having watched so many I didn’t expect yet another genre masterpiece. Anthony Quinn is, alongside Gilbert Roland, probably the only Mexican actor to play a Mexican character for an Italian western. The Morricone soundtrack is as good as you expect it to be and the action is awesome.

And yes, ALSO, - El Condor (1970)

It was still relatively early in my evening and I was still craving some good old spaghetti, so this is coproduction that I actually didn’t intend to watch this month popped up in my head. It was of course very well made with an interesting plot and some great locations, Almeria never disappoints. Lee Van Cleef and Jim Brown are two legendary stars and their genuine chemistry is a joy to watch. Still I would say this is slightly behind some of Cleef’s great Italian westerns but leagues above stuff like “Return of Sabata” and “Take a Hard Ride”, also with Jim Brown.

(By the way, if any of you are wondering, I watch the movies the night before and give my thoughts first thing in the morning.

8 Likes

My #spagvemberfest continues with entry No. 2 which is

STARBLACK (Johnny Colt) , which is on also Netflix in HD and uncut, and it is the same transfer that’s also on BluRay, which is how I watched it. It comes with a nice booklet that has a longer essay in it and several language options, making this a nice import for those outside Germany and a must own. The quality is decent albeit not super crisp. I liked the film, despite some cheesy aspects and the not so original Zorro theme. It even has Woods pretending to sing at one moment… 3/5

11 Likes

Day 3: Massacre Time (1966)

Time to crack open the Vengeance Trails boxset. Enjoyed this more than when I first watched a few years ago. Probably the HD. 7/10

11 Likes