Sonny & Jed / La banda J. & S. Cronaca criminale del Far West (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)

I know itā€™ll probably be in your book but you know, we asked for questions. Can we hear her answers? I for one donā€™t want to wait that long to hear first hand on one of my favorite films. And if I see your book, Iā€™ll buy it. :wink:

Well? What did she have to say?

Unfortunately, the interview never took place.
I contacted her secretary , who was very nice, and plans were made but nothing ever happened.
The last time I heard from them was some time ago when Susan sent me a personal message informing me on a good time to conduct the interview (in the email she also stated she has fond memories of filming with Milian), naturally I sent her my answer email and I never heard from her again.

It certainly isnā€™t the first time thatā€™s happened.
It took a whole year for Gianfranco Parolini to get back to me after promising to sit down and do the interview.
People are just busy I guess.
I bought the new Sonny & Jed dvd and plan to use it as a bargaining chip for Mrs. George.
Letā€™s see if I can re-kindle that relationship.
Wish me luck.

Luck on that.

Good luck indeed !, and keep trying :slight_smile: .

As I rewatched the film it occurred to me that Corbucci was obviously making some sort of western version of La Strada. Similarities are too strong to deny it, ending is different though (better in S&J -actually I think itā€™s one of the best endings in any film Iā€™ve seen). I didnā€™t remember how naive, little bit dim-wit character Sonny is as is Gelsomina in La Strada and Jed doesnā€™t differ much from Zampano (though if possible heā€™s more likable than Quinn).

Beautifully shot film with great acting from the two main actors. minor flaw in the film is Savalaā€™s character, heā€™s good at beginning but when heā€™s blinded heā€™s just pathetic and isnā€™t much of a villain. Or maybe Corbucci is making a joke here: Blinded Franciscus should be seen as the real hero of the movie (like most Corbucci heroes heā€™s too disabled.)

Iā€™ll give it strong 4/5, probably wonā€™t get to my top20 but itā€™s somewhere between my 21-30 favorites.

Good point

Havenā€™t seen both films in more then fifteen years, but my memory seems to say ā€˜yesā€™
Iā€™ll check later if Italian critics have made the link, they most probably have

A bit uneven imo and quite far from my favourite ā€˜mysterious strangerā€™ type of spags. I still miss the explosive action scenes that Corbucci used to do in his previous westerns.

Well, I got back to them on the 25th of last month and I finally received an email today.
Looks like the interview is pulling through again.

Cool beans.

Does the video on the CultCine disc seem jerky to anyone else? To me, it seems to have the jerky video effect you get from bad encoding/conversionā€¦ I canā€™t tell if its that or if the video has been over-sharpened and its messing with my eyes

My copy of the Cultcine one is not jerky. But the picture is very sharp like you say. Had to lower the brightness on my T.V when I viewed.

Hmm, maybe its just that thenā€¦ The jerkyness is not extremely noticeable, like when a dvd skips, but more of a subtle effectā€¦ kind of like the Wild East release of A Long Ride From Hell- the movement in the video looks strange but I canā€™t put my finger on it

Would like to see the original French disc to see if it has the same issue

Would be good to know yes.

I think you just want to not like it, autephex. :wink:

I donā€™t need a ā€œjerkyā€ video to not like this movie. ;D
It isnā€™t completely awful, but I really donā€™t care very much for it.
And it isnā€™t just because Tomas Milian is hamming it up way too much in the film, either.
I have never really been able to pinpoint what it is, but it just seems to me that something is missing from the film.

Just meā€¦

Hmmā€¦
I understand perfectly the type of problem you are talking about, autephex, that is an issue I have with a lot of DVD-Rā€™s I get in trade.
But, I have never noticed that being an issue on the WE release of LONG RIDE FROM HELL.

Honestly Iā€™d just like to know if the French disc has the same issue because Iā€™m fairly obsessive about keeping the quality as best as it can be. Iā€™ve had experience with converting movies from PAL to NTSC and also re-encoding and have run into the same kinds of problems, so I generally am able to see these kinds of things more than someā€¦

I think it also varies depending on the TVā€¦ I have two TVs and notice it more on one TV than the other

My Wild East dvd has the same movement you mention.

This kinda goes very off topicā€¦

Itā€™s a giftā€¦ and a curse. Well, I think it is something anyone can learn. Spotting all kinds of errors and ghosting and jerky movements and missing frames and whatever. The more you know about the issues and look for them, the more you start noticing them until finally you canā€™t enjoy anything because the discs are all so full of stuff that could have been done better if people had cared more. :wink: And even though you are right, if you talk too vocally about the problems people will get annoyed and will mail bomb you into oblivion.

Nowadays I think some discs that used to look quite good to me couple of years ago are actually quite bad. And just recently I viewed the Raro release of No Room To Die and it looked quite good on my old 32" TV, was happy to see even some grain ALTHOUGH it somehow seemed as if it were in front of the image instead of in it. But then I put it on my computer drive and viewed in full hd monitor and oh my god how horribly filtered shit it is. :wink: And I donā€™t know if it is an automated scratch removal or what but in the end duel parts of Steffenā€™s fingers are missing in several frames (probably thought they were dirt and removed them) and in an earlier scene there is something really strange going on with Ricardo Garroneā€™s cheek and around his tie.

I also can quite often spot compression artifacts when playing movies and then I absolutely have to rewind back and notice in excitement that I was rightā€¦ ONE FRAME HAS COMPRESSION ARTIFACTS. Or there was some dirt or scratch on screen (which btw donā€™t really bother me, they kinda belong in the film experience :wink: ).

I donā€™t have cultcines S&J disc and wonā€™t be getting it, but somehow I think there is something wrong with it. It is maybe something some players can just handle better. Some of Global Videoā€™s discs (which btw are PAL to NTSC transfers) play so horribly on my systems that I canā€™t watch them at all yet they work fine on someone elseā€™s player/tv.
Or maybe you are just now seeing things differently? :smiley: You mentioned in another thread WEā€™s Long Ride From Hellā€¦ I canā€™t remember there being anything more wrong in it than there is with lots of their other discs. Most of them are probably poor PAL to NTSC transfers because it seems to me there is more going on in them than just normal interlacing. Maybe you should check their other titles from around the same time. Or maybe my system just hid whatever problems there are. Although I do have to ask if a normal interlaced NTSC disc is supposed to have frames like this (when deinterlaced) http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/screenshots/long_ride_from_hell/WE_PDVD_043.PNG

Oh and older TVs are not progressive (but the new LCDs are?) while computer monitors are. So the interlaced discs should look better on regular TV than on computer because the computer monitor has to deinterlace the image which is never a good thing. And if the LCD TVs are progressive, then I would think anything interlaced would have some problems and soon when all we have is progressive screens then most of our discs will be crap. Maybe.

Anyways Iā€™m no expert on any of this. Too much information to learn.

Good post Sundance. Sometimes the more you know depending on the type of person you are can be a good thing or bad thing. Myself I do like talk about disc problems, but aware like you say some people will get annoyed by it.