Spaghetti Must-Have Blu Rays

Hmm I can definitely notice when these filters are applied, its done all the time now it seems and is very obvious. I was planning on buying the disc but this has been bothering me…

Maybe I will take your advice and watch the video first.

Why in the hell must these studios constantly do this crap? Why can’t they just put it out in original format without messing?

This film is universally loved, has seen so many messed up releases… its un-excusable

I’m mostly not very picky with the picture quality of films, and when I compared the screenshots of the new MGM transfer and the Itlaian Blu, it was about fifty-fifty which screenshots looked better for me.

Actually I expected to like the Blu, but then it became the first Blu/DVD for which I changed the color settings of my TV. For me all the colors did not look right, even the whole film looked less “new” than most other remastered films of the 60s.
With less color the Blu looked ok, but, well, not great.

Good is that the Almeria desert looks now yellow instead of grey (I assume it looks grey in reality), and I remember the sand from the TV and VHS versions of the 80s as yellow, and I’m sure that Leone preferred the landscape in that yellow instead of grey, but as the Blu now looks it is disappointing.

Well, Tijuana versions taken from the Italian Blu are already in work, and then we will have this:

A privately done 4K scan of an Italian IB print of the GBU. And this print contains a scene, or at lesst frames from a scene, which was in the screenplay, but so far not in any available version.

Wow that private version sounds very interesting would love to see that happen. The price they have stated for those reels is surprisingly cheap compared to prices I have sometimes seen for 35mm reels of much lesser films…

What’s up with the Tijuana blu, will it have the English dub, mono or otherwise?

I’m sure there are already Tijuana Editions of the Mondo Blu with the English mono audio. But I was talking indeed only about a German version.

The new MGM Blu has at least the original German mono audio instead of the fake 5.1 sound with renewed sounds. And the older dub, which was made in the 90 for TV, for the un-dubbed scenes, which before were only part of the Italian version.

A private scan…I am impressed !

Definitely not me, fella. :slight_smile: I post here, at a football fansite and occasionally on a wrestling website or two (don’t judge me! I am last.caress, I am forty two years of age and I like WWE! There, I said it!). Blu-ray.com is a great resource but nitpicking over the finer points isn’t important enough to me to start forumming over there (that sounds as though I’m being dismissive of those who like to discuss the finer points of blu-ray prints but that’s not my intention at all; Diff’rent Strokes and all that).

All I DO know is that the new TG,tB&tU is bloody superb, and our man Sundance here is clearly a John Wayne fan, sent here to sabotage it! ;D

(I probably should add, for full disclosure, that I am colour-blind. Whether that effects my take on the new MGM transfer I’m not sure, but I should probably mention it anyway :slight_smile: )

My god this sounds amazing… :’( I’m crying tears of joy I hope this gets released!

I wonder if and how they plan on sorting out licensing on that private scan. Guy should start a kickstarter or indigogo it would be funded in no time

Wouldn’t hold your breath: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is still in copyright in both America and Europe, so any distribution of it (if it really is a 4K scan - I would want to know who the person had access to such scanning equipment) would surely be illegal, which rules out kickstarter at any rate…

They may still do it, law be damned

If a smallscale release, or done through foreign channels, could fly under the radar

shouldn’t be a big deal to get a scan, just gotta pay for the service or it sounds like they may have people in the biz

I think I’m going to head down south past the border and pick up one of those copies from Tijuana until a better release comes along…

MGM isn’t getting any more dollars from this gringo

[quote=“autephex, post:71, topic:3420”]I think I’m going to head down south past the border and pick up one of those copies from Tijuana until a better release comes along…

MGM isn’t getting any more dollars from this gringo[/quote]

My buddy Fernando Sancho, you may know him as Esteban Fuentes, says “Fuck Yeah! Go for it Amigo!”

I’m a bit confused…I have the 2009 trilogy blu ray set…but is the newly remastered GBU blu released next month (well, already released in the trilogy set from this year) really worth buying? If FOD and FDM are the same as the 2009 set I’ll just wait til next month to get the standalone GBU…but…they added yellow tint to the picture? I don’t get it…either way it would be like my 5th copy of GBU lol.

The old MGM blu ray is really not blu ray quality at all… its more of an upscaled DVD. So in this regard, the newly remastered disc from MGM would be a very noticeable upgrade. But if the tinted filter is a problem for you, then you may want to consider your purchase

FOD and FDM are both the same as previous releases. No point in buying the box set.

Here are screencap comparisons of the new MGM 4k remaster versus the Italian Mondo blu ray. You can also select the original MGM blu ray for comparison, as well as the MGM DVD

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4091&disc2=4088&hd_multiID=1687#auswahl

A search for “The Good The Bad and The Ugly Best Quality murdoc47” will lead you to a publicly available version of the Italian Mondo blu with English dub, if you like.

You can also get the mono English dub sync’d for this release here, although it appears you must register and PM the topic’s author to get it:

Thanks so much, autephex, that was very helpful! 8) I think I’ll stick with what I have…but I’ll definitely get my hands on the new DYS blu-ray.