Scalps (Bruno Mattei, Claudio Fragasso, 1986)

I prefer Scalps to the other Mattei western as more violent.

I didnā€™t think it was that violent, the violence takes a back seat to the story and action. This film contains probably my favourite action scenes from any SW.

Thinking of buying the X Rated DVD. Or is the Spanish better?

I have the X-rated version and itā€™s a good one, spanish version might be cheaper (if you can get it from a store with low shipping rates). I havenā€™t seen it myself but I remember someone saying x-rated is better quality.

Is it just me(?) or is this, perhaps, Bruno Matteiā€™s most competent film?

Never knew mattei made spaghetti westerns. I know him from his exploitation films. What are the other ones he made? youPallbearer did you ever see womanā€™s prison massacre? By far his most competent film.

Think Mattei also did Apache Kid.

Hey, amigo!
If you are still interestedā€¦
Keep your eyes open for my next DVD sale (should start in the next day or two).
I have a copy of the X Rated DVD (in the original over-size box) that will be up for grabs.

Do like Hell of The Living Dead and my favourite film by the director just for enjoyment value purposes.

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:28, topic:1086ā€]Hey, amigo!
If you are still interestedā€¦
Keep your eyes open for my next DVD sale (should start in the next day or two).
I have a copy of the X Rated DVD (in the original over-size box) that will be up for grabs.[/quote]
Nice!

Can you start a new thread for it Chris? :wink:

Yes, I guess I could.
You know the odd thing is that I could have sworn that my above post was really a PM to Silence!
Donā€™t know how it ended up as a public post on the forum.
:-[

I did enjoy hell of the living dead although it rips off dawn of the dead to the point of laughter. I liked rats also. The film is not the greatest its just worth it for the hilarious ending.

Finally watched it yesterday and it was underwhelming to say the least. Normally i can appreciate MatteiĀ“s plagiarisms (Terminator 2, Zombies: The Beginning) but this was absolutely dreadful.

Basically Mattei decided to remake ā€œSoldier Blueā€ but along the way he added a few of his own unique tweaks. Unfortunatley the sappy love story slows down the pace to an almost grinding halt. The guy playing the general was awful chewing up the scenery like there is no tomorrow and our hero and the indian girl basically sleepwalk through the whole ordeal. The clichĆ© portrayment of the indians was also laughable bad and took me totally out of the movie. Only positive aspect were the few explosive moments of gore, but even those couldnĀ“t serve this turkey. Me thinks iĀ“ll just skip ā€œWhite Apacheā€ and leave the Mattei western for what they are.

A year ago I said I wasnā€™t a fan of these kind of films, and therefore wasnā€™t keen on watching the movie

A few days ago, I watched it nevertheless. Hereā€™s my report:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Scalps,_venganza_india_Review

Good review for a bad film. :wink:
But the version of VZ Handelsgesellschaft is cut. There are missing about 3 minutes.
But there is an X-Rated version and is uncut.

By the way VZ Handelsgesellschaft advertises the film with the slogan:
ā€œThe brutal spaghetti westerns of all time.ā€ :o :o

Thanks for the info, Iā€™ll change the text tomorrow

It was this one today at Cinema Office; the usual clients donā€™t deserve more, besides being a bunch of no good lazy bastards, canā€™t play football either.

Itā€™s actually a rewatch, this was a popular one among the video club rentals, (the cover with a semi-nude Mapi GalĆ”n helped of course) as long as other westerns, SW or not, but mostly SW, and in terms of video rentals the decay of SW cannot be explained the Sabatas Djangos Trinitas and others with a cowboy hat and a colt in the cover, were always popular.

The film itā€™s weak of course, but in structural terms I guess itā€™s OK Mattei was an experienced director, the problem are off course the finishingā€™s, but if donā€™t expect much, in any case itā€™s was nice to follow, some gore not much for Mattei standards, the story, style and soundtrack owns more to classical westerns than to SW apart form the ending with something similar to a Triello, it got Indians so ā€¦(Indians were not much popular in SW most probably cause the make-up will cost a lot more, in Almeria no Indians around).
Iā€™ve lost 15 minutes of it (the sleaze part they later told me) cause I had to talk with a client, but 20 years after the prime of SW, production problems were still the same, colt shooting 10 times in a row, Winchesters all over the place at the end of the Civil War (putting those old one bullet Springfield percussion Muskets shooting twenty shots in a row was difficult even in SW terms), very eighties jean shirts with the Levis logo in it and everything, but one thing surprised me the very effective used of locations and landscape, one of the best Iā€™ve seen got a real American feeling no Olive Trees.
Not a totally bad or obnoxious time waster and to be honest a good go on the genre long after itā€™s prime, but even with Vassilli Karis in it lacked the good old SW star system and the charisma that the same star system would had brought with it, but Mapi Galan looked really nice with that typical 80ā€™s haircut :D.

Notice that ome the locations were also used in Alex Cox Straight to Hell, and Terence young Le guerriere dal seno nudo or whatever the name of the flick was

P.S. reading the initial credits there was some one called Bravo Charlie, better than Romeu Foxtrot or Sierra Echo I guess ;D ;D.

Just saw this. Horrible acting, cheesy dubbing, ripped off scenes and soundtrack, bad script, laughable dialogue, terrible costumes and sets, cheap gore, unnecessary sleazeā€¦ perfect Mattei!
I loved it, just what youā€™d expect from the Mattei/Fragasso duo. I can understand some SW fans being disappointed at this, but Mattei fans like myself are gonna enjoy it.
I must say that, as often happens with good old Bruno, there are a couple of good ideas to be found, like the final duel for instance. Besides that (and if we ignore the already mentioned terrible costumes and sets) the movie doesnā€™t look bad at all and one of the most important things about movies, itā€™s a lot of fun.

So just like Soldier Blue then!