Shobary's Spaghetti Westerns

Haven’t seen Gentleman Joe but Killer Kid I would definitely rate as one of Steffen’s best.

I’d say Garko had more charisma, but that’s actually why I like Steffen better. I don’t really like my “anti-heros” to have charisma. I also am not crazy about a lot of the Garko films I’ve seen. A few were pretty good but the majority do not come close to my top spaghettis.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:38, topic:1543”] Steffen does not always play the same type of character but most often plays the silent-type. But Garko is pretty talkative in almost all of his westerns. I don’t have any films by either in my top 20.
Of Steffen’s films I like Killer Kid & Gentleman Joe the best. I know, not most peoples’ favorites by him :)[/quote]

Exactly where my views come from. I prefer the silent type, and get tired with talky gunmen fairly quickly. Just comes across to me as less sincere when a killer smiles and talks your ear off.

Killer Kid’s in my top 20…

So watch it then! It’s really worth it. NIce story and STtfen’s liver is unbeliavable! The baddies force him to empty three (!!!) bottles of booze and he still manages it to escape and shoot a couple of blokes. Fantastic!

Gave it another viewing and was much more impressed with it than my memory was. The direction actually was not too bad at all, with plenty of interesting shots. I wasn’t too satisfied with the duels, action scenes were setup decently, but not quite followed through just right. Still, it was done a lot better than I had remembered, as a whole. And I still believe this one has potential to be many times better than what it is.

Shobary isn’t an “official” film critic, but I enjoy his to-the-point reviews, often very amusing. And his screen captures are great - really helps you see whether you might like the look of a movie or not. I think he is pretty spot on on whether a movie is watchable or not, which is important for SWs IMO.

Agreed. When I first discovered the SW genre, shobary’s site was what I looked to as a sort of 'beginners guide".

Agreed, this film is in my top 20, but it could’ve been in my top 10 had the script, direction, and pacing been cleaned up a bit. Also could’ve used a scarier sounding soundtrack.

So, you’re saying he’s actually credible then? 8)

Never pay much attension to film critics, as like to make up my own mind.

Shobary’s site was one of the first spag sites I ever saw. I disagree with some of his reviews, but I still like going over there.

I’m the same. I don’t bother to read his reviews anymore because our tastes are clearly very different and we rate films by very different standards but his site is well put together and a very good resource.

Without any doubt, his site is truely great. it shows a great love for the genre.

He’s got a new review up. FINALLY! It’s Fasthand is Still My Name.

Maybe he has been viewing this thread perhaps.

Doesn’t look like he thought much of it… :stuck_out_tongue:

At the end of the day that’s what it’s all about - the tastes may differ but it’s a love of the genre that pulls us all together.

As I told you. A little pause doesnt’ mean, he gave up his site…

I think even less of it…

Funny, because even though I’m way past my “honeymoon” period with Fistful of Pasta, I feel neglectful if I go more than a week without putting up something.

I like his site and I love all of the screenshots… but as a whole I can not agree with his reviews, There is at least, a pattern… If he rates the film low, that means I’ll probably like it. If he gives a high review, I won’t like it (of course there are some exceptions.) :slight_smile:

So the page is quite helpful for you, in a way… :wink: