Red Sun / Soleil rouge / Sole rosso (Terence Young, 1971)

I gave this a 3.

The chemistry is good between Bronson and Mifune but otherwise there isnā€™t much excitement on offer here.

[quote=ā€œLasky, post:21, topic:375ā€]I gave this a 3.

The chemistry is good between Bronson and Mifune but otherwise there isnā€™t much excitement on offer here.[/quote]

Up until the final minutes. Agreed with that assesment and I also gave it a three.

[quote=ā€œLasky, post:21, topic:375ā€]I gave this a 3.

The chemistry is good between Bronson and Mifune but otherwise there isnā€™t much excitement on offer here.[/quote]

I share your opinion

Iā€™m about a n hour into this film and I must say, it is pretty funny. Works very well as a comedy.

Finished the film10 minutes ago. 3 stars forme as well. Pretty good but not pretty DAMN good.

Yesterday I watched ā€œSoleil Rougeā€ (Red Sun/ Rivalen unter roter Sonne) for the first time and now IĀ“m a bit confused.
Can you really call this a Spaghetti Western that should be mentioned in the SW Database (as it already is)?

I donĀ“t think so. Apart from not being directed oder produced from an Italian, in my opinion there are several reasons to call this NOT a Spaghetti Western:

1. Music/ Score, most of the camera angles (e.g. Bronson and the Samurai riding through the desert - camera in front of them) reminds me of the 1950s/60s US Westerns

2. The Indians - Demonstrated, like US Western typically, as silly people (e.g. shooting and screaming by riding around the building) in absurd costumes - just take a look at their chief :o

3. And mostly: The altruistic ending - absolutely atypical for a SW: Eastwood in the dollar trilogy would have taken the money from Gauche (Alain Delon) and would have given the samurai sword to the Japanese ambassador but not without earning some money for this deal - donĀ“t you think?

WhatĀ“s your opinion?

I would say,it is a SW, because it is in the book (Bruckner).

OK, thatā€™s no explanation. Usually we say, it is a SW if thereā€™s some Italian participation in the project (Studio, director, producerā€¦)

In thius case it is difficult, cause the director is British (Terence Young), it is filmed in Almeria, some sources say, it was co-produced by Italians (donā€™t know who). For Bruckner this is enough to call it a SW. I canā€™t say, how big the Italian participation was.

I would call it a Eurowestern.

Thatā€™s about third or forth time someone started a topc on this movie :stuck_out_tongue: Cā€™mon guys, thereā€™s even a link to the topic in the movieā€™s database page!
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,413.0.html

I was only answering a question! I didnā€™t expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition :wink:

Nobody expects Spanish Inquisition! Anyway, i ainā€™t talking 'bout loveā€¦ errrā€¦ i mean about your post, ā€œcā€™mon guysā€ was just a rethorical figure i used to adress all the people who start yet another post about a movie that has got its own post already :wink:

Maybe I was only intimidated by your avatarā€¦ :smiley:

Worry not, the gun is only for the self-defence

I didnā€™t mean the gun. I fear the sideburns!

Than what about these ones:

Horrible!!!

IĀ“m sorry for this - I used the search function before opening the thread, but couldnĀ“t find an already existing thread - so this one can be closedā€¦

Nevertheless - these sideburns are really strange ;D

youā€™d be surprised at how good a conversation starter sideburns areā€¦ real crowd pleaser, they are

I will give it a try when I am out this week :D.

A friend of mine tried a mustache last weekend. Wasnā€™t really a successā€¦

My sideburns times are over, I wear a beard now. But not as bulky as ENNIOOā€™s avatarā€¦

[quote=ā€œDillinger, post:39, topic:375ā€]A friend of mine tried a mustache last weekend. Wasnā€™t really a successā€¦

My sideburns times are over, I wear a beard now. But not as bulky as ENNIOOā€™s avatarā€¦[/quote]

my sideburns tend to get out of control and cross over into full blown chops- mostly due to laziness on my partā€¦ i tried a beard last year, but alas, the rest of my face just cant seem to get there