Spaghetti western locations in Almeria

Bookmarked! Thanks, Aldo. Spain looks a lot like California. They both even have Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. I never knew that Nevada meant snow-capped in Spanish until I looked it up today, which is ironic because Nevada, the state, is a desert.

1 Like

Hey all, finally got my computer back. Here are some of my favourites that I took last year.

11 Likes

It’s been ages since I’ve posted on here, but I just want to thank everyone in this thread for giving so many top tips for seeking out the various locations. I’m in Almeria as I type (my first visit), and these posts have been very helpful. It’s certainly very surreal seeing this area with my own eyes after all this time.

3 Likes

It’s a fantastic spot isn’t it? Enjoy

Cheers Phil. Yes, the parts around Tabernas in particular really are breath-taking, and are making me feel like I’ve stepped straight into the films. Some other locations are demanding a leap of the imagination a bit (e.g. looking at a wind farm and thinking “this is Cattle Corner”), but I’ll certainly be viewing the films differently from now on, with more thoughts of production practicalities etc.

1 Like

I remember the wind howling as I walked through the valley in Tabernas. It was freaking awesome.

2 Likes

Me too, … and the sound of cicadas around the Sweetwater ranch, just like OUTW :smiley:

1 Like

Please say there were crickets which got spooked when you walked towards the ranch wearing a duster.

2 Likes

The McBain house (now the saloon in a mocked-up town) was playing the GBU score on a loop this week, which made it hard to hear wildlife. Great music for the visitor of course, but the bar staff had thousand-yard stares that suggested they might not have been sharing my enthusiasm.

3 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

The crickets (cicadas) do stop when you get too close - they’re in the grass and bushes surrounding the site …. and it is bloody surreal!

I’ll see if I can dig out a photo of me in my duster … photo files got lost in a HDD crash, but have them on disc somewhere :no_mouth:

Here it is, Almeria 2008

This one’s at Fort Bravo, mid January and roasting. Felt a bit of a tit initially wearing the duster, but it becomes very natural, very quickly … when in Rome! or Southern Spain :wink:

9 Likes

You should have posted that in The Guess a Movie Screenshot Thread and had us guessing all day. :wink:

2 Likes

Cheers … nice compliment. I actually get more adventurous in later pics, with costume, beard, make-up and lots of dirt … something like the trapper from the Culpepper Cattle Co. :rofl:

1 Like

F*ck me, Doctor Who’s gone to pot, hasn’t it? :smiley:

2 Likes

LOL … the Tardis well disguised :grinning:

Would have made a great gag for the actual ‘Doc Who’ episode, filmed here - The porta potty wasn’t there the following year - The owners put in a fecking swimming pool. hoping to attract more visitors :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

We’ve decided tot take another trip to Almeria (well more I’ve decided :smile:) in about half a years time and I’m hoping to check out the locations I didn’t get chance to see last time. We’re also thinking of taking a seperate trip to Monunment Valley at some point for obvious reasons and I’ll be sure to upload any good photos I take from both trips.

1 Like

Enjoy your trip later.
The more I research SW locations in Spain the more places I add to my list of spots to visit - need a few more trips, especially plan to walk up a few more of the ramblas locations!

Thanks man.

Yes that’s something I plan to do this time round as well. As i posted somewhere else as I first started walking up one of them last time I could here the wind howling and it was freaking electrifying, it’s something I definitely want to do a fair bit more of.

2 Likes

You Guys n Gals enjoy the moment when you get there… We are lucky to be living near to Guadix/Tucumcari/railway stations near to Baza… Its great visiting location after location and so many we have yet to get to see… Tabernas /mini hollywood is an hour away. But our next Recky is the windmills used in various spaghetti westerns near Cabo de Gata Almeria.Also like you have mentioned when traveling North again,Monument Valley is a must…
Just up the road from us the bridge used in Fistful of Dynamite( James Coburn) . Maybe us location freaks are a breed of our own but there is something special to us in these locations…Tucumcari station has a special feeling…(Lee Van Cleef)… This train will stop at Tucumcari lol.