Spagvemberfest 2019

Another pile of shit that was. Wasn’t as bad as yesterday’s movie and, of course, Fernando Sancho is always worth watching, if only for the big hats. But this is already a bloody challenging SpagvemberFest, and it’s only Day 4. I don’t usually feel the weight of the challenge until well into week 3 (and if there’s enough quality in my selections the entire 30-day challenge just floats past). Not this time though. Bit off more than I can chew this year? Possibly.

1 Like

One needs to be easy on the low budget flicks!

2 Likes

Spagvemberfest 2019 Day 4

Four Dollars of Revenge (Balcazar / 1965)

Another day, another previously unopened Bluray.
Of the two on offer in this cheapo double bill I plumped for the Robert Woods one as I have vague memories of The Last Gun being pretty awful and I don’t want this Spagvemberfest to descend into some kind of lastcaress type nightmare.

Four Dollars is another one of those earlyish Spanish westerns that tries too hard to be a 50s American western but it is harmless enough and still quite watchable.

4 Likes

No, I didn’t give up.

1. A Coffin For A Sherrif - Steffen infiltrates gang of outlaws and it is nothing special until about last twenty minutes, which are pretty intense. 5/10

2. Day Of Anger. Rewatch after ten years. Although I wanted to do this in hardcore mode (means no rewatches), well fuck it. I actuallly like this spagh more than first time around. 4,5/5

3. A Man Called Noon - First ten minutes in, I thought this is awesome. Last ten minutes I thought this semi-spagh with Crenna can’t be worse. 3/10

1 Like

Last November I watched a lot of 68 releases I hadn’t watched before. This November I plan to watch 69 and 70 releases I haven’t watched before, and perhaps some 71 releases as well, only interrupted by Sollima’s films.

I would put up with him in Sonora though.

That’s on my Spagvember Fest list :smile:

Got back to the Spagvember fest today with Se Incontri Sartana Prega per Tua Morte (If You Meet Sartana…Pray for Your Death),

the beginning of my 5 day second viewings of all 5 Sartana films

2 Likes

There’s one really violent scene where Steffen get beat up. A stand-alone great scene in a pretty boring movie all together. (Coffin for the sheriff)

Spagvemberfest 2019 - Day 5

Ben & Charlie (Lupo / 1970)

Been a long while since I watched my Wild East disc of this and found that my memory of it was pretty much as I found it now. A buddy movie that is good in parts but not good enough as a whole. My feelings pretty much match Scherps’ review here: Ben and Charlie Review - The Spaghetti Western Database

2 Likes
  1. Grimaldi: In Colt’s Shadow
    -One of my favorites from early sw’s. Good looking film with great music and some spectacular action scenes. I watched Koch’s bluray which looks very nice. 7/10
3 Likes

I’ve got both of these to come later on in the month. Not lovingly-crafted DVD or blu-ray presentations, though. Cheapo box set versions all the way. Washed out colours, blurry scenes, muffled dubs and tracking issues? You bet!

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2019: DAY 5

Today, I’m developing spag anxiety (spaxiety?) and already beginning to flinch involuntarily at the very thought of It Can be Done… Amigo! (Lucidi, 1972). Still, this one will be okay, won’t it? It’s got Jack Palace in it! Please somebody say it’ll be OK? Please??

EDIT: Oh FFS, the entire audio has a massive echo on it :laughing:. It’s like the whole movie is set inside a bloody great cave. That’s not off-putting at all!

3 Likes

That’s actually pretty neat approach.

The echo eases up as the film progresses, but yeah, super annoying! Sometimes these echo-y dubs are an attempt to create a spatial stereo effect … of course its bollocks, but unfortunately that’s the dub currently circulating - Does anyone know if the Wild East release audio was any better ?

Ok … Numero 6: ‘Hands of a Gunfighter’ aka ‘Ocaso de un Pistolero’ (1965) Another disappointment - Raphael Romero Marchent and company made some really decent entertaining pre- Leone westerns … but this one is so squeaky clean, it’s almost a Disney movie … until the last 10 minutes. Mercifully short at only 75 mins or so. This is the Marchent brothers poorest effort. Some familiar SW baddies and locations look good, but there’s not much to recommend this one. 4/10
PS: Watch out for the scene when Craig Hill and Gloria Milland go to town … there’s a sign for a Travel Agents !!! That’s pretty advanced for a western town 1880s or whatever. :smile:

2 Likes

No, it’s not ok. It’s horrible and you are destined to suffer this month. Actually we all are.

5 Likes

Best thing I remember about this was that I had a good quality fan made dvd-r so at least it was easy to watch. But going with cheap boxed set release might be hard. :smiley:

I think I just saw this same sign in In Colt’s Shadow.

2 Likes

You’re quite right, the echo quit maybe twenty minutes into the film, which itself was low-stakes but harmless enough for much of its runtime before descending into tedium towards the end. I’ve seen way, way better of course - that’s hardly difficult - but I’ve definitely seen worse, too.

Kids in spaghettis are always weird, irritating little bastards though, aren’t they?

2 Likes

4. Twenty Paces to Death (1970)

Veinte%20pasos%20para%20la%20muerte

Watched the Spanish version. Promising opening, but that’s about all. The Golden Girls sign on the front of Esplugues City’s saloon seemed a little more worn than in my last spagvember film. Also, the girls seemed to have left town.

4/10

2 Likes

Just finished up Sono Sartana, il Vostro Becchino (I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death) for Day 5 (for me anyway) for Spagvember and Day 2 of Sartana Week

1 Like

At some point this month I’ll pull myself together and watch some Fidani films that I haven’t watched before. But I have them only with an Italian audio. Are there English audio or subs to be had for Ed ora… raccomanda l’anima a Dio!, …e vennero in quattro per uccidere Sartana!, Passa Sartana… è l’ombra della tua morte and Quel maledetto giorno d’inverno… Django e Sartana …all’ultimo sangue! And also for Chapagua?