Spaghetti Must-Have Blu Rays

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:40, topic:3420”]I personally fucking hate Kino and swore I would never give them any of my money[/quote]I’m the same with Arrow, the fanboy and clueless collector’s favourite label!

I know some history behind why Arrow sucks, what’s up with Kino? From what I’ve seen, I’m not crazy about Kino because their blu rays are a bit pricey and they don’t include any extras usually whereas there is usually a non-US release for the same title with good extras

[quote=“autephex, post:42, topic:3420”]I know some history behind why Arrow sucks, what’s up with Kino? From what I’ve seen, I’m not crazy about Kino because their blu rays are a bit pricey and they don’t include any extras usually whereas there is usually a non-US release for the same title with good extras[/quote]I think they may have changed their price structuring, out of the new one’s I’ve got them between £12-£14 just over including delivery. got four so far, Breakheart Pass, Mr. Majestyk, Sabata and The Unforgiven (any good? never seen it before and I do like Lancaster and Huston).

They’ve some great MGM titles coming up.

The Unforgiven is very good, especially if you like intense “family dramas” on the range type Westerns, with the added element of race. I’ve only seen it in fullscreen and I can imagine my appreciation of it would only be increased by seeing it in the correct AR and in HD.

At least Arrow releases come with alot of extras. Kino on the other hand puts ZERO effort into their releases. Decent transfers but with no extras, subs, only one dub, only one version of the movie, shitty menu screens and cover art when the Arrow releases of the same movie have so much more. In many cases, the previously released DVDs (from other companies) have more stuff than the Kino Blu rays. I won’t give money to a company who phones it in and doesn’t care about their fans.

Yeah, I just ordered the Arrow blu ray for Bay of Blood - it has English & Italian audio, English subs, reversible sleeve w/ original cover art, commentary, booklet, mini poster, several featurettes

The Kino release of probably same transfer has only English dubb, no subs at all, and no extras… and is like double the price

Are you serious? Kino covers are much better than Arrows (mainly awful) artwork. Menu screen aren’t too much bother.

[quote=“autephex, post:46, topic:3420”]Yeah, I just ordered the Arrow blu ray for Bay of Blood - it has English & Italian audio, English subs, reversible sleeve w/ original cover art, commentary, booklet, mini poster, several featurettes

The Kino release of probably same transfer has only English dubb, no subs at all, and no extras… and is like double the price[/quote]When I used to waste money on Arrow discs (before I got rid of them all and cut out the cancerous tumor in my collection) I have their Bay Of Blood Blu Ray, the colours look all washed out, the U.S. Anchor Bay DVD looks better.

Going to start putting together a list of the following types of comparisons or info for spaghetti blu ray releases… here’s one, for now

Preparati la bara / Viva Django / Django, Prepare A Coffin
Arrow UK blu ray:

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CTRQL78?ie=UTF8&tag=spaghetti-21

Features:

[ul][li]High Definition digital transfer of the film in 1.66:1 aspect ratio (from the Cineteca Di Bologna restoration)[/li]
[li]English and Italian audio tracks[/li]
[li]Newly translated English subtitles for Italian audio [/li]
[li]Django Explained A new interview with Spaghetti Western expert and author Kevin Grant (08:32 HD)[/li]
[li]Original Trailer[/li]
[li]Collector s booklet by critic and spaghetti western expert Howard Hughes [/li]
[li]Runtime is 91m 56s (DB entry lists 88min which is incorrect)[/li][/ul]

SPECS:
Length: 1:31:56.552 (h:m:s.ms)
Size: 27.807.651.840 bytes
Total Bitrate: 40,33 Mbps

VIDEO:
MPEG-4 AVC Video 34999 kbps 1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1

AUDIO:
LPCM Audio English 1536 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1536 kbps / 16-bit
LPCM Audio Italian 1536 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1536 kbps / 16-bit

German 3L Film blu ray:

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00EVVEDT8?ie=UTF8&tag=italowestern-21

Features:

