Red Blood, Yellow Gold / Professionisti per un massacro (Nando Cicero, 1967)

I guess I am the odd man out on this film, because I really like it! It isnā€™t a tremendously excellent example of the genre, that is for sure; but, it is very entertaining. I like the music, locations, action scenes.
I actually like this one better than either of the Westerns Brynes did with Castellari. And speaking of Eznoā€™s movies, I happen to like this film almost (almost, I said) as much as KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE.

Wow Chris, for two Spaghetti Western fans we are wired very differently.
Kill Them All and Come Back Alone has become one of my favorites. Iā€™ve probably re-watched that film more often than any in my collection except for the Leones, Django, and Death Rides a Horse.
But I just canā€™t see re-watching Red Blood, Yellow Gold again any time soon.

The rating in our poll is surprisingly low with the peak of the pyramid at only 2 points. I would call it a typical 3 star movie.

Is there any comedy in it?

This is not a bad movie at all. Entertaining with a good cast. Furthermore I donĀ“t see why a lot of people have a problem with Byrnes. In spaghettis he always did at least ok.

Good!

A bit. Itā€™s a light-hearted western with plenty of action and maybe also some violent scenes. I remember it as one of those mix films.

I think IĀ“ll give this one a rewatch, as I remember liking Hilton in it. I have the German dvd that has Italian and German audio, but unfortunately no subs.

Youā€™re surely right

Iā€™ve got only an old washed out video tape of this,but i like it
Itā€™s an entertaining flic with three good main characters

There is a new Japanese DVD of IMAGICA.
Audio is Italian and Japanese. And with Japanese subtitles.

I must admit I donā€™t get the negative feeling about this one at all. I really quite enjoyed it and found the lightish tone perfectly acceptable for this kind of picture. As said by others, it benefits from an excellent cast and everyone performs just fine although star billing should actually go to George Martins rug which is magnificent. ;D
Maybe itā€™s just in comparison to some of the other stuff Iā€™ve been catching up on lately but this one was a pleasure.

1 Like

I think the comparison with Kill Them Allā€¦ is a good one, because they are quite similar films. Theyā€™re both fun-filled, and the development of the characters is secondary in importance to the action. I actually prefer Kill Them Allā€¦, but I liked Red Blood, Yellow Gold also. I gave it three stars.

I think it doesnā€™t really work in its tongue in cheek approach. Partly boring, cause most of the things happen without much surprises, and the directing isnā€™t convincing either. 4/10

I didnā€™t really like this one either, despite the excellent cast. Iā€™m worried Stanton. Weā€™re starting to agree too much as of late. Iā€™ll have to start bashing El Puro and Boot Hill to restore balance to the force :wink:

Fine, then my secret brain washing rays have really reached with utmost precision their target ā€¦

Awesome movie! One of my all time fav SWs. I canā€™t say it enough. Canā€™t understand why so many people donā€™t like it.

Iā€™m the one guy who gave it 5 stars btw. ;D

Yeah, I prefer KILL THEM ALLā€¦, as well. But, like I said, I almost like RED BLOOD, YELLOW GOLD just as much!

one of my top 20 worst!

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:21, topic:1756ā€]I guess I am the odd man out on this film, because I really like it! It isnā€™t a tremendously excellent example of the genre, that is for sure; but, it is very entertaining. I like the music, locations, action scenes.
I actually like this one better than either of the Westerns Brynes did with Castellari. And speaking of Eznoā€™s movies, I happen to like this film almost (almost, I said) as much as KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE.[/quote]

You are not alone in thinking so, I find this N.Ciceroā€™s film very enjoyable and well-directed in his intentionally exaggerated approach.

In my opinion Professionisti per un massacro is vastly superior to Il tempo degli avvoltoi (apart from the conclusion) and outmatches Ammazzali tutti e torna solo in everything.

I think it doesn't really work in its tongue in cheek approach

Usually Iā€™m not a fan of this kind of approach, but to my way of thinking here it works in a big way. Maybe the film suffers from a bad English dubā€¦

I watched a bad German dub.

Didnā€™t find there much which could make me think a better dub could make it more interesting. Of course there are worse films ā€¦