Spaghetti Western poll

This is the same as the director polls but for all SW’s!

[ul][li]Your favorite Spaghetti Western? (Mine is Django)[/li]
[li]Your least favorite Spaghetti Western? (Mine is China 9, Liberty 37)[/li]
[li]The most underrated Spaghetti Western? (Mine is Kid Vengeance)[/li]
[li]The most overrated Spaghetti Western? (Mine is The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)[/li][/ul]

Fav: Once Upon a Time in the West
Least: Cry Onion or Two Brothers in a Place called Trinity (can’t choose between those two turkeys)
Most Under: Bandidos
Most over: 4 of the Apocalypse

Favorite: For a few dollars more
Least fav: El Puro
Underrated: Tequila Joe
Overrated: Great silence and basically anything directed by Corbucci

Favorite: Once Upon a Time in the West
Least fav: Pistol Packin’ Preacher
Underrated: Scalps
Overrated: Cemetery Without Crosses

Favourite: OUATITW
Least: The Hellbenders
Underrated: Ace High
Overrated: Django

Favorite: Once Upona a Time in the West
Least: Matalo
Underated: The Forgotten Pistolero
Overated: Django Kill

Favorite : GBU
Least : Four Of The Apocalypse
Under : Apocalypse Joe
Over : Great Silence

I’m having trouble believing what I’m reading here.

So far in the most over rated category we have had:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Great Silence
Django
Django Kill
Cemetery Without Crosses
Four of the Apocalypse

With the exception of the last one (which I quite like but I accept is not a classic) these are all great films. In terms of this genre they are clearly some of the most influential and well crafted. How can they be over rated? Even accepting that we all have varying tastes, surely these films deserve the respect they have been given.

I’m going for a lie down.

Favorite : Il mercenario (ultra cool Franco Nero. If I should ever take up smoking it would be because of that movie)
Least : One the Third Day Arrived the Crow (why oh why, William Berger)
Under : Jesse & Lester (Harrison / O’Brien, the comedic equivalent to sliced bread. Yes it IS that good)
Over: Heads I Kill You, Tails You’re Dead! They Call Me Hallalujah (I’m crazy about spaghetti western comedies and have seen this twice but I just can’t get into it. George Hilton should have refrained from making comedies).

Favourite: Great Silence
Least: Storia di karatè, pugni e fagioli (I even managed to watch Sartana in the Valley of Death completely)
Under: California
Over: Sabata

[quote=“Phil H, post:8, topic:1952”]I’m having trouble believing what I’m reading here.

The Great Silence
Django
Django Kill
Cemetery Without Crosses
Four of the Apocalypse

With the exception of the last one (which I quite like but I accept is not a classic) these are all great films. In terms of this genre they are clearly some of the most influential and well crafted. How can they be over rated? Even accepting that we all have varying tastes, surely these films deserve the respect they have been given.

I’m going for a lie down.[/quote]

Phil’s right, this is rather senseless.

We are here not talking about an overrated SW, we are talking about the MOST overrated SW. If GBU (or TGS or Django) is the most overrated, than it must be a bad film.
Not everybody will like them as most SW fans do, but I can’t remember anyone in our forum calling GBU a bad or terrible film (which of course is possible, but I think it hasn’t happen yet).

And for talking about over- or underrated SWs we had already older threads.

My favourite is still OuTW, which is also one of my 4 or 5 favourite films ever.

There were of course also lots of really bad SWs I had the displeasure to watch, but I don’t think very much about them, and I don’t have a clue which was the worst time waster. In fact I don’t remember the titles of many of them, and I don’t see any reason to compare them for deciding which is the worst. It’s absolutely enough to know about a film that it was a boring film. It’s not interesting to think about how boring it was, or if there are even more boring ones.

But we should name boring films so that it is easier to avoid them.

But nobody is calling those movies underrated, they are calling them overrated. I think you misread Phl’s post…

I don’t see anything wrong in calling some of the ‘classics’ overrated. If you think Django is a pile of crap then yes it IS overrated in your eyes. That doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been influential but that’s a whole different discussion.

