Spagvemberfest 2021

What’s the picture with man holding the noose from?

1 Like

Day 1: A Fistful of Dollars (1964) So my plan, for what it’s worth, is to use Mondays for Leone, to start each week on a high note. It just so happens I haven’t seen ANY of them in at least 5 years, so rewatches are long overdue. As for this one, my takeaway on the revisit is that I had forgotten how brutal some of it was. My wife, on the other hand, paid more attention to Tik Tok on her phone.

7 Likes

I’m busy with college, so I don’t know if I can watch a movie every day, but I plan on rewatching a Spaghetti Western at least every Monday and Friday this month.

I started with Arizona Colt, by the way. On Friday I’m gonna rewatch, God Forgives, I Don’t.

5 Likes

I would also like to know. It’s bothering me.

1 Like

I’m sufficiently up to my ears that I too may only be able to manage two a week, but I’ve watched Un dollaro tra i denti for the first time. Have already watched Un uomo, un cavallo, una pistola and enjoyed, especially for the beautifully deadpan sense of humor. Tony Anthony is a great anti-Eastwood, and I like his uncanny resemblance to Rowan Atkinson - the minimal dialogue undermines the Mr Bean factor.

8 Likes

So my theme this year was going to be working through my Blurays but I changed it to films I also have a poster for and so I felt like to begin with it would be good to combine both these ideas where I can.

So…

Spagvemberfest 2021

Day 1

Django (Corbucci / 1966)

The slightly beat up Django locandina has graced my spare bedroom wall for some time and with the Arrow Steel Book waiting on the shelf to be properly enjoyed now seemed like the perfect time.

Watched the Italian dub obviously and if anything I think I may have enjoyed this classic more than ever. Also enjoyed the extras where Franco Nero and Ruggerro Deodato’s interviews gave completely conflicting accounts of who did what. Brilliant!

9 Likes

Taken from Uccidi Django… Uccidi per primo.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought that Tony Anthony looks more like Barry Manilow…

Spagvemberfest 2021

Day 2

Texas, Adios (Baldi / 1966)

Another slightly dog-eared locandina and the other film included in the Arrow Django Steel Book made this an obvious back to back choice to start off this year’s Spagvemberfest.

As has often been said, this one is very traditional in it’s tone, theme and characterisation but the melodramatic storyline works pretty well I think and it’s a pretty good flick without being anywhere near my all time favourites list. I now have 3 copies of this film. My old region 1 Anchor Bay DVD, the stand alone Arrow Blu and now the extra copy in the Steel Book. One of the reasons I have been such a long term member of this board is that you are the only people who might agree that this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

9 Likes

Neat! That’s one I’ve kept in store for the fest!

3 Likes

Day 2

Today’s movies - The Cold Killer (1967)

Despite a very Hollywoodesque feel (just like the director’s only other western) this movie manages to give a few spaghetti western elements. The whole concept is very enjoyable so it’s a lot of fun. The scenes indoors looked very un spaghetti-like but the outdoors scene (some of which in the snow) were great.

Also, Kill or Be Killed (1966)

Tanio Boccia is known to have only made on great western, Kill The Wickeds, and yes, this movie is not great. Lots of early scenes are wasted on an old woman giving tasks to do to our lead and that never makes for the most entertaining action film. However when our protagonist is gravely beaten up we have the rest of a very well made spaghetti western that should have been like that all along.

11 Likes

Day 2: Colorado Charlie (1965)

Inadvertently stumbled on the same theme as yesterday’s film - sheriff is hanging up his guns to get married but is forced to do one last job.
This is an odd film - when ‘Wild’ Bill and his family are on screen the drama tends to be US melodrama but when the titular Charlie and his gang are shown the film is more like a proper spaghetti western. In fact, the film is infinitely better whenever Charlie is on screen. Not perfect by any means but enjoyable anyway. 6/10

Colorado Charlie

10 Likes

btw is someone volunteering for statistics of Spagvemberfest? Unique movies watched, people participated etc? We also need to check elsewhere, as long as the hashtag is used it should be possible :slight_smile:

Day 2

I had time for a double feature today so I decided to alter course a little while staying on my George Martin binge. I re-watched Clint the Nevada’s Loner (1967) and its sequel (REMAKE) There’s a Noose Waiting For You Trinity (1972) back to back.

Clint el solitario - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Ritorno di Clint il solitario, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

While the former obviously has a higher budget, I can’t help but feel like I am watching an earlier film of one of the Marchent brothers. The latter is much grittier and feels the way a real spag. should. Plus, you have Klaus Kinski! I will have to give my nod of preference to the remake…er…sequel.

10 Likes

My schedule now is kind of crap and I don’t have much time to watch movies, but I will try to participate as best as I can.

I embarked on the season by watching The Four Who Came to Kill Sartana and it was okay, maybe a bit weaker than anticipated, but still pretty decent for the most part. It’s the best of the worst Fidanis or the worst out of his best works depending on the way you look at it.

The writing is subpar even by Fidani’s standards, the overall story is a laughably predictable joke and the focus is pretty much non-existent, but the flick moves along pretty smoothly and features enough entertaining shticks to keep your interest. This is probably going to sound like a crude joke, but I liked the bar brawl scene, probably the best I’ve seen in a Fidani movie, it’s short and culiminates in a duel. Suffice to say, the execution is by and large solid and there is a handful of pretty good scenes.

Overall, there are plenty of quaint characters, cool touches and little tweaks and quirks that make this one considerably less painful than it would otherwise be. You can always sit back and ignore it while waiting for the more interesting bits to come along. The only really surprising thing is that it was shot by none other than Luciano Tovoli. The fact that according to IMDb, he apparently had a hand in filming Django Story is even more disturbing.

4/10

9 Likes
  1. Grimaldi: Starblack
    -I remembered liking this one but didn’t really enjoy it this time. Film is just too silly and naive. Some good action in the end and Wood’s hilarious musical number are the highlights of the film. 4/10
6 Likes

Only a day late (had some trouble with my horse), I am riding into #spagvemberfest with my entry No.1, and that’s a film that’s been on my list for a while:

I’LL SELL MY SKIN DEARLY (Vendo cara la Pelle), which is on Netflix in HD and uncut (but can’t be purchased in that form anywhere else, I hope someone will change that soon). A minor film and nothing to write home about, but in this presentation, it can properly show off its merits and good intentions at least. Horrible lead, okay music, nice support cast but boring script… 2/5 (and that’s generous)

Here by the way is what I wrote about the movie the first time I saw it:

This very rare film is actually pretty entertaining. Although the lead actor - a poor imitation of Gianni Garko - does a really bad job and the film is poorly edited, it offers a nice revenge story, good photography and nice action. --Sebastian, 11 Aug 2005

8 Likes

2: ‘Dead Men Ride’ aka ‘Anda muchacho spara!’ (1971)

Only watched this once before and was very happily surprised - it’s a good solid movie, raised immeasurably by one of the best scores in a western, by the brains behind Morricone! LOL :wink: Maestro Bruno Nicolai . Beautiful soundtrack.

At present no English audio version has emerged, so like it or not, I’m watching a great looking HD rip with Spanish audio.

11 Likes

:grinning: And here we go again. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

2nd - Paga cara no muerte Death knows no time

Never heard of this one. 6/10

10 Likes