Sonny & Jed / La banda J. & S. Cronaca criminale del Far West (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)

I must say that I disagree with Tomas playing the same character over and over. I mean even when he played Cuchillo a second time in Run Man Run, he portrayed him differently than he did in The Big Gundown. His character in Django Kill was unlike any of his other performances and his character Chaco(sp?) was unlike any of his other performances. Sure he has certain qualities that he puts into all of his characters, but I believe he managed to make each and every character he played (that Iā€™ve seen) different and unique.

I agree there is a difference with Milianā€™s performance in The Big Gundown and Run Man Run, he is far more irritating in Run Man Run.

1 Like

I will give you that his performance in Django Kill was uniqueā€¦ but as a whole he comes across as playing the same character over and over again, with only minor differences each time. This is nothing uncommon for spaghetti actors and is fine if you like the character, but for me Milian is usually more annoying than anything. Often I find myself not watching a film because he is in it.

I donā€™t know if you meant that as a joke ENNIOO, but that had me laughing pretty good :smiley:

I try to please where I can :smiley: .

My two bits:

Milian is a camilian. I do not believe he plays the same type of character over and over asgain. In the Bounty Killer, he is a man who doesnā€™t really care about anything. He has no strong motives oremotions. But in Django kill, he is a man who is in fact affected physically and emotionally by the end. Run Man Run, he is more of a cowardly, less confident character. More sneaky and less crudethan Jed. The closest character to Jed played by Milian is Vasco even though Jed is far more vulgar and bad.

Not to mention the epileptic albino!

I knew I was forgetting one. Good catch korano. Also Four of the Apocalypse, The White, the Yellow, and the Black(havenā€™t viewed), Oā€™ Cangaceiro(havenā€™t viewed)

So I suppose I am being a bit unfair towards Milian, but my feelings about him still do not change :smiley:

heā€™s still got these, which are a pretty good number of films for this type of character
Big Gundown
Run Man Run
Companeros
Sonny & Jed
Tepepa

?

He doesnā€™t always play a similar character but he plays a similar character (with minor differences) often enough for it to get tiring. I watched FOTA without knowing he was in it. One of his best performances in one of his worst movies. I agree that Djang Kill is another stand out performance but for me they are rare.

What about Death Sentence, Face to Face, Here We Go Again, Eh Providence?. I think he gives pretty amazing varied performances in these.
Not to mention his crime films, probably the genre he was best in imo, but weā€™re talking about Westerns.

Agree. He is one of the greatest actors in the genre. OK, he performed in some bad movies as well, so what? Who didnā€™t?

The thing for me is, I donā€™t consider any of his spaghettis to be bad films. I like them all. However, his character does much to detract from my enjoyment of the films, which is why I take issueā€¦ great film, annoying character

The above statements are in referrence to the Cuchillo type character only

LOL

In my opinion those are some of the most annoying shown in the entire genre.

Iā€™m with korano, one of my favorite Corbucci movies and easily 4/5. I like the non-pc characters and language used in film. Sonnyā€™s and Jedā€™s relationship is pretty fucked up and does have some tone of s/m but that just makes it more interesting to me.

havenā€™t watched it for a while though but thatā€™s constant problem with me nowadays, I just got too much swā€™s to watch.

I hear you manā€¦ it gets hard to keep up. Hell, it gets hard to even keep track of them. But I love it, always unwatched spaghettis waiting for me

And sometimes I have several versions of the same spaghetti which adds to the mix :stuck_out_tongue: .

My take on this film.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sonny_and_Jed_Review_by_Phil_H

I actually think this is one of Corbucciā€™s better films but I can understand why some donā€™t like it.

Very good review, Phil!

Just watched it again after a while. Still as good. Milian is really unlikeable here. But His character is a very different type of Spaghetti hero. Doesnā€™t even really look typically Spaghetti with his big coats, vests, scarfs, ans Beret. But thatā€™s probably why I enjoy the film. The character of Jed is very different. His actions feel realistic in depiction of real western characters. Sexist, sadistic, violent, hateful, and hateable.

It also doesnā€™t really feel too Corbucci esque. The strong role for women, slower action, and lack of Franco Nero sort of take away from Classic Corbucci. But itā€™s all good,

I recently got a pristine copy of this and flipped through it.
There is some great cinematography in here.
I could never appreciate it with the awful bootleg I had.

I recognise that it isnā€™t anywhere near Corbucciā€™s best but I really like it.
Mrs. George is gorgeous as usual.
Susan remembers the film, and Milian, fondly.

Nice to hear.