Sergio Leone poll

“Duck You Sucker” s the only Leone Spaghetti Western I haven’t seem yet. As it was voted the most underated, I’ll have to look for it.

But there are many fun moments in GBU as well. Many people especially like the humorous parts of the movie.
For me DYS is the most depressing Leone of them all. There are so many scenes of mass murder. I think the light hearted parts work as a good contrast to these scenes making them even more brutal.

The score is great IMO. It is very melodic and lyrical, and it has got character, it is no standard Morricone score.

I cannot stand the score. I have it on CD and after listening to it once, I’ve never listen to it again.

Maybe it is not so nice to listen to it at home, but this is not the original purpose of a score, it is to go with the picture and the plot.
If it happens to be enjoyable as a piece of music, fine, if not, so what.

[quote=“Dillinger, post:42, topic:1781”]But there are many fun moments in GBU as well. Many people especially like the humorous parts of the movie.
For me DYS is the most depressing Leone of them all. There are so many scenes of mass murder. I think the light hearted parts work as a good contrast to these scenes making them even more brutal.

The score is great IMO. It is very melodic and lyrical, and it has got character, it is no standard Morricone score.[/quote]

What can I say…I agree with everything you have written.

[quote=“Dillinger, post:42, topic:1781”]But there are many fun moments in GBU as well. Many people especially like the humorous parts of the movie.
For me DYS is the most depressing Leone of them all. There are so many scenes of mass murder. I think the light hearted parts work as a good contrast to these scenes making them even more brutal.[/quote]

Sure, there are some lighter parts of GBU, which is why I put just above DYS, but below the rest. I don’t like the fun stuff. I think if you’re going to make a brutal movie, make a brutal movie – the fun stuff just ruins it.

Maybe the term “fun stuff” is a bit too much. I didn’t laugh once in this one, I may have smiled from time to time. We’re not talking about a pant-wetting flick. It’s just the normal Leone humor level.

And a technique of contrast like this is not unusual, it works quite well in the Takeshi movies for example.

BTW the mix of humor and brutality is a crucial element of many SWs.

I’m a fan of Zapatas (Il Mercenario is the BEST!) and for me Duck You Sucker is highly underrated. Of course there are fun sequences but not in the way of a silly comedy. The scene with the bank (prison) robbery of Miranda and his sons together with the wonderful score of Morricone is one of my favourites . ;D
The storyline of DYS is in the tradition of picaresque novels. Which also included humour and brutality. IMO the most depressing moment in DYS is the off screen death of Mirandas Sons. There aren’t many horses in DYS so maybe Leone didn’t wanted to make another typical western. :slight_smile:
Once Upon a time the revolution would be a much better title cause this movie is a statement about what revolution really means. :wink:

The score is great IMO. It is very melodic and lyrical, and it has got character, it is no standard Morricone score.[/quote]
I suppose I would have to listen to it in the context of the film.

Yep,especially by the wonderful mixture of the mexican and irish revolution.
It contains everything - Friendship,betrayal,brutality,futility and dry humour !
Once again its a great movie.

I agree with Dillinger in every point and don’t understand how someone who likes SW,hate this one.
Not everybody like it,of course.
I enjoy every one of Sergio Leones western very much,every one of all five !

I like all the titles of this one.

Fistful of Dynamite, Duck You Sucker and OUATITR.

They’re all cool and that’s all you need for a SW title.

I think my favourite title for “Duck You Sucker” is “A Fistful of Dynamite”.

Favorite: For a Few Dollars More
Least: None
Underated: Fistful of Dynamite
Overated: None

How diplomatic, Frank :wink:

If I had to say my least favorite it would be OUATIA and the overrated one would TGTB&TU but I love that one a lot as well.

I know, it’s not easy…

Not easy? It’s like choosing which one of your fingers to cut off.

The scene in Sharky’s Machine just sprung to mind :o .

:smiley:
Good compare

Your favorite Leone film?

Once Upon A Time In The West. This is actually my first Leone and still my favorite.

Your least favorite Leone film?

Right now, I’m going to say none. I can’t say for sure, as I haven’t seen everything that Leone directed or conceived of.

The most underated Leone film?

A Fistful Of Dollars. Based on the budget that he had, it really is a masterful job. And who says that Westerns can’t take place in near-ghost towns?

The most overated Leone film?

Well, considering it gets the most play, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. But, for me, there’s nothing that’s really overrated about it. It’s just the fact that whenever you mention Sergio Leone, the first and seemingly only film that someone thinks about is TGTBTU.

So, in the exact definition of the word overrated, it’s The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.