Run, Man, Run / Corri uomo corri (Sergio Sollima, 1968)

I used to like Face to Face the best, until I saw the Italian cut of The Big Gundown.

1 Like

That’s a tricky one! … I think ‘Face to Face’ has the best story and cast, but ‘Big Gundown’ is probably the most entertaining and quintessential SW, other than the Leones :wink:

1 Like

I like The Big Gundown because of Lee Van Cleef’s performance as a the lawman not in control. Lee is nearly always in charge, knows how things will go down a step ahead of everyone. It made me think ‘what’s going to happen next?’

Agreed. I see Face to Face as an anti fascist or anti right wing parable. I think that’s said a lot. Fletcher, a very Liberal man in a civil and organised society uses his intelligence to influence his will for control and personal gain.

I must say that I have never sat down to watch a western, or any other genre of movie and say … “mmm, I see this as an anti fascist parable!”

That sounds like the pseudo intellectual musings of Alex Cox or his kind … give yourselves a break, guys and just enjoy a film on it’s own terms, rather than trying to come across like an arse ! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

SHIT!! I don’t want go down that path!! :astonished: Sorry Aldo!

Well said aldo. :+1:

1 Like

Alex Cox is a personal demon. He and his ilk did influence what I watched and how I was supposed to interpret them. I clearly haven’t shaken off the brainwashing. :no_mouth:

Oh you haven’t lived :crazy_face:

4 Likes

What’s so wrong about that though? I enjoy movies for what they are and don’t think too much about that - but if that kind of analyzing gives a viewer more out of a movie, then why shouldn’t he? We’re all diffrent, no rights or wrongs when it comes to digesting art. For some people the lyrics in music is very important and for some it’s more about the music than the lyrics…

No one should be put down as pretentious here for sharing their thoughts…

7 Likes

Your choice of word, not mine … although that’s exactly what I mean, and clearly you must have recognised the statement as pretentious too ? :thinking:

I don’t usually over analyse stuff, some films you can. If my statement sounded pretentious, my bad. It was my take on the film. I just thought somebody would give their interpretation of FTF. I guess Zelmoza’s thread on paranoid interpretation got me thinking about things again. I see the forum as a place to gain new angles on things and find out aspects of movies I never new about.
But Aldo is correct that Spaghettis and films in general should be judged on their own merits. I like plenty of movies that standard to bad but they entertain me.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but surely FTF is pretty much in-your-face about its status as anti-fascist parable. Pace Aldo, those are its own terms. Even someone who has never heard of “fascism” will know what it is when they hear Fletcher’s unhinged speech about the value of torture and “the philosophy of violence” as he enacts both on the captured Wallace. Now that’s pretentious - and evil.

Regarding RMR: I enjoy it a lot, and find that even when meandering it keeps a sense of direction. I also find, however, that when I watch it I feel an immense need to keep its version of Cuchillo cordoned off from the less silly/funny Cuchillo of The Big Gundown. That’s because I think the latter really is one of the greats, and while I recognise Leone’s superior technical accomplishment - like many of us, I imagine, I came to the SW through the Dollars trilogy, over 40 years ago - I’ve come to find that Sollima’s film holds up better, and in the end yields more. I have a bunch of thoughts about Big Gundown, but will save them for the right thread.

1 Like

Positive review from October '68

October 1968

6 Likes

Now, if you translate it we all love you and owe you a pebble of your choice …

1 Like

I’m not a technology enthusiast… :grinning:

In short, the reviewer praises Milian’s performance, the peculiarities of the Cuchillo character already appeared in La resa dei conti, Sollima’s direction, the pacing, the screenplay and the mentioned supporting actors. The movie is described as one of the best in the genre, well-balanced and convincing from the beginning to end. The central column contains plot summary.

Haven’t checked yet, but the Film&Clips version available in multiple languages on YouTube is about one minute shorter than it should be.

1 Like

Thanks …

Has everyone pre-ordered their copy of the RUN MAN RUN disc from Eureka?

Click here for all the details:
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Corri,_uomo,_corri/BluRay

Any updates on whether it will have English audio?

1 Like

thanks for reminding me. need to nag them again