Spaghetti Western poll

Film is overlong for me. Revolutionary westerns are not my favourite. Most of all I find Tomas Milian irritating and over the top in this.

Milian over the top? Never! :wink:

Find me a better wacky cop-comedy teaming Terence Hill and Ernest Borgnine… :slight_smile:

There you got me Starblack…

Never thought I would see the day when you have been got Dillinger :wink: .

You only saw the day when Dillinger got shot.

Yes.

Ok, explain my choices:

Best: Django - great acting, music and everything, gritty, downbeat ending and sometimes strangely sarcastic in a way only Corbucci does it.
Worst: China 9, Liberty 37 - Boring without any shooting at all. I’m no shooting maniac but it is after all a (Spaghetti) Western. And it has an irritating feeling of American Western.
Under: Kid Vengeance - Lots of people hate it but still like it a lot.
Over: GBU - Not a big fan of the film at all. I’m not a big fan of Clint’s acting in it either and I don’t like his carachter very much.

Brave of you to set forth such an unconventional view Silence, and we should all respect and applaud you for having the guts to do so.

However, you are clearly quite mad.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:20, topic:1952”]I think all these threads where people just make a list of films is boring and pointless (except the top 20 of course, that’s another thing)

Would be more interesting if you gave your views on why these films are overrated, underrated etc

And it doesn’t matter if some views are a bit controversial[/quote]

Agree. These titles have been discussed as to why some feel these titles are over/under rated. It’s a kind of ‘thread of redundancy thread’.

[quote=“Starblack, post:49, topic:1952”]Brave of you to set forth such an unconventional view Silence, and we should all respect and applaud you for having the guts to do so.

However, you are clearly quite mad.[/quote]

Well put on both fronts!

Anybody who have known me for a while knows so ;).

If a person does not like a film as much as me and say they think it is shit it does not bother me. However if someone drank all my beer I would be very upset.

I’m afraid to fly ENNIOO so you don’t have that problem. If I did fly however, I would add to your beer collection & not take away from it.

Yes, dangerous indeed :wink:

But, just to stir things up further, I’m not talking about whether or not I like a film but whether it deserves respect despite how I feel about it personally. Personally Citizen Kane bores the pants off me but I’m happy to accept it is a well made and influential film. The fact that it doesn’t float my boat doesn’t mean I think it is rubbish. Just not my cup of tea. Consequently, I don’t think it is over rated. I just don’t appreciate its benefits as much as many others do. This comes back to my (possibly pedantic) definition of the term over rated. I don’t enjoy Citizen Kane that much. I don’t think it is over rated.

Cheers Amigo !

[quote=“Dillinger, post:36, topic:1952”]I think these days the most important factorregarding the popularity of SWs, in this case the popularity of the Corbuccis is TV.

In Germany usually DJANGO and GS are being shown, so these two became the most popular ones. On top of that poeple might think (some more speculation):
If this NAVAJO JOE is such a great movie, why isn’t it shown on TV?[/quote]

But it was. And also The Mercenary, Johnny Oro, Companeros. And as often as Django and TGS. At least in the last 15 years.
All these 6 film were and are shown regularly on German TV.

[quote=“Phil H, post:54, topic:1952”]Yes, dangerous indeed :wink:

But, just to stir things up further, I’m not talking about whether or not I like a film but whether it deserves respect despite how I feel about it personally. Personally Citizen Kane bores the pants off me but I’m happy to accept it is a well made and influential film. The fact that it doesn’t float my boat doesn’t mean I think it is rubbish. Just not my cup of tea. Consequently, I don’t think it is over rated. I just don’t appreciate its benefits as much as many others do. This comes back to my (possibly pedantic) definition of the term over rated. I don’t enjoy Citizen Kane that much. I don’t think it is over rated.[/quote]

Great points Phil. I’m curious as to what your definition of overrated actually is.

[quote=“Silence, post:48, topic:1952”]Worst: China 9, Liberty 37 - Boring without any shooting at all. I’m no shooting maniac but it is after all a (Spaghetti) Western. And it has an irritating feeling of American Western.[/quote]Could it be because of American director possibly?

Good question. And one which made me reflect that, invariably, if a film has been well thought of for a long time it is rarely ‘over rated’ even if I’m not that stuck on it. It will usually have qualities which I can accept even if grudgingly.

Where I can find examples of films which I would consider over rated they are usually more recent ones which have had big success or fanfare on release but which I don’t believe will turn into lasting respect. Multi oscar winning films with big box office receipts spring to mind and therefore the word ‘Titanic’ looms its head. Titanic is a film I would call over rated because it won about a million oscars, broke box office records and was cited by loads of people as their favourite film when it came out. It still ranks as one of the most successful films ever made. All this despite the fact it has, cardboard characters and was a classic example of size over substance. Moreover its corn fed script contained dialogue that could literally twist the spleen. That ship just couldn’t sink quick enough for me.

Having said all that I don’t think it will be over rated in 20 years or so. By that time folks will have woken up, smelled the coffee, realised it was off and flushed it down the khazi.

This doesn’t help us in terms of Spaghettis of course because these films have all been around for some time and that is why I wouldn’t call any of the aforementioned ‘canon’ over rated. They’ve been around long enough to have earned their high rating. Whether any of them are my particular favourites or not is irrelevant. Stuff doesn’t stay that well thought of for that long if its crap.

For me it’s an American western anyway.