Seven Dollars to Kill / 7 dollari sul rosso (Alberto Cardone, 1966)

i just bought this film on ebay for €1 but dont know anything about it, has anyone seen it? how is it?

For more info visit:
Database page: Sette dollari sul rosso - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Seven Dollars on the Red your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

I haven’t seen it, but with a cast like that, it has to be at least OK.

Typical average Anthony Steffen film. Not bad but not really anything special either.

in the DVD section, can you tell us more about the disc itself (languages, extras, quality etc)

allright i finally had a chance to watch it, nothing to say about the disc really, only language available was english and only subtitle option was “dutch on/off”, the quality was utter shit, looks like this film hasent been restored in any way since 1966, the dubbing was terrible too, but we all have grown to get used to that (atleast i have), in a nutshell it’s a pretty little cool revenge movie (spoilers ahead)

Johnny Ashley’s wife get’s killed and his son kidnaped by El Cachal who raises the kid as his own, for years Johnny hunts down the men that did it and tracks down his son and Cachal, when he does find Cachal they have a cool little bare hand showdown in a barn where they both picks up hooks and perform (what it looks like) pretty dangerous stuff, could be trick photography but it looks pretty badass, eventually Johnny kills him by punching him about 20 times and making him fall into a water tank (wich is pretty redicilous actually), eventually his son (who thinks Cachal is his father) seeks revenge on Johnny, they arrange a showdown but right before the showdown Cachal’s wife tells Johnny that Bill (his son, originally called Jerry) is actually his own son, in extremely rainy weather they showdown starts and Johnny refuses to draw his guns, Cachal’s wife yells to Bill: “Bill! Cachal isn’t your real father!!” and instead of breaking down Bill cold bloody says “then youre not my real mother” and shoots her, eventually the two men break down in a fistfight in the mud and Johnny accidently kills his son with a knife wich his son drew, it ends with Johnny saying “oh no! my son!”, and then it immediatly cut to credits with a beautifull piece of trumpet score over it, genius ending

there were no opening credits only after Cachal and his bandits kill Johnny’s wife a cool 5 seconds piece of music starts and “7 DOLLARS TO KILL” appears ultra-large on screen, very cool

Watched this film recently, the japanese release, and I think it was a pretty good SW.

The story is a family tragedy a bit like Forgotten Pistolero. Nice music. Impressive ending.

Did Koch Media plan to release this one too? Not a bad choice in that case I think.

Yep, should be coming out from Koch Media. Hopefully soon. German title: Django - Die Geier stehen Schlange.

But oh, its been ages since Koch Media released something and this one is apparently not being released right now, they have other titles waiting. I believe that the movie should have been a released as part of a Anthony Steffen Italo Western Box Set which was regrettably cancelled due to disappointing sales of the other Italo Western boxes.

I watched this again last night and I pretty much agree - it’s a pretty average film. A potentially better film could be made from the great twist on the ‘revenge for a murdered wife’ theme. However - the ending is magnificently gothic, muddy and moody and worth the entry price. On a more comedic note - they certainly made clothes to last in those days. Steffen wears the same tan suede suit and blue shirt over his 20 year quest to find his son - in fact the only concession to the passing years is a tiny bit of greying at the temples . He does however get to change into a different outfit for his final fights otherwise - reckon he coulda knocked em out with the smell. (I’ll be introducing myself on the next thread - in reply to Bill San Antonio’s search for nudity!)

I like this one quite a bit. Not anywhere near as good as Cardone’s other Steffen film $1000 ON THE BLACK (aka BLOOD AT SUNDOWN) with Gianni Garko; but, it is still very enjoyable.

However, I must say that Francesco De Masi’s score for this movie is simply one of the greatest scores of all time…regardless of genre. Beautiful stuff!

Amen to that Brother Casey - this is a far better film - better contructed, darker and moodier. Definately a top 20 in my book.

I’m afraid I found it a bit boring. Maybe I need another viewing, I haven’t watched it in a long time.

