Ringo the Lone Rider / Dos hombres van a morir (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1968)

(Sebastian) #1

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dos_hombres_van_a_morir

A pretty nice story and a great Piero Lulli, but apart from that a pretty lame film. De Masi’s score is just plain standard American-like western stuff.

(Bill san Antonio) #2

I just watched this recently but can’t really remember anything about it. so, obviously it wasn’t that good film. The ending was quite good though if I remember it correctly.

(Sebastian) #3

matter of taste i suppose. i think this movie is quite entertaining and has really good ideas and is ambitious, but it’s lousily executed

(Lode) #4

Watched it yesterday on TV - or better: the half and a little more. After this I was so tired that I went to bed. I found it not that entertaining…

(Mats) #5

I thought it was rather good but on the other hand I like all the westerns by the Marchent-brothers…

(cm215) #6

Watched this the other day. Okay, it did seem kind of American at times (especially the beginning,) but it had a good look to it. It’s not overly spaghetti-like but I think it’s still decent. Nothing spectacular or ground-breaking, but a good watch none the less… I’ve seen far worse!

(Dorado) #7

[quote=“Sebastian, post:1, topic:168”]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dos_hombres_van_a_morir

A pretty nice story and a great Piero Lulli, but apart from that a pretty lame film. De Masi’s score is just plain standard American-like western stuff.[/quote]
I just watched it I agree on this, its average at best and I would even say dull.
And the film’s subtitle “Ringo, the one man killing machine” sure is misplaced.

(cm215) #8

Having just watched and enjoyed Two Crosses at Danger Pass recently, I decided to watch this again since both are directed by Rafael Marchent. I like this film a little bit more now than I did before. I think that Marchent’s films have a good look to them that is just different than many others… but I can’t pinpoint it. Now, the film and stories are nothing original, but they just have some appealing look to them that is no present in many other films. I can’t explain it. Anyhow, I’m really just reiterating that I don’t think this film is too bad, but it’s not very dirty spaghetti-like :slight_smile:

(Lode) #9

The Koch DVD is almost out, but this doesn’t change anything on the films qualities. It is lame… http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Ein_Schuss_Zuviel_DVD_Review

(dicfish) #10

I uploaded the trailer:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dos_hombres_van_a_morir/Trailers%26Clips

(Paco Roman) #11

I just watched the excellent Koch Media Release. Unfortunately this is a lame effort to the genre. Don’t understand why they didn’t shoot the final more suspenseful. I liked the Score but it would have better fit to a US B-Western. Of course there are worse SW’s and the movie wasn’t bad but not satisfying enough.

If there would exist a golden raspberry for the worst supporting actor in a SW Paolo Herzl (or Hertz) as Kid would have won it easily. Even Fidani or Crea denied casting him. ::slight_smile:

Funny the main villain of this movie Bad Billy Anderson is a historical character but they didn’t took care much about history. :smiley:

The Title Ringo The lone Rider is a joke.

(Bluntwolf) #12

You are so true about that!!! ::slight_smile:

Just watched the Koch Media DVD which has excellent audio (used the English track) and picture quality. The movie isn’t really good, rather lame. I’ve seen a lot worse though…

(Bill san Antonio) #13

Average film at best but the always reliable Piero Lulli makes it entertaining enough to watch through. Some good humor in the film too, jump cut to saloon fight is one of the funniest joke in the genre imo.

btw, is this database comment from Weisser or what? Ringo the Lone Rider doesn’t resemblance Seven Samurai at all and Piero Lulli is not the villain, didn’t spot too many snarls, glares or pauses either. ;D

This testosterone-laden spaghetti western is a variation on themes popularized by The Magnificent Seven and its Japanese progenitor, Shichinin no Samurai. Genre stalwart Peter Martell stars as Ringo, a skilled gunman hired by Springfield townspeople to save them from an outlaw gang led by Piero Lulli. The film is overloaded with snarls, hooded glares, and pregnant pauses, often crossing the line into unintentional self-parody. The familiar cast includes veterans Miguel del Castillo, Dianik Zurakowska, Antonio Pica, and Frank Brana. Popular genre filmmaker Mario Caiano co-scripted (with Eduardo Brochero) a year after making his own Ringo film, Ringo, Volto della Vendetta

(Stanton) #14

This is another one by this guy called Mark, who has flooded the data base with wrong informations. I’m sure it is taken from Weisser or IMDB.

(Silence) #15

Wonder who he was anyway, he used to have an account here in the forum. A pure stranger, but an annoying one.

(Reverend Danite) #16

To be fair - it wasn’t that long ago that I believed Weisser, (never really bothered much with imdb) - this Mark fellah was probably only trying to be helpful at the time. There’s much more info (and films) to be had nowadays and to make a correct synopsis.

Back on target - I watched the first 20 minutes of this recently, but got fed up with it. I’ll try again when I’ve a little more patience (or cider).

(Silence) #17

Then I’ll blame it all on Weisser ;).

(Stanton) #18

I think also this Mark guy did it with the best intentions, but as a result the database is still not reliable. And it should be a reliable place for informations.

It would still be great if every forum member who has watched a SW would check the database page for errors. Especially the synopsis and the actors should be checked.

(The Stranger) #19

I watched the movie again yesterday.
This time, the Koch Media DVD.
Great quality. The picture looks like new. Good job.
But the 23-minute featurette with Franco De Gemini is rather boring. The film also.
But there are worse things. Good actor role of Piero Lulli.
The film pulls no one from the chair, but you can see it one time. :wink:
There are worse films of Marchent (see Uno a uno sin piedad).
My rating 4 / 10

(Phil H) #20

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:13, topic:168”]Average film at best but the always reliable Piero Lulli makes it entertaining enough to watch through. Some good humor in the film too, jump cut to saloon fight is one of the funniest joke in the genre imo.

btw, is this database comment from Weisser or what? Ringo the Lone Rider doesn’t resemblance Seven Samurai at all and Piero Lulli is not the villain, didn’t spot too many snarls, glares or pauses either. ;D[/quote]

Updated the synopsis on this one to better reflect reality.

My view on it is similar to Bill’s. Average but entertaining enough. Lulli is the best feature of it. Koch’s is a great release of a less than great film.