Seven Guns for Timothy / Sette magnifiche pistole (Romolo Guerrieri, 1966)

Database page Sette magnifiche pistole - The Spaghetti Western Database

The young lawyer Timothy inherits a gold mine, which also makes good profit. But the bandit Sancho has his eye on the mine. That is why he wants to kill Timothy. However, receiving help from former war veterans.

I love the movies by Romolo Guerrieri. 10,000 dollari per un massacro is great, Johnny Yuma is also above average, but Sette magnifiche pistole is just bad.

Cheap gags, absurd conversations.

The film is a mixture of Magnificent Seven and E poi lo chiamarono il magnifico. Only he does not work. These are bad actors. Only Sacnho is good.

There is only one DVD in the world. The German Sunfilm version. Without bonus. Medium quality. Only in German.

My rating 3 / 10.

Quite lighthearted, little SW with predictable plot and almost no silly comedy stuff… thank God!

The theme song really put me off at the beginning but the movie wasn’t that bad afterall. At least there’re some violent, spaghetti-like scenes next to the lighthearted ones (which are mostly bearable).

Nothing special except for Ida Galli’s beauty !!!

Screenshots from the german DVD:

Those are pretty good looking, but the format is kinda weird!

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Sette_magnifiche_pistole

Here we have another odd western which mixes too much comedy into its story, which is basically that of an action film. It was also a pretty rare film as the Englisch version is not available on DVD or DVD-R. But a cut German DVD was released.

It is the first western of Romolo Guerieri (alias Girolami), but it is far away from his well known SWs Johnny Yuma and 10.000 Dollar Blood Money.
A good looking film which was shot in Spain and some parts are good enough directed. But the middle part is only about a bunch of sympathetic rogues who turn a greenhorn into a man. Here the film plays completely on comedy territory, similar but less funny than Clucher’s Man of the East. But it begins as violent film ant it ends with a large shootout with Fernando Sancho’s gang. Sancho plays the usual Mexican bandit with his usual lot of gusto, but it is also played out too often for laughs.

Like the whole film which suffers from his indecisiveness.

The film doesn’t hurt very much, but it is wise to expect nothing if you want to give it a try.

[quote=“Stanton, post:5, topic:2283”]Sette magnifiche pistole - The Spaghetti Western Database

Here we have another odd western which mixes too much comedy into his story, which is basically that of an action film. It was also a pretty rare film as the Englisch version is not available on DVD or DVD-R. But a cut German DVD was released.

It is the first western of Romolo Guerieri (alias Girolami), but it is far away from his well known SWs Johnny Yuma and 10.000 Dollar Blood Money.
A good looking film which was shot in Spain and some parts are good enough directed. But the middle part is only about a bunch of sympathetic rogues who turn a greenhorn into a man. Here the film plays completely on comedy territory, similar but less funny than Clucher’s Man of the East. But it begins as violent film ant it ends with a large shootout with Fernando Sancho’s gang. Sancho plays the usual Mexican bandit with his usual lot of gusto, but it is also played out too often for laughs.

Like the whole film which suffers from his indecisiveness.

The film doesn’t hurt very much, but it is wise to expect nothing if you want to give it a try.[/quote]

Hi Stanton,

We already have a topic of this film: [url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,2576.0.html[/url]

I agree with you, the film is not comparable to Romolo Guerrieri masterpiece 10.000 Dollar Blood Money. Or the over average Johnny Yuma. Too much comedy and not enough seriousness.
The film is very uneven. It reminds me in it at La PiĂą grande Rapina nel west. This also has this improper mixture.
I had high expectations because of the director and was disappointed. :cry:

Only the photos look wrong. The DVD has them in the correct aspect ratio. The screnshots are not anamorphical enhanced.

But the DVD has its share of faults. Audio drop-outs and several cuts due to an old copy. The German version is most likely 3 min longer than the DVD. My very bad Spanish full screen copy runs about 8 min longer.

[quote=“The Stranger, post:6, topic:2283”]Hi Stanton,

We already have a topic of this film: [url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,2576.0.html[/url][/quote]
And successfully merged.

I watched this on the mill creek box-set. The quality is poor, but watchable. Timothy is a young man who has inherited a gold mine, but a gang of bandits led by Fernando Sancho tries to steal it from him.
He gets unexpected help from 5 men who also teaches him everything he has to know in order to stand his ground against the bandits.
The film could almost be regarded as comedy, but unintentionally funny is probably the right phrase to use as it’s also pretty dark and serious at times.
Anyway it’s a decent watch.
As a side note the lead Sean Flynn reminded me a lot of Giuliano Gemma.

Already a thread here:

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,2576.0.html[/url]

And merged

I’m pretty good at this. However I checked in the database and there was no link from there to a forum topic. The film was not in the forum under it most common English title either.

Do I remember correctly, is Koch media going to release this one?

I don’t think so

Could do with a nice uncut widescreen version.

Viewed this time with the english dub rather than english subtitles. Perhaps makes the film a bit more daft than I first thought. Simple story really, about a guy who has to go through some changes in order to fight the men after his mine. Harmless enough film, but nothing outstanding.

I also watched this yesterday. It’s a rather silly film with lots of comedy scenes but I think I laughed more for the unintentional comedy and Sancho who’s constantly shouting “vamos”. The last siege in the ranch was stupid since Sancho had a shitload of men against Timothy and his girl and all they do is just ride around the house for Timothy to shoot them.

2/5

Watched this one yesterday for the first time, and what a waste of time this drek of a film was. I agree with some of the comments above, it’s a stupid silly comedy with no excitement at all. The best thing in this is Fernando Sancho who is always fun to watch with his over the top performance. 1/5

Watched the Mill Creek version, was expecting the worst but was quite entertained actually.
The surreal opening titles must pre date Terry Gilliams’ Monty Python animation work by about 3 years.
Timothys’ dogs’ “play dead” performance was Oscar winning material, very convincing, or did they actually kill the dog?
Errol Flyns’ son plays main male lead but don’t think I’ve ever seen Ida Galli looking as good in a movie.
A must see for the completists! :slight_smile:

Viewed this tonight as part of the Mill Creek “10,000 Ways To Die” box set. It is a rather blurry, washed-out looking fullframe picture, running 87 minutes.

Starts off with a fun title sequence ala Monty Python as noted by others. Plus a great theme by Gino Peguri (similar to his great theme for Blackie The Pirate). Middling story is mostly lightweight as a gang of ne’er do wells is assembled to assist nerdy Timothy (Sean Flynn) in battling big fat Fernando Sancho. I am alone in this, I know, but I hate Sancho and can’t stand watching his over-the-top shenanigans. At least here he is supposed to be playing it tongue-in-cheek.

Not as terrible as I feared but drags a little in the middle, and a very poor DVD quality hampered my enjoyment also.

I would love to have the theme song as an mp3 but could not find the tune anywhere on the web. If anyone can make an audio rip of it, let me know. Thanks.