Spaghetti Western DVDs From Japan

There have been some excellent SW DVD releases from Japan over the last five years or so. In fact two really important SWs “Cemetery Without Crosses” and “Face To Face” are only officially available with English audio from Japan. But many of the early releases, including most of the DVDs from Stingray, have long been deleted. Just recently though “Django” was released and nine other films “Django Kill…”, “Texas Addios”, “Today It’s Me, Tomorrow It’s You”, “The Great Silence” (not anamorphic apparently), “My Name Is Nobody”, “Day Of Anger”, “One Silver Dollar”, “The Return Of Ringo”, and “Blindman” are to follow. Most of the new releases seem to be anamorphic and have English, Italian and Japanese audio. I hope this heralds the release of other SWs, both “The Big Gundown” and “A Professional Gun” are not officially available in widescreen with English audio anywhere at the moment.
Here’s a link to the SPO website[url]http://www.cinemart.co.jp/macaroni/#01[/url], can anyone fill us in with more details? my Japanese isn’t too good :stuck_out_tongue:

The “Django” SPO DVD doesn’t have English subtitles only Japanese (the US Blue Underground does) but interestingly when you choose the Italian audio you get the opening titles sung in Italian (unlike on the US Blue Underground release where they are sung in English). Watching the film with Japanese audio is quite an experience ???

like i said on a previous thread today i have the majority of the macaroni releases, but as we all know japanese dvd’s cost the earth and then some.
i wonder if they are going to do boxsets again or just individual releases?

[quote=“The Halitosis Kid, post:1, topic:567”]There have been some excellent SW DVD releases from Japan over the last five years or so. In fact two really important SWs “Cemetery Without Crosses” and “Face To Face” are only officially available with English audio from Japan. But many of the early releases, including most of the DVDs from Stingray, have long been deleted. Just recently though “Django” was released and nine other films “Django Kill…”, “Texas Addios”, “Today It’s Me, Tomorrow It’s You”, “The Great Silence” (not anamorphic apparently), “My Name Is Nobody”, “Day Of Anger”, “One Silver Dollar”, “The Return Of Ringo”, and “Blindman” are to follow. Most of the new releases seem to be anamorphic and have English, Italian and Japanese audio. I hope this heralds the release of other SWs, both “The Big Gundown” and “A Professional Gun” are not officially available in widescreen with English audio anywhere at the moment.
Here’s a link to the SPO website[url]http://www.cinemart.co.jp/macaroni/#01[/url], can anyone fill us in with more details? my Japanese isn’t too good :P[/quote]

I just received a Japanese DVD of “The Mercenary” in the mail today.

I was actually planning on buying “Blindman” soon. I wonder if this would be a superior release that I should wait for.

[quote=“New Brandon, post:4, topic:567”]I just received a Japanese DVD of “The Mercenary” in the mail today.

I was actually planning on buying “Blindman” soon. I wonder if this would be a superior release that I should wait for.[/quote]

Don’t get a Japanese BLINDMAN unless you can speak Italian or read Japanese. it has 2 versions of the film on it, an Uncut on in Italian and a cut one in English.

if you get the German Kotch release it has the uncut version in English.

ike i said on a previous thread today i have the majority of the macaroni releases, but as we all know japanese dvd's cost the earth and then some. i wonder if they are going to do boxsets again or just individual releases?
They are expensive but there are many interesting films unavailable elsewhere (as you already know), in my limited experience (I only own three so far) they are excellent quality and I like the "arty"graphics on the packaging. Here's a link http://global.yesasia.com/en/brPrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-videos/did-6976/[/url] this retailer is in Hong Kong but they price the DVDs in US$. So due to the good £/$ exchange rate and the free shipping they offer, they're a little bit more affordable for us in the UK at the moment. Personally from the ones already listed for release I'm looking forward to "The Return Of Ringo", "One Silver Dollar" and "Day Of Anger" (I wasn't too happy with the quality of the Wild East release). I'm hoping all future SPO SW releases will have English audio. I don't know if they're going to release Boxsets, it looks unlikely from the lack of info on the website.
I just received a Japanese DVD of "The Mercenary" in the mail today
This must be an ebay find right?

