Ringo, the Face of Revenge / Ringo, il volto della vendetta / Los cuatro salvajes (Mario Caiano, 1966)

Watched this last night and was pleasantly surprised. Steffen was more animated than Iā€™ve seen him and Frank Wolff was stellar as usual. Good cast and a very good storyline involving a treasure map; part of it tattooed on one man, the other part on another. Iā€™m going to review my top 20, this might fit.

Iā€™m surprised. A Top 20 film?

I was disappointed. The 1st half was quite entertaining without being great, but in the 2nd half the film became a real bore.

Donā€™t know, just seemed like a good movie to me start to finish. Was entertained throughout. Iā€™m a Steffen fan anyway but he just seemed ā€˜betterā€™ in this. I really liked it. Didnā€™t say it would definitely be top 20, just maybe.

Well, why not, donā€™t missunderstand me, I wasnā€™t trying to change your mind.

I only had just written something about this film in the Train to Durango thread.

I also liked this very much when i saw it first time, on second time I didnā€™t find it that thrilling anymore but itā€™s better than average film for me anyway. I liked the idea of treasure map tattoo.

This one certainly has novelty value if nothing else.
Eduardo Fajardo as the loveable sidekick and occasional comic relief rather than the evil town boss/landowner/general type he usually plays and Steffen positively jovial throughout much of the film. You donā€™t see that every day.

On the whole itā€™s harmless fun without impressing overly for me. Actually my favourite scene is where the mexican townspeople are chasing after Alexandra Nilo and Steffen steps in to protect her. Reminds me of the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. ā€œA Witch! A Witch! May we burn her?ā€ ;D

standard film with lots of wasted potential. great characters.

SPOILER ****************
I think itā€™s funny how they leave Timā€™s horse tied to a tree so it will die of starvation. Cruel motherfuckers

For more info visit:
Database page: Ringo, il volto della vendetta - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Ringo, The Face of Revenge your rating out of five stars!
0 voters

Yes, pretty standard stuff but just scrapes a 3 star rating for me. Nice to see Fajardo in a more sympathetic role. In fact his was the stand out performance in this one I think. Wolff could have been used better certainly but it was also nice to see Steffen smile for once and play a more jovial sort than usual.

Caiano is a capable director but youā€™ll rarely get anything exceptional from him. So, a decent, middle of the road italian oater in general in my opinion. And in comparison to some of the dross Iā€™ve been watching lately (Adios Companeros, Sartana in the Valley of Death, Acquasanta Joe etc) itā€™s a relative masterpiece.

i think caiano was hopelessly overchallenged with this one. i had a hard time getting where he was getting at. is it a heist movie? a chase movie? a buddy comedy? a Rio Bravo spin-off? It had so many elements and sort of meandered a lot of the wayā€¦ .but the potential was there since the acting was really good in most parts, and then there was even a love relationship, a showdown on top of one of the Ramblas we visited, etcā€¦ missed opportunities

We had talked about Ringo, Face of Revenge a few days ago in another thread.

The 1st entertaining half establishes Steffen in a self ironic way similar to Train to Durango.

But in the 2nd half the film turns into a straight and unfortunately disappointing typical, much too typical SW.

It isnā€™t a bad film but I just found it extremely boringā€¦ too bad it was the first x-rated kult release I watched, iā€™ve really like all their other releases (though the picture looked great on this)ā€¦ big improvement with Train for Durango made a year later imo.

Typical 3 Stars Movie for me. Solid and somehow entertaining. The X-Rated DVD was pretty good. :slight_smile:

I watched this one a couple of days ago with my girl (she fell asleep, but this doesnā€™t matter, she often does).

As Paco said, solid entertainment.

I especially liked the German dubbing. No, this time itā€™s not the usual nonsense fun-dub, but itā€™s still unbelievable!

It maybe is the cheapest dubbing ever made.

First of all it uses like two or three speakers. Two for the men and one for the women. I think it is like that, because all the voices more or less sound the same.

Then there are the sounds and noises. I assume theyā€™re the product of an onld-school sound maker, who carries all he needs for his job in an old suitcase (I know this profession from German kidā€™s TV). You donā€™t even have to listen carwefully to identify the old sound man, because there are so few noises. Only one or two main sounds can be heard, the rest is silence.

Of course, because of all that, there is hardly any music in the movie. This would have been far too complicated. You can only hear music when no-one is talking - in some riding scenes. When the spoken word is about to come, the music fades out and the sterile dub-sound enters the stage.

For me this was highly entertaining!!!

Ergo, I can highly recommend this flick in the German dubbing!!!

Then there are the sounds and noises. I assume they're the product of an onld-school sound maker, who carries all he needs for his job in an old suitcase

You gotta admire the people doing the dubbing though. German syncing is usually perfect, and then the sound-effects they have to add sometimesā€¦ If just two or three people do all the dubbing, itā€™s even more of an accomplishment. I think I saw this movie in German and didnā€™t really notice. But German isnā€™t my mothertongue, even though I speak it rather well.

Many spaghetti dubs have that typical soundstage feel, with hollow horse stepping and gunshot sounds. Just a little too much reverb.

Just watched this one yesterday myself

RINGO; FACE OF REVENGE - Mario Caiano (1967)

A solid, middle of the road SW made enjoyable by good performances. Steffen is good as the opportunistic pistolero Ringo. Frank Wolff is fun as the smarmy huckster always looking to cut another deal and stir up trouble. But for my money, Eduardo Fajardo walks away with this film as Ringoā€™s sidekick Tim.

Not a whole lotta revenege, but for the price of admission you do get two angry mobs. One with torches and one with pitchforks chasing a ā€˜witchā€™. All in all, good SW fun. And the X-Rated disc has trailers for this film plus five other SWā€™s.

Fun Factor - 5/10

I agree. This is a superb role for Fajardo. I think heā€™s one of the greatest sidekicks ever seen. The only thing I donā€™t like about his role is his death. A bit unworthy for him.

I hadnā€™t really thought about it, but he might possibly be the greatest sidekick ever. Definitely agree his death was a bit ignominous, but at the end of the day, it is aSW.:))

The death is too melodramatic for me.

Hmmm, didnā€™t really notice that. Iā€™ll need to re-watch his death now.

Did he actually play a good guy in another SW ?