And yes I agree we have had tons of these best/worst/etc. threads, but then again it is spaghetti western oriented though. 90% of the threads now a days on this forum are not.

[quote=“Phil H, post:8, topic:1952”]I’m having trouble believing what I’m reading here.

The Great Silence
Django
Django Kill
Cemetery Without Crosses
Four of the Apocalypse

I’m going for a lie down.[/quote]

I second that , Phil
Whats next , a poll for the most overrated of all the overrated ones ?

Quite strange choices here:
GBU, The Great Silence, Django, Every Movie by Corbucci … are the most overrated SW but movies like Kid Venegeance, Tequila Joe are the most underrated ???

My favourite is still Il Mercenario.
Least: Giù la testa … hombre!

Most overrated/Most underrated ? Have some troubles with that cause IMO most SW and the Genre itself are very underrated nowadays. There are a lot of wonderful SW like Fury of Johnny Kid, California, Train to Durango, Venegeance is Mine, Silver Saddle … which are famous among SW Fans but outside not many people really care about or underestimate them.
Somehow I thought the Sabata Movies are overrated cause the Sartana Movies with Gianni Garko are better movies.

[quote=“Søren, post:12, topic:1952”]But nobody is calling those movies underrated, they are calling them overrated. I think you misread Phl’s post…

I don’t see anything wrong in calling some of the ‘classics’ overrated. If you think Django is a pile of crap then yes it IS overrated in your eyes. That doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been influential but that’s a whole different discussion.

And yes I agree we have had tons of these best/worst/etc. threads, but then again it is spaghetti western oriented though. 90% of the threads now a days on this forum are not.[/quote]

1. oops of course, I was talking about Over. Not Under. I change it.

2. I also don’t see a problem in calling them overrated. But are they the MOST overrated SWs?

3. Right, the amount of SW discussions is sinking lately. Is everything said by us?

So we have a spaghetti western canon of movies whose merits can’t be denied?

If I can’t see any merits in The Great Silence, a movie that is widely cherished, isn’t that exacly an overrated movie in my eyes. Perhaps the most overrated.

That said, I love all the movies (except from Four of the Apocalypse which is only so-so) that so far has been mentioned as overrated but that doesn’t mean that people aren’t entitled to THEIR opinion. I don’t particular like Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America, another cherished (non-sw) classic, so yes that is overrated in my book.

Favourite: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Least: None, which just shows how new I am to the genre
Underrated: A Fistful of Dollars
Overrated: Once Upon a Time in the West (It’s still a great film, my second favourite actually, but I don’t think it is the best)

Favourite: The Great Silence.

Least fav: Tepepa.

Underrated: El Puro.

Overrated: Il Mercenario.

[quote=“Søren, post:16, topic:1952”]So we have a spaghetti western canon of movies whose merits can’t be denied?

If I can’t see any merits in The Great Silence, a movie that is widely cherished, isn’t that exacly an overrated movie in my eyes. Perhaps the most overrated.

That said, I love all the movies (except from Four of the Apocalypse which is only so-so) that so far has been mentioned as overrated but that doesn’t mean that people aren’t entitled to THEIR opinion. I don’t particular like Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America, another cherished (non-sw) classic, so yes that is overrated in my book.[/quote]

Well, first of all I did accept we all have varying tastes but I guess my point was whether you may like a film or not, more or less than others, I do think there are films which deserve our respect regardless. So, yes, maybe there is a canon. Not one which is above criticism but one which most of us would accept is a decent film even if we don’t rate it as highly as others might. The term ‘over rated’ is possibly the sticking point here. We all have our own definition of what that might actually mean.

Still, if I’ve stirred up a bit of argument then all the better. :wink:

I think all these threads where people just make a list of films is boring and pointless (except the top 20 of course, that’s another thing)

Would be more interesting if you gave your views on why these films are overrated, underrated etc

And it doesn’t matter if some views are a bit controversial