Sartana Does Not Forgive / Sartana non perdona / Sonora (Alfonso Balcázar, 1968)

To my way of thinking the scene has nothing to do with that of Bianchini’s film, in which there isn’t a third party arbiter of the situation and to propose a duel of that kind would make no sense on Clayton (Craig Hill) part. Most probably the Russian roulette scenes in this one derive from the ordeal sequence in I vigliacchi non pregano/Cowards Don’t Pray.

• In my opinion Lo voglio morto is vastly superior to Sonora/Sartana non perdona: while the first tells a well-constructed story, among other things offering space to a very interesting female character, the latter after all offers stereotypes, rather static staging and not very inspired dialogues relying only on the extremely effective faces of the three main actors.

very good spaghetti westerns, i saw it yesterday, damn!! the spanish audio was crap!!
where ever available the english audio?? i read that alfio catalbiano play inside the movie but i can’t find him anywhere
4 stars for me, needs a special edition dvd, rosalba neri play only for one minute
great acting from: gilbert roland, george martin, and jack elam, if the movie
re-released on english audio i believe most of the fans will top it in their top 20 lists
or their top 20 alternative lists
i loved the opening flasback scene! so emotion!

This is one that I need to watch!

Surprised you have not seen already Silence. The next western I am going to re view.

:smiley:

Surprisingly this is a pretty good western, not what I had expected from a Balcazar film. Mostly done with some style, and even if the cast is not great it is at least sufficient with Gilbert doing a fine job. 6/10

Yeah, it’s a good one! That reminds me, i’ve got to watch it again soon. :wink:

In that case I think I’ll have to watch it …

you never watch this???

No

I remember liking it too. Only seen the Australian broadcast version though.

wait until someone re-release it on english audio, the spanish audio was total crap

Viewed the trailer again to this from ‘The Something Weird’ Spaghetti western trailers. It was under the title ‘Three Gun Showdown’ which Tom mentioned earlier in this thread. All of the three main characters are shown speaking english. Gilbert Roland’s own voice was used. Not sure whether Jack Elam’s own voice was used, as the voice was a bit unclear.

A comparison between the negative ratio (theatrical mattes removed) and the always preferable intended ratio, in this case 1,85:1: the screens are from the Italian Broadcast and from the trailer originally posted by “Silvanito”* on Youtube, concerning the version entitled Three gun showdown.

*Why was he renamed after being banned?

*Why was he renamed after being banned?
He changed his username and after banning/deleting an account the name is changed for some reason to the one used in registration.

He was the Database answer to the Man with No Name

Looks like its time for a re-view, thanks to the amazing work of the man named hocico :slight_smile:

custom fanjob using Italian TV print + Spanish VHS + unknown source for final scene = open matte & English subs (spanish & italian tracks)

Not sure regarding any still missing scenes. DB says runtime is 96min, and this appears to be 92min. I think the listed runtime may be incorrect though, as the custom job comes with two versions (one for Spanish, one for Italian) and the Spanish version is supposed to be 2 min longer (final scene). Will check shortly when I have the full video.

Don’t forget the Pal speed up. 92 min is equal to 96 min.

Full runtime on the version which combines all three sources is 92 min - 25fps

Looks like the third source on this fan version which the final 2min comes from is an alternate Italian TV print - the same one JonathanCorbett posted a few screens of earlier (one has “IRIS Mediaset” watermark, the other “4 Mediaset” watermark)

Just watched this again. The Iris Mediaset version seems cropped to me, not open matte. This is especially clear in an instance when only half of Roland’s head is visible when he is on the left end of the shot. But overall this version is very watchable.

Anyway, this time around I viewed it in Italian. It’s a very nice spaghetti western, suitable for multiple viewings. Solid cast, good music and a grim, dusty atmosphere. I like it. 7/10