Some questions on "Django"

(Austin Fisher) #1

Hi SWDB peeps. I’m trying to get a book project underway about Django, and am conducting a (hopefully) wide-ranging survey about its reception patterns around the world and across the generations. I’ve already posted this up on the SWDB Facebook page, so apologies to those who have already responded. Thought I should try here too, if you’re game. It’s very brief and to the point, as follows:

1. Age 2. Nationality 3. Where/when did you first see Django? 4. Did you have any preconceptions about the film before you saw it?

Utmost gratitude extended to all who partake.

(Yodlaf Peterson) #2

2.English
3.Can’t remember, sorry ::slight_smile: , 14 or so?
4.All I knew was that it was a western

(Austin Fisher) #3

Thanks Yodlaf. Just one thing: was it on VHS or TV?

Perhaps I should make clearer: I’d like to know the format too (DVD, VHS, cinema, TV etc).

(Yodlaf Peterson) #4

[quote=“Austin Fisher, post:3, topic:2607”]Thanks Yodlaf. Just one thing: was it on VHS or TV?

Perhaps I should make clearer: I’d like to know the format too (DVD, VHS, cinema, TV etc).[/quote]VHS :wink:

(LankyFellow) #5

1 - 41
2 - German
3 - 1982 VHS
4 - The same as Yodlaf,but i can’t know scarcely what a western,it’s still the second best SW imo,good luck Austin

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #6
  1. 30
  2. Canadian
  3. In 2007 at home, Blue Underground DVD
  4. I knew it was one of the best and most popular non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns and that Nero, whom I had never previously seen act, was supposed to be one of the top leading men of the genre.

(I love you M.E. Kay) #7
  1. 18
  2. Canadian
  3. Saw it at home (DVD), something like a year and a half ago.
  4. I had already seen Corbucci’s The Great Silence and I was aware of Django’s reputation, but I still didn’t know what to expect.

(Andy) #8
  1. 26
  2. Canadian
  3. 2005 on DVD
  4. I hadn’t seen any Corbucci westerns yet and didn’t know who Franco Nero was but I knew the film was an important one for the genre.

(Extranjero) #9

Age - 46
Nationality - British
First saw Django on the old Inter-Ocean Video VHS label in about 1985.
I was already obsessed by it because I knew it had been refused a cinema certificate in the UK (which of course made it a must-see!), and after reading Chris Frayling’s synopsis of its mayhem in his book Spaghetti Westerns.

I’ve watched it countless times since then - still one of my all time favourites.

(Pacificador) #10
  1. 38
  2. Canadian
  3. 2007 on DVD at home as a result of this fine forum.
  4. I knew it was well received by this forum but that’s about it.

(chuck connors brother) #11

2.Australia
3.It was 2004, VHS
4.I thought it wouldn’t be that great… hearing it was banned in England at one time had me interested for some reason, and it was my first non Leone SW (along with Death Rides a Horse).

(Austin Fisher) #12

Many thanks everyone: keep 'em coming! I’m already getting some very interesting patterns emerging (and, as I suspected, the UK ban seems to have played quite a role in fostering the film’s cult status).

One other thing I am wondering about “Django”, which some of you may be able to help with: does anybody have any info on its release patterns in the US? Howard Hughes writes that it failed to gain a certificate there, but I have received some responses from the US stating that it was shown in cinemas in the 1960s. Was it perhaps released in grindhouses only?

(Bill san Antonio) #13
  1. 30
  2. Finland
  3. I think it was 2001, I watched the Anchor Bay dvd.
  4. After Leone films I was looking for some more sw’s and this one was highly rated at the swwb. I thought it would be more like a rip-off of a Fistful of Dollars then though.

(Stanton) #14
  1. 48 (arrghh)
  2. Germany
  3. ca 1980 in a cinema
  4. Django was very popular here in Germany, and even if I never had seen a scene of it before I actually watched it, I was very eager to see it because it had this very special reputation. And it was one which was still shown in theatres from time to time. My 3rd SW after one on TV and OuTW also in cinema.
    I somehow expected the score to be more like the one of OuTW, and I expected Django to be more taciturn than he actually was. And back then I was already a bit disappointed with the 3 big action scenes (which are not that good, especially in relation to the excellently directed short shoot-outs ) and generally some parts of the weaker 2nd half of the movie. But overall I liked it.

And I have re-watched it very often since then on TV, VHS and DVD. The powerful and mesmerizing images, especially in the 1st half and at the ending, are outstanding.

(El Topo) #15
  1. 39
  2. Portugal
  3. round about 1990 or something
  4. I actually had seen Django II or The return of Django first :o yeah I know, so I rented the first one (was not easy back then) just to find out how it started I guess, like it the first moment I saw it

(scherpschutter) #16

I’ve already answered the questions on facebook, but it’s always nice to be here, so here we go:

1. 55
  2. Dutch
  3. In the 80s, on VHS
  4. I had heard a lot about the film’s violence and had always wanted to see it. When it was first shown in cinemas, I had been too young to watch it, and as far as I know, there had never been reruns in Holland or Belgium (I lived on both sides of the border, my mother was Belgian). When I finally found a copy - in a video library in Oisterwijk, some thirty kilometers from where I lived - I was a bit dissapointed. I found the film badly structured and a bit too whimsical for its own good. I also didn’t like Major Jackson and felt that Django shouldn’t have survived the movie. I have rewatched Django repeatedly ever since, and my thoughts about the movie are far more positive now, still it’s not one of my favourite spaghettis (nor is it one of my favourite Corbuccis). The first half of the movie is much better than the second, some scenes - Django climbing on roofs with his coffin - drag, and I’m still not sure about the ending. I mean, it’s great, it’s magnificent, but probably not the right ending. Django is a legend, a prophet, a late descendant of Jesus Christ. They should’ve nailed him to that metal cross. If legends outlive their own time, they become tiresome.

(John Welles) #17

Funny, I always pictured you in your late 20s/early 30s ;D.

(scherpschutter) #18

My biggest surprise so far was the age (18) of my good Canadian friend with the long name

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #19

So many Canadians taking this survey LOL. Sometimes I feel I’m the only spaghetti western fan in the country.

I’ve only read about the “Jack Nicholson trying to get the rights” story, thats about it.

(scherpschutter) #20

Bilingual country, one fan for each language?