Ringo the Lone Rider / Dos hombres van a morir (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1968)

Having just watched and enjoyed Two Crosses at Danger Pass recently, I decided to watch this again since both are directed by Rafael Marchent. I like this film a little bit more now than I did before. I think that Marchentā€™s films have a good look to them that is just different than many othersā€¦ but I canā€™t pinpoint it. Now, the film and stories are nothing original, but they just have some appealing look to them that is no present in many other films. I canā€™t explain it. Anyhow, Iā€™m really just reiterating that I donā€™t think this film is too bad, but itā€™s not very dirty spaghetti-like :slight_smile:

The Koch DVD is almost out, but this doesnā€™t change anything on the films qualities. It is lameā€¦ Ein Schuss Zuviel DVD Review - The Spaghetti Western Database

I uploaded the trailer:

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dos_hombres_van_a_morir/Trailers%26Clips[/url]

I just watched the excellent Koch Media Release. Unfortunately this is a lame effort to the genre. Donā€™t understand why they didnā€™t shoot the final more suspenseful. I liked the Score but it would have better fit to a US B-Western. Of course there are worse SWā€™s and the movie wasnā€™t bad but not satisfying enough.

If there would exist a golden raspberry for the worst supporting actor in a SW Paolo Herzl (or Hertz) as Kid would have won it easily. Even Fidani or Crea denied casting him. ::slight_smile:

Funny the main villain of this movie Bad Billy Anderson is a historical character but they didnā€™t took care much about history. :smiley:

The Title Ringo The lone Rider is a joke.

You are so true about that!!! ::slight_smile:

Just watched the Koch Media DVD which has excellent audio (used the English track) and picture quality. The movie isnā€™t really good, rather lame. Iā€™ve seen a lot worse thoughā€¦

Average film at best but the always reliable Piero Lulli makes it entertaining enough to watch through. Some good humor in the film too, jump cut to saloon fight is one of the funniest joke in the genre imo.

btw, is this database comment from Weisser or what? Ringo the Lone Rider doesnā€™t resemblance Seven Samurai at all and Piero Lulli is not the villain, didnā€™t spot too many snarls, glares or pauses either. ;D

This testosterone-laden spaghetti western is a variation on themes popularized by The Magnificent Seven and its Japanese progenitor, Shichinin no Samurai. Genre stalwart Peter Martell stars as Ringo, a skilled gunman hired by Springfield townspeople to save them from an outlaw gang led by Piero Lulli. The film is overloaded with snarls, hooded glares, and pregnant pauses, often crossing the line into unintentional self-parody. The familiar cast includes veterans Miguel del Castillo, Dianik Zurakowska, Antonio Pica, and Frank Brana. Popular genre filmmaker Mario Caiano co-scripted (with Eduardo Brochero) a year after making his own Ringo film, Ringo, Volto della Vendetta

This is another one by this guy called Mark, who has flooded the data base with wrong informations. Iā€™m sure it is taken from Weisser or IMDB.

Wonder who he was anyway, he used to have an account here in the forum. A pure stranger, but an annoying one.

To be fair - it wasnā€™t that long ago that I believed Weisser, (never really bothered much with imdb) - this Mark fellah was probably only trying to be helpful at the time. Thereā€™s much more info (and films) to be had nowadays and to make a correct synopsis.

Back on target - I watched the first 20 minutes of this recently, but got fed up with it. Iā€™ll try again when Iā€™ve a little more patience (or cider).

Then Iā€™ll blame it all on Weisser ;).

I think also this Mark guy did it with the best intentions, but as a result the database is still not reliable. And it should be a reliable place for informations.

It would still be great if every forum member who has watched a SW would check the database page for errors. Especially the synopsis and the actors should be checked.

I watched the movie again yesterday.
This time, the Koch Media DVD.
Great quality. The picture looks like new. Good job.
But the 23-minute featurette with Franco De Gemini is rather boring. The film also.
But there are worse things. Good actor role of Piero Lulli.
The film pulls no one from the chair, but you can see it one time. :wink:
There are worse films of Marchent (see Uno a uno sin piedad).
My rating 4 / 10

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:22, topic:168ā€]Average film at best but the always reliable Piero Lulli makes it entertaining enough to watch through. Some good humor in the film too, jump cut to saloon fight is one of the funniest joke in the genre imo.

btw, is this database comment from Weisser or what? Ringo the Lone Rider doesnā€™t resemblance Seven Samurai at all and Piero Lulli is not the villain, didnā€™t spot too many snarls, glares or pauses either. ;D[/quote]

Updated the synopsis on this one to better reflect reality.

My view on it is similar to Billā€™s. Average but entertaining enough. Lulli is the best feature of it. Kochā€™s is a great release of a less than great film.

What a pain to struggle through this one. A boring film with a lousy story and virtually no good scenes. Martell imitating Gemma is painful to watch. Lulli is ok, but his character annoyed me. The only thing I could relate to is his love for beer. Dianik is the best thing in the cast, a refreshing beauty not seen too often, but of course she is pretty much wasted. The Koch release is good though, but I probably wonā€™t ever rewatch the film.

Another low budget one for the road, actually this one doesnā€™t start that bad, the story in a more US western type of way, and less spag does start ok, it almost seems like a thriller or something like that, with Pinkerton detectives and twists.

The problem is that suddenly all that stops, and what we have is a not very smart chase plot to ease things, if the writers had stick to the initial more complex plan, the film would had been better, probably not much better, but better nevertheless.
Some typical SW scenes like the Mormon settlersā€™ massacre, and a limp final duel, but with a well made twist

Martell could have been an ok SW face if he kept is mouth shut, but ā€¦ he could had made a career in the Venezuelan soap operas industry , instead of SW, he acts like if he was always in agony to go to the toilet.
As for Piero Lulli his just great and he doesnā€™t need to be called Ringo, a good surprise to me, before I watched this film he was just another (even if familiar) face in the spaghetti universe, but he gives a very good performance here, a good actor performance (pretty much an actor with that Hollywood look), which makes things even worst for Martellanza.

Not the worst spag Iā€™ve seen average stuff but on the good side of the average stuff, if I can put it that way. Good Spanish title

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz has it finished yet ;D

boring film, only made watchable by the excellent quality vid & sound on DVD from Koch
the two lead characters not strong enough to hold the attention and also low on plot and story
at least Fernando Sancho wasnā€™t in it, that wouldā€™ve made it unbearable :frowning:

I didnā€™t finish this the last time I tried to watch it but I really enjoyed it after my second viewing. It has a good story, good music and a nice cast. The only thing it was lacking was a creative showdown at the end. Other than that, thereā€™s nothing to complain about. Solid spaghetti!

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new layout. Please let us know if anything needs to be fixed, or better yet, if you can add facts, reviews, links, pictures and more.

Even better, @scherpschutter has rode back in town and means businessā€¦

1 Like

New poll for this one on the original post at the top of the page! :arrow_up:

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2023 thread: