Shaw Brothers Cinema

I know we have a Kung Fu thread but i thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to the Shaw brothers studios as they made films in a whole spectrum of different genres not just Kung Fu films. :wink:

Watched DEATH VALLEY, i thoroughly enjoyed this one, Lo Wei to me is like the Chinese Alfred Hitchcock, not in his style of filmaking but the fact that he has small roles in many of his movies, quite strong for a 60’s one too with a fair amount of amputations!

I like Oily Maniac for all the wrong reasons, hehe.

The Mighty Peking Man is fun too.

And of course Enter the Seven Virgins. Any chance of this coming to dvd?

Jaws!

Funimation are picking up the stuff BCI didn’t release because they went bust.

Hong Kong Godfather! YES! YES! YES! I can’t wait

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ8J-grTN4Q

Agreed.

I suppose you didn’t get the idea about this thread from here ;):

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum/index.php?topic=61.0;topicseen

[quote=“Silence, post:7, topic:2162”]I suppose you didn’t get the idea about this thread from here ;):

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum/index.php?topic=61.0;topicseen[/quote]As you know i’ve been going on that thread for a long time.

Like i said in the first post, Shaw Brothers did a whole lot of different films not just Kung Fu ones so i thought it deserved it’s own thread :wink:

Hooray for Shaw Brothers!!
I have a bunch of different types of films from this fine studio–and I have yet to run across one that wasn’t, at the very least, entertaining in some way.
I have musicals, swordplay films, spy flicks, and teen angst dramas—and more.
The Shaws turned out some mighty fine filmed entertainment!

Nice to see this thread!

Same here, i’m making it my mission to get the whole IVL library (and whatever else gets released that they don’t put out)

I’ve got 438 of them at the moment, still a way to go.

That is a mighty fine start!

When IVL/Celestial Pictures first started issuing these films on DVD, I was doing some freelance “English fixing” for YesAsia.
Long story, but I received (as partial payment for my work) the latest Shaw Bros. releases from IVL.
It was a great couple of years as every month I got 3 or more Shaw Bros. films on DVD…for free!
My job with YesAsia didn’t last, though; so, I definitely am far from having everything IVL have released.
When I lost my job around a year ago, I ended up selling most of those Shaw Bros. DVD’s that I had—and, frankly, I have regretted it…almost daily.

Damn, i should imagine you had some of the ones that are now harder to get.

another great one from the mighty Shaw Brothers:

this is great stuff - giant monsters, crazy weapons, and lots of nonsense make it one of the most entertaining movies out there.

Undoubtedly, my friend. That is the nature of my luck! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Frank Talby, post:13, topic:2162”]another great one from the mighty Shaw Brothers:

this is great stuff - giant monsters, crazy weapons, and lots of nonsense make it one of the most entertaining movies out there.[/quote]Ha Ha i like this also, i wasn’t too excited about watching it to be honest but i’m glad i did.

Recently viewed Come Drink with Me, lots of fun, little abrupt on the ending but arent all Shaw’s…

[quote=“Rififii, post:16, topic:2162”]Recently viewed Come Drink with Me, lots of fun, little abrupt on the ending but arent all Shaw’s…[/quote]Did you know Jackie Chan had a small part as one of the kids.

I know i said it a while ago but all Spaghetti fans should try to watch THE FUGITIVE and AMBUSH.

No idea, guess he was taking cues from Drunken Cat for Drunken Master…

I really enjoy the Fugitive, the best recycling of Spaghetti music ever… Lots of great gunfights and showdowns…

The actor Mars was one of them kids also.