Savage Guns / Era Sam Wallash! … Lo chiamavano … E così sia! (Demofilo Fidani, 1971)

what a wild and delightful beast this is! My first Fidani and I’m loving his crazy bombastic style. [I love you M. E. Kay]

Welcome to the dark side. This is the same film i discovered Fidani through, and i was mesmerized by this one.

Aha, thanks! Seems like the film is a good gateway to Fidani.

Just watched this. I thought it was good fun.

I think they must of came in for a cameo. I have an old dvdr of His Name Was Pot, and I did not see any scene in it with those three like that. As for Pot… its a very, very low budget western, and one of the shoototuts in it is almost entirely clipped and recycled in Go Away… Trinity Has Arrived in Eldorado!

Agree! It’s very entertaining for sure. Hilarious phobia for closing doors, nice over-the-top action scenes (How many shots were fired by the bandits in the flashback? Hard not to laugh there) the cameos by Gordon Mitchell and Peter Martell was excellent as well! “Gordon Mitchell - Born to kill”

2 Likes

I bought this box set just so I could own Savage Guns. I’m expecting a masterpiece on all fronts.

3 Likes

I think this is my Fidani favourite so far! I’ll give you a task - count the gunshots during the flashback scene

Telluric! :smile:

2 Likes

@Admin Should finally clear up the confusion about the protagonist’s name, Wallash or Wallach. :nerd_face:

1 Like

How about Walbash? :grin:

1 Like

Watched this all the way through for the first time, after many previous aborted attempts.

It’s jaw droppingly silly in places (well a lot of places!) but strangely compelling once you relax into the magical world of Fidani westerns.

I kept thinking, ‘Is the editor asleep!?’, as there’s so much extraneous stuff … scenes that just linger on for no apparent reason, except to end up with something around the 90 minute mark, which then might distinguish it as a feature rather than a short subject.

Having watched loads of mediocre SWs, which are just plain dull … seeing this is actually preferable - Is it bad ? … yes it’s terrible! … but there is a certain charm to it.

I actually did literally laugh out loud at several scenes, my favourite being Mr Wallash senior being gunned down in front of our future young hero.
There must have been about a zillion rounds fired and not a drop of blood or breakage of any kind on the set. Felt a bit like playing cowboys and Indians when you’re 8 years old.

No point rating this one … you’ll either enjoy it’s naïve charm or switch off after 5 minutes … I’m glad I didn’t :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, Aldo.
Since listening to the great Robert Woods, on the podcast, I’ve been meaning to watch this…although the copy I have, on DVD, is pretty crappy.

Don’t worry, So is everybody else’s

1 Like

Never fear ! There’s a very nice looking version on You Tube under the title ‘Savage Guns’

1 Like

OK…After a viewing of ‘Savage Guns’, I need a drop of tequila…but red wine will have to do.
What can I say…?

A Demofilo Fidani film.

Robert Woods was wonderful as always, even though he sported long hair, and reminded me of Dan Vadis, in ‘High Plains Drifter’ mode.

I have a lot of time for Robert, the gentleman who brought us ‘El Puro’, ‘Pecos’, and ‘Blackjack’…but, IMHO, this is a poor effort. No fault of Robert’s, but just a thoroughly fourth-rate story, backed up with third-rate gunplay, and stitched together with excessive fifth-rate padding.
Dino Strano, as the medallion-man baddie, did a commendable job, though, as always.

The kill-count was high, even though I’ve seen more blood when I pricked my finger on a rose.
Any film - especially a SW - with a saloon girl named ‘Fanny’, can’t help but grab the attention - even if only for a short while.

Hindered by an overlong saloon sing-along, boxing scene, and a slow-motion fist fight that seemed amateurish, at best, I found myself fast-forwarding to the end. The English dubbing also left a lot to be desired.

Oh, yes, the banging doors…an excuse to have a flashback where the hero is traumatised by seeing his parents gunned down while a door was banging…
They should have substituted the banging door for a barking dog…we have plenty of the bast…ds where I live.

Best bit of the film: When actors Gordon Mitchell, Peter Martell, and Lincoln Tate, are introduced as gunmen, but their real names are used, in the scene - classic! It is worth watching ‘Savage Guns’, just for this brief scene, where three SW stalwarts make an appearance…

Aside from this, the film is worth watching purely for Robert Woods, Dino Strano, a saloon girl named ‘Fanny’, and a seriously under-rated, un-credited, banging door.

Best line in the film…a toss-up between “Amen”, and “This means trouble…”.

No disrespect to Demofilo Fidani fans, but not one that I’ll be re-visiting anytime soon…if ever again.

3 Likes

That’s a problem with this particular rip, rather than the film itself. It seemed to go out of sync for a while and back again … not a difficult fix, but would it be worth the effort ? LOL

I’m glad you liked ‘Fanny’ :laughing: she’s tactfully credited as a barmaid, but she’s clearly ‘Mash’s’ whore !!! … good legs, I thought ?

Kinda felt sorry for Robert, because he does his best, and obviously didn’t know how this would turn out in post production.

PS: How about the winning boxer, just before he and his manger are assassinated - “I’m the toughest guy in all of America!” … then blam! :rofl:

1 Like

A classic, in all respects! :wink:

Cheers for your feedback, buddy. :grinning:

1 Like

I completely agree. Robert performed excellently, as usual…it was the rest of the film that was mediocre…to say the very least.
Then again, it’s the same for any actor, in any genre…there are successes, and then there are duds.
Robert had his share of successes, and he should be rightly proud of the ones that have become classics, for all the fans who admire, and respect his work. :grinning:

Nothing but respect for Robert Woods, especially after what he has been through, in his personal life. A true credit not only to films, but - more importantly - to each of us, as individuals.

1 Like

He’s the first admit that he ended up in many stinkers, and has a good laugh about it too … very affable bloke - down to earth and with no pretensions.

1 Like

I wish Robert Woods well, as I’m sure we all do.

Cancer is a bitch to overcome, as I know from personal experience, with my own family, so I have absolutely nothing but respect for this gentle, humble, generous man.

Having said that…‘My Name is Pecos’ is due for a re-watch…

2 Likes