Sartana Does Not Forgive / Sartana non perdona / Sonora (Alfonso Balcázar, 1968)

[quote=“autephex, post:20, topic:1718”]Tom-

Is the Italian Broadcast version a lot better looking? I haven’t watched the Australian one in a while but it seems like it was pretty bad[/quote]

Australian broadcast isn’t bad at all, nice widescreen print.

Thought I remembered it suffering from some major issues with the video though… The kinds of trouble you get from very old VHS recordings. And then the subtitles are burned into the video, making it kind of hard to read because the text suffers from the same video garbles

Wonder if there are different recordings of the AU broadcast

The Australian quality on my copy is not so good. Looks like it was recorded onto VHS then perhaps copied a few times down the line onto other VHS tapes, and it is one of these generated down VHS tapes that my dvd r is sourced from.
If my dvd r was sourced from a non generated down VHS the print would look better. Chuck connors brother may have a less generated down copy than my copy.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:23, topic:1718”]The Australian quality on my copy is not so good. Looks like it was recorded onto VHS then perhaps copied a few times down the line onto other VHS tapes, and it is one of these generated down VHS tapes that my dvd r is sourced from.
If my dvd r was sourced from a non generated down VHS the print would look better. Chuck connors brother may have a less generated down copy than my copy.[/quote]

Yep. Mine’s the same.

I should have checked it, i’ve got the same version, I actually only watched it on a full screen tv, it looks nice on that… but doesn’t look too good on a widescreen tv, as the sides are cut off. Looks like this was taped back in the mid 90s from the rating at the start.

Hmmm I don’t know about this one. Maybe it was shot in fullscreen, to be shown in matted widescreen. IMDB doesn’t mention the AR. I can’t really recollect… but usually you can spot a scanned version immediately, because people and actions are only partly on screen or worse. I think this wasn’t the case here.

Our pal Shobary has posted a clip from this film on youtube here: Sonora / Sartana Does Not Forgive - clip - YouTube

While not the greatest quality it certainly looks good enough to be enjoyed. (Those of you who remember the pre-DVD days of buying $20 gray market video tapes which looked terrible should certainly agree with me.)

Can’t anyone who has posted in this thread that they have seen it point me in the direction of a copy for sale or trade? You can PM or email me. THANKS!

Seems like it was around 20 years ago a Beat released a CD titled “Francesco De Masi’s Western Soundtracks” with music from Any Gun Can Play, Sartana Non Perdona and Kill Them All And Come Back Alone. (Went out of print quickly and was later reissued with different cover art, but same catalog number.) I loved this CD and have listened to it hundreds of times over the years (just ask my wife who is, shall we say, less of a fan than I).

I knew I had to see these films. The only one I could locate at the time was a full screen multi-generation VHS dupe put out by Sinister Cinema (in the US) of Any Gun Can Play. It would be years before I could locate any other version of any of these movies. Finally with many thanks to a very kind forum member I’ve seen the last and best of these three films.

This film could be the exemplification of why I bother to watch C grade spaghetti westerns. It’s cheaply made. The sets are poor. It’s derivative. The only reason it was made is as pure escapist entertainment. But entertain it does!

The good: the relationship between Uriah/George Martin and Kitchener/Gilbert Roland: ambiguous. They were friends at one time, there is an element of tension to their relationship which may just be the kind of teasing and one-up-manship of male bonding, but now there are working at cross purposes. The film keeps the suspense up. Will they attempt to kill one another, will the film end in a duel between former friends? Well done.

Plus Gilbert Roland is given a lot of good, fun dialogue here. Yes, he’s one viejo hombre but this type of SW has no relation to reality so why let it intrude on a good time? I find Roland to have an excellent screen presence in this film and whenever he is on screen the film fires on all cylinders.

I could go on, Elam’s nasty villian who turns out to be a cheat and a coward, etc.

Must concede the weak points. The flm does sport what are likely the worst flashback sequences ever to be lensed. They are jaw droppingly awful. It’s hard to imagine the director and his colleagues watching those sequences and considering them acceptable (if they had any pride or taste). There’s a ‘death by dynamite’ bit which is a little cliche, but no matter.

Overall the most fun I’ve had watching an SW in a long, long time. I had relatively high expectations from the clip Shobary posted on you tube and I was not disappointed. If you enjoy that clip seek out this film.

4.75/5 on the fun scale

Great spaghetti-feel, great music, good actors … I’ve always liked that movie a lot! Even though it does have some weak points as mentioned before (flashbacks…). De Masi’s score including the song (Maybe somewhere, maybe somebody by Raoul) is among my favorites. I’d say this is Balcàzar’s best SW. Well, his other ones aren’t that hard to beat.

I have an Italian VHS fullscreen version of fine quality. I wasn’t able to find a German version (Für ein paar Leichen mehr=Title of Bruckner’s book).

The movie is in my Alternative Top 20!!!

1 Like

A german version i’d like to see,too.
I’ve got only the cinema poster of 'Für ein paar Leichen mehr’
Maybe a german company will bring out a DVD of this …
There’s one - i can’t recall her name,oh well - Koch ;D

Also known as: Three Gun Showdown South Africa (dubbed version) (English title)

Wow, what a great movie.
I had some concerns in a movie where people like Alfonso Balcázar, Gilbert Roland and George Martin are involved. I do not really think Balcázar for a talented director. Roland, I think is too old for a SW-actor. And Martin had me never convinced ever before.

And then this movie. Full of SW-typical elements. Martin is acting very cool. Very nice duell scenes. Among others, these duels on the principle of Russian roulette. OK, so similar scene was in the movie “I want him dead”. But there it was bad. Here it is very good.

This is a nice atmosphere and a very good performance of Elam.
The only weakness and I agree introduced: This flashback scenes. Especially at the beginning when Martin and his wife runs over the fields and meadows. That’s bad. But this is typical Alfonso Balcázar. These flashback scenes he had afterwards used in “The Return of Clint the Stranger”.

But all in all a must-see for fans. My Rating 8 / 10
Furthermore, I find this Australian TV recording is not so bad. OK, there are better, but worse. And I love subtitles. My English is not so good. And so it is difficult to follow with English audio for me. Subtitles make my life easier. :wink:

i believe no one see this in english audio that’s the reason it has so litle votes

awesome soundtrack really!!!

come on wild east do it!! ;D

1 Like

[quote=“LankyFellow, post:30, topic:1718”]A german version i’d like to see,too.
I’ve got only the cinema poster of ‘Für ein paar Leichen mehr’[/quote]

I know someone who has the German version, but only on 35 mm film roles :frowning:

german audio?

Yes, but only on film roles for cinemas. :frowning:

too bad :frowning:
the movie need a wild east dvd

Or Koch Media :wink:

yes but with english audio not italian