No Room to Die / Una lunga fila di croci (Sergio Garrone, 1969)

Yeah, Iā€™d give more for direction of Garrone if it wasnā€™t so chaotic.
But Iā€™d say itā€™s above average.

top spaghetti for my tastes, and a real winner of my top 20
9/10 8)

Iā€™m with AngelFace on the plot being aimless. Havenā€™t seen it in ages but I recall falling asleep halfway through. Luckily some of it is salvaged by a memorable duel that caps the picture (despite it having one of the most obvious continuity errors ever). This being considered ā€œone of Steffenā€™s bestā€ certainly speaks volumes of his extensive Western oeuvre.

I thought this was sort of a mess, probably Steffens weakest performance, imoā€¦ I loved William Bergerā€™s gun though.

Yes, the plot is weak but the strong characters, Joe Dā€™amatoā€™s great camerawork and the dark atmosphere makes it rise above the standard Steffen films. I liked most of the music but some of it would have been more fitting to horror film. The last duel scene is good though itā€™s obviously copied from GBU.

An average one with an enormous body-count and a really inventive killing scene - death by shovel ;D. And, as some others already mentioned, Iā€™m still wondering what Garrone wants us to know with that strange flashback-scene during the rooster fight. Maybe a residual of a cut sub-plot?

Watched it. Loved it. Crisp gunplay and sound-design. Flawless cinematography imho.

Did it have a plot? Sortaā€¦ It doesnā€™t matter. The ā€˜wine controversyā€™ is a non-starter. It couldā€™ve come from Vera Cruz or New Orleans, etc. Give a cowboy some wine 'n heā€™ll drink it. As for the flashback, it just reinforces the reality that cockfight-gambling is an old northern-Mexican tradition.

Fargo (Riccardo Garrone) kept reminding me of a 40-year-old Robert Taylor, who wouldā€™ve been sensational in SWā€™s at 40. Four stars.

Forthcoming on Blu-ray from Raro USA[url]http://rarovideousa.com/Hanging-for-Django-Available-for-pre-order[/url]

i canā€™t wait for the blue ray :smiley:

Still Blu Ray

Yep, always have to correct myself on that one most of the time though.

This spelling is a bit odd, admit it. Officially itā€™s blu-ray, donā€™t know whatā€™s the idea behind it.

Wiki says that that the registration for a trademark was easier to get by using Blu instead of Blue.

There is already a Blue Ray in our world: Neoraja caerulea - Wikipedia

Is hyphening it necessary or can you do without?

Just watched this one and I have to say that I was disappointed! The characters are extremely flat and the story hardly goes on. There are of course some good moments like when Anthony Steffen digs his grave (what an amazing moment), where the music fits very well and I canā€™t imagine it better, but generally the hole movie gave me the taste that it tried very hard to have an specific style. Iā€™m not saying that it hasnā€™t, but I could feel an effort to be something more. I can think now of the scene where Steffen rides in and we can see him trough a Winchester trigger. I didnā€™t like it at all! Over the top! In my opinion the style is not something that you can force. When you do too much, you kill it. And how about the duel at the end? Garrone wanted soo much to have made The good, the bad and the ugly. It was obvious! Even the score was tending towards Morricone and stepping back when the connection became too obvious.

Maybe I was not in the mood for pasta tonight and I read that many of you like this film, but I was expecting much more! Even Macchiavelli couldnā€™t save it! Although being the worse film appearance of her that Iā€™ve seen, I donā€™t know what Iā€™ve would have done if she didnā€™t appear in it. And what an awful love story!!! And what about the Mexican couple! Ahhh!!!

I think that I should stop writing about it. :-X

So, conclusion. 2/5 ::slight_smile:

P.S.: What the heck were those black & white flashbacks??? :o

now, i donā€™t even remember those scene you mentioned, itā€™s three years iā€™ve seen it, but was disappointed by it too back then

I happen to love this film but I have to agree with you on the filmā€™s flaws Salty Jim. I wrote about some of this in my review for fistfulofpasta.com

Edit: I just finished reading the review I wrote (its one of the first that I wrote) and Iā€™m cringing at how bad my writing is lol.

[quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:66, topic:802ā€]I happen to love this film but I have to agree with you on the filmā€™s flaws Salty Jim. I wrote about some of this in my review for fistfulofpasta.com

Edit: I just finished reading the review I wrote (its one of the first that I wrote) and Iā€™m cringing at how bad my writing is lol.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that review. I agree on most things (the lethal shovel for instance) but wouldnā€™t rate the movie as high as you do. The premise about the Mexicans smuggled across the border only to be forced to do slave labor sounds interesting, but nothing in particular is done with it, itā€™s just one shootout after another, with the story - as Salty Jim says - hardly going on. Sloppy movie.

Which one is your review? There are two at fistfulofpasta.

[quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:66, topic:802ā€]I happen to love this film but I have to agree with you on the filmā€™s flaws Salty Jim. I wrote about some of this in my review for fistfulofpasta.com

Edit: I just finished reading the review I wrote (its one of the first that I wrote) and Iā€™m cringing at how bad my writing is lol.[/quote]
Youā€™re exaggerating quite a bit.

This one:

http://fistfulofpasta.com/index.php?go=reviews/noroomtodielen