[ul][li]High Definition digital transfer of the film in 1.66:1 aspect ratio[/li]
[li]German, Italian, English audio tracks [/li]
[li]8-page booklet[/li]
[li]German Trailer[/li]
[li]English Trailer[/li]
[li]German Super-8 version [/li]
[li]Gallery Image Comparison SD / HD[/li]
[li]Forced German subtitles[/li]
[li]German subtitles only[/li][/ul]

SPECS:
Length: 1:31:56.594 (h:m:s.ms)
Size: 22.081.124.352 bytes
Total Bitrate: 32,02 Mbps

VIDEO:
MPEG-4 AVC Video 25000 kbps 1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1

AUDIO:
DTS-HD Master Audio German 1739 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1739 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio English 1589 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1589 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio Italian 1569 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1569 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)

Screenshot comparisons :
(select screenshot, then click on area of screencap to compare by mousing over/out image)

DE 3L Home Entertainment blu-ray vs UK Arrow blu-ray[/url]

UK Arrow blu-ray vs German E-M-S dvd

[url=http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=3260&disc2=2730&hd_multiID=404#auswahl]DE 3L Home Entertainment blu-ray vs German E-M-S dvd[url]http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=3260&disc2=2699&hd_multiID=404#auswahl[/url]

Notes:

The German blu looks a bit better than the UK to most, although some prefer the UK as you can see some things more clearly (basically because of difference in darkness levels so depends on how you prefer the picture). UK Arrow disc can be sometimes washed out or unnatural looking according to some reviews.

Both are a substantial improvement over the DVD

Good stuff autephex, although I’ve already ordered Django, Prepare a Coffin off Amazon as part of their 2 BD for £10 (surprising amount of good cult titles as part of that sale, which continues to the end of September). Having read the reviews, I would perhaps also add that there seems to be some evidence of selective use of DNR on the Arrow.

I also ordered Django Prepare a Coffin as part of that deal. I researched how it compared to the German disc beforehand and determined that the Arrow release looked good enough for me, particularly at such a low price - plus no forced subs. And yeah I did read someone mention that faces can sometimes look waxy, but most of the reviews I read were very positive.

Just viewed Arrow’s BD of Django, Prepare a Coffin. I have to say I prefer the German release’s colour - it’s less washed out, although when watching the Arrow in motion, it’s not really an issue (at least for me), even if there aren’t any real deep blacks on view. There is a trace of waxiness in close-ups, nothing too problematic or compromising, but again, for those who are very sensitive to its presence, it is there. The Italian dub is a lot clearer than the English track, and so that was the one I listened to. Extras are sparse, but appreciated; six minutes of Kevin Grant on the film (which uses the SWDB as a source at one point!); he’s very lucid and engaging, along with Howard Hughes in the booklet. If you’re German, I’d say go with your release, judging by the caps, but for English speakers, I imagine this is going to be the best there is.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:29, topic:3420”]Exactly. My Italian TV recording is 92m37s PAL.

Certificate n. 66900 July 11, 1975
Declared m.2750
Verified m.2640 = 96m30s [/quote]

The version of Cry Onion on the Blu runs indeed only 79 min, and is according to Koch taken from the original Italian theatrical negative, and also released with this length in Italy on DVD. The 97 min version was prepared for TV, and is only available in weak quality, and Koch had only the rights to the theatrical version anyway. That’s what a Koch member says who is also an expert for Spagies.

I was already at bed but heard the call of Cipolla Colt! I checked the Blu now, just in case, and yeah 79min. Damnit!

But I also checked my Italian DVD (this one http://www.amazon.it/Cipolla-Colt-Franco-Nero/dp/B001E5JJ7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409693435&sr=8-1&keywords=cipolla+colt). 83min30sec! Yeaaahh!
But I checked the disc with several players and all of them said the framerate is 50… why? It doesn’t look interlaced. 50 is still PAL though right? :stuck_out_tongue: I’m actually quite sick at the moment so don’t feel like investigating more and maybe I just aren’t capable of understanding something simple now…

The only other Italian DVD I have ever seen (being sold that is, I don’t think I have it but not sure) is the Hobby&Work DVD (which I think was only sold at newsstands amongst magazines?).

