Spaghetti Must-Have Blu Rays

Agree with you here. I would say just provide an overview of the favored versions with differences noted when there are multiple options.

Really what i would like to see is more comprehensive info on releases like reviews on blu-ray.com. The current DB listings are quite sparce informational wise and its not the easiest to search through for blu release info.

i’d be willing to help sort this out where i can

We also need to increase search engine visibility and i can give some insight there

I got that runtime from one of Sundance’s posts about the set which he owns so should be correct

I have no doubt, in any case the Italian Theatrical is 25 minutes longer (see Cipolla Colt topic). :wink:

So I am guessing this GBU that is on pre-order will be the stand alone release of the new remaster?

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Bad-Ugly-Blu-ray-Wallach/dp/B00MA159L2?ie=UTF8&tag=spaghetti-western-20

I see that DYS is also scheduled for blu-ray release on same day

The U.K. one has been out since June.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Good-Ugly-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B00JQ8HW7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409398842&sr=8-1&keywords=good+bad+blu

Ah, but Amazon says: Sorry, we can’t deliver this item to the United States

The actual runtime is 79 min.

Again Jonathan, are you really sure that the Italian version runs 96 min? According to Koch this is the uncut Italian theatrical version.

The Italian version on the Koch disc is 79? Did I really got it so wrong even though I wrote the message in an earlier thread while looking at disc… Damnit! Well, I guess it was bound to happen that I would make my first mistake ever. :wink:

As for the actual Italian theatrical length… I have no idea but:

1:32:26 in PAL = more than 96 minutes NTSC. So the Koch disc German version is about 5 minutes shorter.

EDIT: The version at Cinemageddon seems to be the Italian DVD with added English audio (there were a few lines left in Italian only, the rats?) and the length is 83m31s (so a third Italian version…). If my memory is correct (doubtful now :wink: ) the Spanish DVD is somewhat longer than that, probably around the same length as the Koch Blu.

EDIT 2:

I think it says that because a marketplace seller is selling it cheaper than Amazon but through the Fulfilled by Amazon service and so Amazon has that as the first buy option on the page and that particular seller doesn’t want Amazon to send it outside UK (I don’t really understand why considering Amazon handles everything and the disc is already at Amazon warehouse or something). This has been a problem for quite a long time now with every Amazon, and I can’t understand why Amazon doesn’t filter away those results automatically since it knows where we live (if we are signed in). You can find the proper Amazon listing amongst the list of marketplace sellers. :-\

Exactly. My Italian TV recording is 92m37s PAL.

Certificate n. 66900 July 11, 1975
Declared m.2750
Verified m.2640 = 96m30s

Yeah I forgot about that. What was going through their minds when they did that.

Btw is Sabata worth getting? If its a substantial upgrade from SD I’ll get it, if its only a nominal improvement than I think I’ll pass.

I watched Cipolla Colt in Italian and still enjoyed it (I don’t understand a word of Italian), it was easy enough to follow a lot of the jokes were visual.

If I remember right, reports that the video suffers from some big issues that I determined would make it a no buy for me. I’ll see if I can find the info and post back

Sabata - US Kino & DE Explosive blu-rays

I didn’t know that Kino had released a US blu for Sabata just last month:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Sabata-Blu-ray/B00K6D1QOA?ie=UTF8&tag=spaghetti-western-20

Blu-ray.com review for Kino US release:
Sabata Blu-ray (Ehi amico... c'è Sabata, hai chiuso!)

Amazon reviewer:

Kino Lorber Video has licensed the MGM library of titles to the Blu-Ray format that were released previously on DVD over a decade ago. Here we have Director Gianfranco Parolini 's aka Frank Kramer's brilliantly entertaining 'SABATA aka 'EHI, AMICO...C' E SABATA, HAI CHIUSO'-1969, the first of a supposed trilogy featuring Lee Van Cleef in the title role (although the character is not mentioned by name in the film). Released in 2005 in a 3 disc DVD set by MGM entitled the 'SABATA' trilogy , the transfer to the Blu-Ray format is outstanding. The colors are richer, the photography by Sandro Mancori is finally appreciated in 1080P 2.35 wide screen making the images sharper, clearer and eye-popping, and the music score by Marcello Giombini stands out rather than being stifled in the background as in the past. Kino releases the film in a no frills package with just an original trailer its only extra.

