Spagvemberfest 2019

1. God Will Forgive My Pistol (1969)

PNG

Not much to say about this one not already said on the film’s thread. Except that it has Loredana Nusciak in it. Plot, story and screenplay rubbish. Nice score and cinematography though. According to the German credits the score is by Vasco – Manusco, not only Vasili Kojucharov, as on the film’s page. Watched a 82 min version with (most of the time) an English dub.

5/10

1 Like

I expected little from Blood Money and, whilst I didn’t get a hell of a lot more than that, I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I was going to. Julian Ugarte’s demented leather-clad deacon with his mobile church was a definite highlight. He looked like the lead singer in a goth band. But with a mobile church.

1 Like

Just wondering how many of us are taking part this year ? This is my first Spagvember Fest … so far I’ve watched 2 stinkers which means I could take the night off, or play it safe and watch a classic :wink:

1: ‘Ramon the Mexican’ (1966) Crap … but with good music 3/10
2. ‘A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die’ also crap, but good production values 5/10

@Phil_H, @Bill_san_Antonio, @morgan and I have, I think, always done it. @Companero_M tends to pop back to the boards at around about this time of year for Spagvember, and @VanEyck and @scherpschutter often like to weigh in with as many viewings as they can. @Lone_Gringo has definitely done it before, too. So I reckon maybe half a dozen of us will take at least a stab at it this year.

2 Likes

I may re-watch some spaghettis this month, but since I tend to view my flicks willy-nilly (that’s the way of watching movies I enjoy the most, makes for the best dopamine fix), I figure I won’t be able to keep up with your demanding one-spag-per-day pace, thus I am afraid I do not qualify as a veritable, certifiable, authentic, bona fide SpagvemberFester. :unamused:

I bow my head before thee in awe of thine unwavering commitment and in respect for thine adamantine dedication, you lovable fruitcakes.

2 Likes

Going with a lighthearted action fest today via Enzo G. Castellari,

Kill Them All and Come Back Alone

I’m enjoying it so far and the Koch Media transfer on the Blu Ray is excellent, only slight age here and there.

2 Likes

Watched yesterday Mulargia’s Brother Outlaw, knowing it won’t do any good impression, but I found good quality copy on yt and well, I have to start with something.
So, yes, it’s crap, placed right between other Mulargia’s turkeys Cjamango and Quintana at the bottom of my list of watched spaghs.

Tonight’s watch: A Coffin For A Sherrif

3 Likes
  1. Barboni: The Unholy Four
    Here’s a film I had not seen for a long time, I remembered liking it but this time it didn’t make such an impression. I’d say it’s one of those films with potential to be better. One thing which bothers me is that all the main characters escaped from madhouse but apart from amnesiac they just seem to be very regular guys. And the music was very unfitting for such a grim film.
    6/10
2 Likes

3:‘Viva la muerte … tua!’ aka ‘Don’t Turn the Other Cheek’, aka 'Long Live Your Death’
Hadn’t seen this in ages, so I just jumped in when rummaging through some old discs.
Kind of drags at times, but I couldn’t help liking it … there’s a couple of really funny visual gags and surprisingly for a comedy, the action scenes are really tough and effective … a lot more so than many of it’s ‘serious’ counterparts. Check out Eli Wallach with his sawn off shotgun !
Much of it is just plain silly, so you would need to be in the mood, but I was won over by the 3 leads, Franco Nero, Eli Wallach and Lynne Redgrave really seem to be having a good time and though it’s NO masterpiece I enjoyed it. 6/10 :smile:

2 Likes

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2019: DAY 3

It’s the dynamic duo of Richard Harrison and Donal O’Brien today in Jesse and Lester (Genta/Harrison, 1972). What do I know about this film going in? Absolutely sod all. It’s one of those titles which seemed so uninspiring I kind-of blanked it out of my perception and I never gave it another thought. Still, I like Messrs. Harrison & O’Brien so how bad can it be?