Have to agree with a lot of the points here. I do like this one a lot, and think that Anthony Steffen’s slightly stiff acting style serves him well here. I did find the whole aging thing pretty funny though! Good downbeat ending (always my favourite sort), and as noted earlier the score is superb. The more i hear of Francesco De Masi’s soundtracks, the further he moves up my list of favourite composers :wink:

Had this one on the shelf for a wee while and just got around to watching it yesterday.
On the whole an enjoyable, middle of the road kind of spaghetti for my money. Decent but not great.
The final sequences were the best in the film without doubt and really lifted it in my estimation.
Likewise, the score was excellent in places and made up for some gaping holes in the plot, continuity and editing elsewhere in the film. Another plus is the cast. Steffen and Fernando Sancho (doing some excellent over the top mugging) make it worth the entry price on their own.
Overall it gets my thumbs up as a a solid 3 star example of the genre. Nothing spectacular.

[quote=“Phil H, post:13, topic:113”]Had this one on the shelf for a wee while and just got around to watching it yesterday.
On the whole an enjoyable, middle of the road kind of spaghetti for my money. Decent but not great.
The final sequences were the best in the film without doubt and really lifted it in my estimation.
Likewise, the score was excellent in places and made up for some gaping holes in the plot, continuity and editing elsewhere in the film. Another plus is the cast. Steffen and Fernando Sancho (doing some excellent over the top mugging) make it worth the entry price on their own.
Overall it gets my thumbs up as a a solid 3 star example of the genre. Nothing spectacular.[/quote]

I agree with every word here, Phil H. This was worth the time onvested, but not especially memorable. Steffen is stiff (almost a pun there), but it serves him in this moreso than many of his others. The passage of time is a joke, but as everyone has pointed out, the musical score is nice and the final fight between Steffen and Sancho is great. The finale in the rain is really quite effective and Shakespearean, serveing to raise the final overall impression higher than it would have otherwise been.

Dear me, Garko Forever.
STEFFEN stiff?
There are some GREAT STEFFEN FANS here on the forum.
Just warning you.
:slight_smile: :smiley: ;D >:( :o ::slight_smile: :-*

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:15, topic:113”]Dear me, Garko Forever.
STEFFEN stiff?
There are some GREAT STEFFEN FANS here on the forum.
Just warning you.
:slight_smile: :smiley: ;D >:( :o ::slight_smile: :-*[/quote]

Ok, scherpschutter, point well taken! :slight_smile: No flames from the Steffen-loyal, please!

I’ll defer to Silver’s less divisive position above then:

“…Steffen’s slightly stiff acting style serves him well here.”

:slight_smile:

Maybe, maybe not.

I am not (repeat: I am not) the GREAT STEFFEN FAN ! (so it’s not me).

You’ll recognize him when you meet him.

(And then you’ll understand the CAPITALS and ;D >:( :o better)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:17, topic:113”]Maybe, maybe not.

I am not (repeat: I am not) the GREAT STEFFEN FAN ! (so it’s not me).

You’ll recognize him when you meet him.

(And then you’ll understand the CAPITALS and ;D >:( :o better)[/quote]

Yes Scherp I fully agree with you :smiley: Millions of fans cannot be wrong :o

ANTHONY STEFFEN RIP is the LEADING Number 1 SW star in terms of
having made 25 Top Class SWs as a LEADING ACTOR. That is extremely animated :smiley:
You can say Orson Welles, Marlon Brando, Robert DeNiro are all STIFFER/UGLIER so what

Millions of fans in Europe, South America, USA , liked/loved ANTHONY STEFFEN and he
made millions with his SWs, so that he was called back for 25 as leading man. NO 1 :wink:
Facts speak for themselves and Steffen lit up the screen in all his SWs.
This Film SEVEN DOLLARS ON THE RED I especially enjoyed and hold in high esteem.

[quote=“Garko Forever, post:16, topic:113”]Ok, scherpschutter, point well taken! :slight_smile: No flames from the Steffen-loyal, please!

I’ll defer to Silver’s less divisive position above then:

“…Steffen’s slightly stiff acting style serves him well here.”

:)[/quote]

Hmm…forgot about using the word stiff! In my defence, i didn’t really mean it as a comment on his acting style being wooden. I actually don’t consider him to be any more wooden that most other actors i’ve seen. He has a style of acting that makes playing pained and put upon but stoic characters very well. But he’s quite lively in a couple of his westerns and positively manic in a few of his non SW’s.

When i was reading all the old posts after being absent, i must admit to having a bit of a giggle over all the “stiffen” jokes…but probably for all the wrong reasons… ::slight_smile: ;D

DVD available of this excellent SW 7 DOLLARI SUL ROSSO 1966 possibly Japanese