Spaghetti western remakes

with the current “depressing” trend of cinematic remakes and the possible re emergence of the western genre, it got me thinking ( purely fantasy) if somebody started a trend for SW remakes what would you like to see redone?

to be honest… none.

Why not a new SW?

The reason we have so many remakes is because Hollywood is run by uncreative executives who are too scared to risk backing any original ideas so constantly look to previous successes which they believe they can ride on the back of. Consequently, well made or popular subjects from the past are the prime subjects for ‘new’ versions.

This is doubly frustrating as not only does it mean new stuff doesn’t get made but also that the only remakes are of films which were perfectly fine the first time around. What I would like to see is remakes of films which should have been good but were actually a bit rubbish. These films would clearly benefit from a remake whereas making a new version of an old classic is intrinsically doomed to failure. As such I don’t want to see a remake of Django or Return of Ringo. These films are already great. What I want is a remake of Captain Apache and Bad Man’s River. Or maybe 3 Bullets for Ringo. These films can only be improved on!

It should be forbidden to remake perfect movies. The Horror Genre is a kind of remake Genre. Wes Craven, George A. Romero and John Carpenter don’t seem to have any problems with all the remakes of their movies (All a matter of money I suppose). IMO 3:10 to Yuma was a good remake cause the movie is different to the old 3:10 to Yuma and made the Original more popular. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Phil H, post:4, topic:1407”]The reason we have so many remakes is because Hollywood is run by uncreative executives who are too scared to risk backing any original ideas so constantly look to previous successes which they believe they can ride on the back of. Consequently, well made or popular subjects from the past are the prime subjects for ‘new’ versions.

This is doubly frustrating as not only does it mean new stuff doesn’t get made but also that the only remakes are of films which were perfectly fine the first time around. What I would like to see is remakes of films which should have been good but were actually a bit rubbish. These films would clearly benefit from a remake whereas making a new version of an old classic is intrinsically doomed to failure. As such I don’t want to see a remake of Django or Return of Ringo. These films are already great. What I want is a remake of Captain Apache and Bad Man’s River. Or maybe 3 Bullets for Ringo. These films can only be improved on![/quote]this is very well put phil. i just did this post as a bit of fun and in fact nearly put it in weeks ago but didn’t because westerns basically only have six or seven plots anyway.as i have stated on this forum and more prominently on horror movies ca forum i am very much against the current remake nonsense.it’s a good point that you bring up about remaking films botched the first time though.

[quote=“deathrider777, post:2, topic:1407”]to be honest… none.[/quote]you know what? i can’t think of any ethier

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:5, topic:1407”]It should be forbidden to remake perfect movies. The Horror Genre is a kind of remake Genre. Wes Craven, George A. Romero and John Carpenter don’t seem to have any problems with all the remakes of their movies (All a matter of money I suppose). IMO 3:10 to Yuma was a good remake cause the movie is different to the old 3:10 to Yuma and made the Original more popular. :)[/quote]the horror genre is perhaps the best film genre and has always been popular, it’s just in a very poor creative state at the moment. it is not a remake genre apart from admittedly many versions of " dracula", " frankenstein" over the years, it’s just the lazy film executives and the fear of trying something new or different.

Tarantino is making a kind of remake of “Inglorious Bastards” right now. He says, it would be something like his SW.
I think someone like him, who really loves SW AND is a fine director would be able to do a proper SW-remake.

I agree, there shouldn’t be a remake of an a-class SW, but there are SWs out there, that are OK, but improvable…

Wasn’t Matalo! a remake of Kill the Wicked?

See little point in re making a Spaghetti when you have such a vast quantity to choose from already.
If there is one or two you are not keen on, just move on to the next.

I’d really like to see a well done new one. The last attempts to revive the genre were quite disappointing. But to see a new, good-looking, dirty SW in a cinema - that would be great!

I beg to differ. Captain Apache is exquisite… I don’t see how you could possibly do it justice on a remake… the movie is tons of fun to watch, I love it. A remake attempting to make it a good movie would be a pile of crap, I’m sure

1 Like

How about: Trinity & Sartana
Starring Owen Wilson and DMX, directed by Ben Stiller

No way it will be worse than the original.

I[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:14, topic:1407”]How about: Trinity & Sartana

No way it will be worse than the original.[/quote]

I could imagine Ben Stiller playing Silence in a remake, provided he is shot in the very first minute by Owen Wilson (doing a Kinski impersonation)

I’d say we have Serena Williams play the widow, her ass his big enough to fill the rest of the running time

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:14, topic:1407”]How about: Trinity & Sartana

No way it will be worse than the original.[/quote]

Is this a joke? Avoid…

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:15, topic:1407”]I could imagine Ben Stiller playing Silence in a remake, provided he is shot in the very first minute by Owen Wilson (doing a Kinski impersonation)

I’d say we have Serena Williams play the widow, her ass his big enough to fill the rest of the running time[/quote]
;D Unusually blunt of you, scherpschutter. But funny nevertheless.

You obviously haven’t seen the original.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Trinità_e_Sartana_figli_di

If anybody does an SW remake, it should be the italians.

Any attempts to “Hollywoodize” an SW would royally fuck it up.

I can see it now…

Sabata (2009)

Budget $50 Million

Directed by Brett Ratner

Starring: Starring Cedric the entertainer as Sabata, Ashton Kutcher as Banjo, Josh Harnett as Stengel, Screech from Saved by the Bell as Carrincha

Music performed by David Lawrence (of American Pie and High School musical fame), Music sung and performed by Kelly Clarkson

An epic story where Sabata fights evil to win the heart of the woman he loves (played by Jennifer Anniston)

Ask James Cameron to do a remake of Fidani’s classic: Strange Tale of Minnesota Stinky

I have a better idea

Let Morricone write a new score for …

http://imageshack.us