Ok not quite the correct place for the following info but “Django Strikes Again” is available officially on DVD in Korea in a good quality NTSC Region 0 widescreen anamorphic release. Basically this has been taken from the old Anchor Bay double “Django/Django Strikes Again” DVD long since deleted. For anyone who’s interested you can pick this DVD up on ebay and have it sent direct from Korea to the UK by air mail for about £5 all in.
Full info on the “Django Strikes Again” Korean Neo Sense DVD can be found on the SWDB wiki http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_2:_il_grande_ritorno[url]http://global.yesasia.com/en/brPrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-videos/did-6976/

Yeah, from the seller spaghettivd has it with under two hours left. That’s who I bought it off, so he might have a few or something. It is a Stingray release.

I think you will find that these are copies.

I thought so too, but the disc itself is very glossy and I’m not sure that could be achieved with a printer. Then again, the copyright info written on the disc is smudged and there are three lines of ink on the disc. The case itself is one of the standard cases you’d find from a DVD-R.

So maybe it is, but that sort of thing doesn’t bother me, I just want a good copy of the movie.

if those macaroni bibles were $100 each i may consider buying one but most places offer them for $150-200 each.

No DVD boxset is worth that, especially when they only contain 4-5 movies.

yeah japanese dvds are ridiculously expensive… time for european and american companies to catch up and release equally good editions. there’s too much stuff that’s just not out yet

[quote=“kevinbellamy, post:10, topic:567”]if those macaroni bibles were $100 each i may consider buying one but most places offer them for $150-200 each.

No DVD boxset is worth that, especially when they only contain 4-5 movies.[/quote]The earlier ones had 4 movies and the later ones 3 (also less English soundtracks as the box sets go on!)

SPO are re-releasing some of their Spaghetti Western DVDs (see http://www.cinemart.co.jp/macaroni/index.html). Details for those not wanting to click the link:

1. Django: March 24
  2. Django Kill!: April 27
  3. Texas Adios: April 27
  4. Today, It’s Me, Tomorrow You: May 25
  5. The Great Silence: May 25
  6. Day of Anger: July 25
  7. My Name is Nobody: July 25
  8. One Silver Dollar: August 24
    9: Return of Ringo: August 24
  9. Blind Man: September 28

The 2 Django discs are apparently carbon copies of the Blue Underground/Anchor Bay releases, and it’s likely that Texas Adios is too. I can’t wait to see what the others are going to be like; I’d love quality versions of Oggi a Me…, Great Silence, Return of Ringo (why no Pistol for Ringo I wonder?) etc

They released all these previously apart from Django.
I wonder if there will be any others that they didn’t previously release.
I’m waiting to hear from anyone if the RETURN OF RINGO is a better print than before.

[quote=“ali, post:13, topic:567”]The 2 Django discs are apparently carbon copies of the Blue Underground/Anchor Bay releases, and it’s likely that Texas Adios is too. I can’t wait to see what the others are going to be like[/quote]Django is the same as the BU disc (except the title theme is also sung in Italian and it has Japanese audio)

I'd love quality versions of Oggi a Me...,

The Oggi a me… domani a te! / Today we Kill… Tomorrow We Die! PAL Region 2 Dutch Filmworks DVD is vastly superior to the US VCI Entertainment disc and can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay :wink:

why no Pistol for Ringo I wonder?
Quote from Sanjuro from the fistful-of-leone forum :- One Silver Dollar is released in Japan as One Silver Dollar of Wilderness and Return of Ringo is released as One Silver Dollar of Wilderness Part 2. That's why these DVDs are released together in Japan.

[quote=“The Halitosis Kid, post:15, topic:567”]Django is the same as the BU disc (except the title theme is also sung in Italian and it has Japanese audio)[/quote]Funny enough i have a 7" of Django from Japan and it is sung in Japanese (most Japanese 7"'s i have are original versions!)

Is it called something else for that release? Can’t find it at all on ebay

[quote=“The Halitosis Kid, post:15, topic:567”]The Oggi a me… domani a te! / Today we Kill… Tomorrow We Die! PAL Region 2 Dutch Filmworks DVD is vastly superior to the US VCI Entertainment disc and can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay ;)[/quote]Is this the one with the hilariously ridicilous cover. My name is Nobody cover with Terence Hill but his head is replaced with Bud Spencer’s head. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes the “doctored picture” I’ve put a small pic of it on the SWDB wiki http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Oggi_a_me…_domani_a_te%21
“Today It’s Me… Tomorrow It’s You!” there were plenty of them a few weeks ago, just keep looking, there are some buy-it-now but if you are prepared to wait for an auction you may get it much cheaper. Just make sure you get the Dutch Filmworks version, good print and anamorphic :wink:

Does anyone know if the re-release editions contain additional special features when compared to the original issues?
(or point me to the relevant thread if I have missed it!).