Red Sun / Soleil rouge / Sole rosso (Terence Young, 1971)

The indian killing destroyed the movie!

I really enjoyed this movie.

I appreciated the relationship between Bronson and Mifune and thought that many of the unspoken moments were more powerful than the written dialogue. Mifuneā€™s dialogue about the end of the samurai was particularly poignant.

I donā€™t really give a damn whether this is classified as a SW or a Eurowestern eitherā€¦Iā€™ll leave this one up to the philosophers. :slight_smile:

4/5 stars.

Thereā€™s a special thread for these questions. For whom it may concern ;D

Iā€™ve been watching to these one during the xmas period. With such a cast it seems to me that I could have been much better.
The best part of the movie are the nudity ones. Ursula Andress looks really gorgeous!

Emanuel review now online:

very good western from begining to the end

A very good idea but the film itself is only moderately entertaining. It lacks any sort of drive or style and doesnā€™t really make the most of its concept.

A poor movie from Charles bronson.

I like Toshiro Mifune a lot, but I was never much of a Charles Bronson fan. I never really cared much for Red Sun. Iā€™ve seen it twice; once as a kid, and a second time a couple of years ago. I liked it a bit better the second time, but not by much.

1 Like

Funny how the film stars an actor from Seven Samurai (Toshiro Mifune, who was Kikuchiyo) and the Magnificent Seven (Charles Bronson, who was Oā€™Reilly) in the same movie.

I donā€™t think the character of Jubei (if thatā€™s how itā€™s spelled) was explored enough, but he was interesting I guess. There could have been more exploration of his motives and feelings.

A decent enough film but far from a great one imo. Not a crime in and of itself of course but Red Sun promised a lot more than it delivered in the end, I felt. The ingredients for greatness were all there in front of AND behind the camera, certainly.

After watching and reviewing too many silly comedies and inferior imitations of the real stuff, I felt the need to stay away from the genre for a while. I took up the habit of reviewing with this ragbag of a movie.

Not really a masterpiece, but I had not seen it in years and it was better, or at least more entertaining than I remembered

brondelandmif

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Red_Sun_(Soleil_Rouge)_Review

1 Like

Ragbag is a bit harsh. I agree with the musical score it is lacking in excitement and sense of genre.

ā€˜Red Sunā€™ had two good things going for itā€¦ and they both belonged to Ursula Andress.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: Have to agree with that!

1 Like

Red Sun has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etcā€¦

1 Like

New review at FC

1 Like