German Explosive blu:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ELTOAIY?ie=UTF8&tag=italowestern-21

Blu-ray.com review:
Sabata Blu-ray (DigiPack) (Germany)

Review in German in the DB:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sabata_BluRay_Rezension

Translated text from DB review:

Explosive Media presents the film for the first time as restored High Definition remastered, which is really good. The image (2.35: 1, 16: 9) looks great and gives little cause to complain. The only drawback is, as with many such quite aged films that grit in dark or night scenes can be clearly seen. Otherwise, the image contrast is clear, the colors happy and tidy. Also print damage, if not perfect, is largely removed.

German, Italian and English audio dubs included. All three are presented in Dolby Digital 2.0 format and sound quite good, but they don’t quite meet HD expectations. Nonetheless there are at most minimal difference in sound to recognize but only if you listen very closely. German and English subtitles are included for fans of the Italian dub.

The US Kino blu does not include any subtitles & only English dub.

The German disc beats it down on the extras:

Explosive Media has put together a nice set of extras for this set, on the third disc (PAL DVD). First and foremost is a 43 minute documentary, His Name is Sabata, featuring newly filmed (in Italian) interviews with Italian film historian Fabio Melelli and Director Gianfranco Parolini (aka Frank Kramer). They discuss the origin of the film series and the involvement of Alberto Grimaldi. Parolini is a very entertaining man, and during the interview also offers up a few tidbits about his LVC film God's Gun. English subtitles are available throughout.

Next we have a vast array of trailers, starting with 47 minutes worth of LVC Spaghetti Western trailers. Sabata is represented by a lone English trailer.

Lastly there are various lobby cards, posters, etc… set to the soundtrack of the film.

Packaging for the Explosive release is also quite nice.

Both are MPEG-4 AVC 1080p with aspect ratio of 2.34:1 & on 25GB discs.

I swear that I had read a review posted in these forums saying that the video on the Explosive release suffered very noticeably from some kind of ghosting or similar effect, but I can’t seem to locate the post yet.

Also the bit about Kino licensing the MGM library for blu ray release is very interesting. There are quite a few potential releases, including The Hills Run Red, Death Rides A Horse, A Minute To Pray A Second to Die, The Mercenary, Navajo Joe, and of course more…

Ah, I located the post about the Sabata blu-ray I was referring to, never got any second confirmation on this from anyone else though?

http://forum.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/topic,741.msg161409.html#msg161409

[quote=“AngelFace, post:963, topic:660”]Well I watched my Sabata Blu Ray today, the picture quality is great but the motion has a weird jumping, jerking thing going on like there is a frame too many or too little. It is especially during secenes of movement and camera moves. I wonder is it the disc or the player?

There doesn’t seem to be any blurring just a slight jerk in the movement, making people move slightly unnaturally.

The interview extra was nice, I’ve always wanted to see an interview with Parolini.[/quote]

[quote=“AngelFace, post:966, topic:660”]Im watching it in Europe on a Philips player, no problems with my Exlposive Media Big Gundown or my Koch Tepepa. Will try them again now.

There doesn’t seem to be any blurring just a slight jerk in the movement, making people move slightly unnaturally.[/quote]

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:29, topic:3420”]Exactly. My Italian TV recording is 92m37s PAL.

Certificate n. 66900 July 11, 1975
Declared m.2750
Verified m.2640 = 96m30s [/quote]

When i wrote the 79 min information it already felt wrong, but I took it from OFDB, a kind of German IMDB. There was an exact time given with 79:06 min, but I think now it is a writing mistake. It probably should be 97:06 min.
I also remember that the shorter German version contains scenes which are not in the Italian version, otherwise the including of the Italian version does not make any sense.

I’ll try to verify this.

[quote=“autephex, post:26, topic:3420”]Ah, but Amazon says: Sorry, we can’t deliver this item to the United States[/quote]Surely that’s from an amazon seller and not amazon themselves.

Like Sundance says, its probably just a third party seller that is defaulted to for whatever reason as the Amazon fulfilled price and that seller doesn’t ship to US. I haven’t checked for that particular title yet because there’s other titles I’d like to get sooner than GBU, so don’t really have any problem with waiting till the US release is out

Thanks for the links auto. I personally fucking hate Kino and swore I would never give them any of my money, so I might look for a used copy of this.