1 Like

Continuing on my “watching discs still currently in cellophane” theme…

Spagvemberfest 2019 Day 2

Texas Adios (Baldi / 1966)

The Arrow Bluray looks pretty good and the theme song is a favourite but the film itself is very much an old style American style western rather than pure spaghetti. Enjoyable enough though if not a big favourite of mine.

2 Likes

Spagvemberfest 2019 Day 3

Johnny Hamlet (Castellari / 1968)

Back to my original plan of revisiting some of my Koch Media and Wild East discs and also something of a memorial viewing / listening to Maurizio Graf’s superb theme song.

Always been a highly rated film for me and was very happy to say it still pleases on a lot of levels. A definite classic in my books.

5 Likes

2. Apocalypse Joe (1970)

PNG

Another Savona, this time he is credited with both the screenplay and the directing alone. It opens with Anthony Steffen reciting Hamlet and ends with him delivering the line “I’ve got an appointment with a guy called Shakespeare". But Savona is no Shakespeare, and again the story is rubbish, in the second half recycling some of the same disguise/ stupide tricks nonsense as in God Will Forgive My Pistol. Great score by Bruno Nicolai, and Mary Paz Pondal wears the lowest cut dress I’ve seen in any spagh.

5/10

2 Likes

Resuming Spagvember tomorrow, spent today finishing up moving stuff into our new house.

sceriffooro

Uno Sceriffo tutto d’Oro

I’m not going to watch one spagh each day, but I decided to rewatch some oldies (which also gives me the chance to re-evaluate my reviews) and watch a few new ones as well (new in the sense that I haven’t watched them before)

I started with this one, a fairly entertaining (and somewhat diffferent) spagh in the style of the caper movie. The opening is the best part of the movie and the ending is … well, see for yourself, but overall this is a pleasant ride

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Golden_Sheriff_Review_(Scherpschutter)

4 Likes
  1. Corbucci: Django
    -I bought Argent’s bluray recently so now was a good time to give it a try. The image was surely sharp and detailed but the colors looked very faded at times to my liking. No need to comment the film itself. 9/10
1 Like

4: ‘Ballad of a Pistolero’ (1967) Ok, but only so-so 5/10
5: ‘Johnny Hamlet’ (1968) Disappointed by this one, I know it’s popular here, but just a 5/10 from me.
Gilbert Roland WTF … he did 5 consecutive SWs and wears the same duds, smokes the same cigar, the same 1940s lounge lizard moustache and the same smug expression, as though he thought himself the coolest dude on the planet ! Aye yai yai !!! :nauseated_face:

aka … the unattractive leather cape coat double feature!

Richard Harrison and George Hilton have also worn this garment :wink:

3 Likes

Johnny Hamlet might turn out to be a grower for you, @aldo. I didn’t rate it all that much at first glance iirc, especially given its relatively good rep around here, but I’ve seen it a couple of times since and liked it a little more each time.

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2019: DAY 4

Over to my Mill Creek Ten Thousand Ways to Die cheapo set today for Seven Guns For Timothy (Guerrieri, 1966). I’ve got a feeling I might have seen this one already but I can’t be sure. Worryingly, it’s not logged on my list of favourite Westerns which means if I have seen it, I didn’t like it. Mmm, ominous. Oh well, I’ll know in a minute, I suppose.

That movie yesterday, Jesse and Lester, was piss poor. I really don’t want to do too many at that standard on the spin, or I’ll go (even more) insane.

2 Likes
  1. Espinosa: Once Upon a Time in the Wild, Wild West
    -Often said to be the very worst sw ever made. At least it’s a very good candidate for the title. There’s basically no plot, two brothers who constantly fight with each other goes into town where the third brother is running a saloon. Then there’s fistfights, musical numbers and some frolicking with saloon girls. Even the cinemetography is often sloppy and the picture is out of focus. At least I can now say I’ve seen it. 1/10
4 Likes

3. Law of Violence (1969)

My first Crea, and probably my last. Good score by Cipriani, and I really liked the ending, a girl without a name firing the last shot, although it seems that we can spot some nearby houses to Esplugues City in the background.

Legge%20della%20violenza

4/10

2 Likes