Hobby&Work seems only the distributor on it, the other two companies are the same as the other DVD so I think it is likely it is of similar length. (and the 100min on the back cover is obviously wrong :wink: ).

EDIT: About the 96-97min… would they put an intermission into the film (as a joke?) for a TV screening and not theatrical? Because the long version has one at about 44-45min, says end of part one or something like that and then soon continues with part 2,

I actually bought the DVD version of the franco Nero Koch set, Cipolla Colt runs 1:27:33, I presume this is the German theatrical release.

The intermission is not a joke but in fact was inserted to give the home viewer opportunity to restock on onions without missing any important details which would leave the viewer confused about what is going on

[quote=“autephex, post:55, topic:3420”]The intermission is not a joke but in fact was inserted to give the home viewer opportunity to restock on onions without missing any important details which would leave the viewer confused about what is going on[/quote] ;D

LOL

Thanks for the blu review on Viva Django, John Welles

Just a reminder note that the German release does include English audio, just forces German subtitles, and there are no English (or other) subtitles on the disc at all - so would not be able to view the Italian dub w/ English subs like on the Arrow disc.

Personally, I just won’t buy releases with forced subtitles at all.

Did anyone here not buy, or wish they hadn’t bought, the newly remastered GBU because of the filters? I haven’t seen it yet and I’m not sure what to make of this. My initial reaction is that its pretty shitty to do something like this when it was never intended by the original film maker…

Well Salvati said Leone wanted yellow. So they made it green.

I definitely won’t be watching it like this so I totally disagree with last.caress on the color issue but I have said it before that with this one everyone should probably see it in motion (by whatever means you want :wink: ) before deciding if they like it or not. I don’t think there is any white left in the movie now but the human eye has the capacity to auto balance whites and stuff so…

I actually argued about this with someone from the UK, I hope it wasn’t last.caress ;), at the blu-ray.com forum who said he saw plenty of blue skies in the film. Didn’t want to provide me with any time codes though. Oh and I posted this:

Here are the sky colors from about 18 (I already forgot the exact number…) different scenes in the movie. I tried to choose parts of the sky that made me get the most diverse range of colors here (some of the more yellow ones are basically cloud colors from shots where there were only clouds in the sky). Couldn’t get any closer to blue no matter where I clicked with the eyedropper. But it is entirely possible I simply missed something.
And yes this is obviously a very accurate highly scientific foolproof method.

Didn’t convince him though because he saw plenty of blue. When I explained eyes balancing and stuff didn’t matter because he saw blue so there is blue. And I don’t doubt he saw plenty of blue.
But check out for example this Color Illusions and Color Blind Tests
Every single thing there will probably totally confuse your eyes on what colors are there exactly, yet because you saw blue there must be blue? (btw I didn’t post this link or question at the thread, figured it is best to just move on which is why I hope last.caress is not that guy :wink: ).

It is the same as with the LOTR FOTR EE Blu-Ray which had a blanket green tint applied over the entire film except part of the ending credits and then we have internet “full” of people claiming there is white snow. No there is not.
This (the upper picture) is how the disc was and is (as nobody has been able to prove a different “fixed” version was brought for sale).

So anyways the point of all this was that when you’re viewing it in motion yourself the colors might look just fine regardless of what the screenshots show. It wont’ change what is on the disc though. :stuck_out_tongue: And for whatever reason it looks exactly like the screenshots when I watch it so… I won’t be watching it. There is a “fixed” version of 4k transfer available at the originaltrilogy.com forums I think but you can’t really fix everything and it will still be the opinion of some people who certainly also can’t know how Leone wanted it.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if somebody fucked up the GBU transfer after Salvati had been involved. Has happened before (well, with other films and people of course… :wink: ).
Or maybe they were making it more yellow as Salvati wanted and claimed Leone wanted but they accidentally also made it green and they just didn’t notice like some won’t notice with the actual Blu.

I don’t know but I can’t accept this is what Leone wanted. 8)