Recommended unknown spaghettis!

I think it would be of great value to have a thread where members could suggest lesser known spaghettis to each other. Films that are outside of the top 20 list and maybe not readily available on DVD, but still worth getting whatever the format.

Of course opinions differ, but it would still be interesting to hear of personal favourites that you think are above average, and put these in this thread so that they’re easily found.

A few people have mentioned The Ruthless Four, and it’s films like this I mean would be great to list here!

You mean the ones that just aren’t in the top20 or in the runner up list too? I would definitely add John the bastard and Requiem for a gringo to such a list.

I think most of the runners up are pretty well known and easy to get, so I’m looking for more obscure titles :wink:

The two you mention here, what formats are they, old VHS cassettes or bootlegs from somewhere?

I have Requiem for a gringo on StopGap bootleg. I saw John the bastard on the TV once, but as far as i know it can be obtain only as a bootlegs, so the 2 movies i’ve mentioned fit to such a list :wink:

I would suggest:

• Cost of dying (Taste of death)
  • The ruthless four
  • Requiem for a gringo (Duell in the eclipse)
  • Sartana does not forgive
  • Machine Gun killers
  • Dead men ride
  • California
  • Two sides of the dollar
  • The moment to kill
  • A time and a place for killing (Tequila Joe)
  • Long ride from Hell

Thanks to both alk0 and Bluntwolf!

If possible include also the best copy you know of since there could exist different VHS releases/bootlegs!

The best print available of California is the one from Franco Cleef I suppose?

[quote=“Silvanito, post:6, topic:675”]If possible include also the best copy you know of since there could exist different VHS releases/bootlegs!

The best print available of California is the one from Franco Cleef I suppose?[/quote]

The ones suggested by me are all VHS-versions. The best copies I know of. Either old rental tapes or tv-copies. Unfortunately there’re almost no official DVD-releases of these movies, at least that I know of. I think there’s a Japanese-release of ‘Dead men ride’ !!!

I also heard of a fan-subbed version of “Dead men ride” made by guy called Django Kill but i was unable to contact him even though i had his mail

Obscure titles indeed ;D

El Puro and Black Jack comes to my mind.

Should come out from New Entertainment some time (may be years). Is definitely worth a dvd release. One of Gemma’s finest if not THE finest.

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:5, topic:675”]- Dead men ride

• The moment to kill[/quote]

Dead Men Ride is out in Japan but with Italian audio only. The Moment To Kill is released by Southern DVD.

Only GBU is better than Dead Men Ride. Maybe.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Dead Men Ride, this is Anda Muchacho Spara you’re talking about?

I actually have a fan-subbed version of this, haven’t seen it yet though, but the score seems to be recycled from Run Man Run?

I completely endorse the inclusion of Bluntwolf’s - California; Duel in the Eclipse; Dead Men Ride; Machine Gun Killers and The Ruthless Four, as time well spent. ( I’ve put them in my preference order … the others I aint seen. All on Vhs 'scept Franco Cleef’s California.)
I also highly rate Bill san Antonio’s El Puro and Black Jack - two fine examples of the darker side of the genre.
And as I’ve mentioned before - a great preacher to be found in John the Bastard!
If I may - could I suggest another goodie? (I dont think you have mentioned it much, and I know of no official recent release - so it should qualify?)
I watched thist last night … AND THE CROWS WILL DIG YOUR GRAVE. (Vhs copy)
It’s not as dark as some of the above but it aint played for laughs either (tied up in barbed wire and kicked - that hurts! - A highly entertaining film with plenty of switched allegiences and intrigue … and altogether a far better film than Weisser would have you believe. (imdb aint got an opinion.) Craig Hill looks Satana-smooth (grey suit witha black velvet collar) but is much more fallible. His character works well played off the double crosses of Angel Aranda’s and Fernando Sancho’s characters.
It may not be a top of the drawer western but it had plenty of story and entertainment to keep me there till the final shootout.
There’s even 2 references to crows - Fernando does an impersonation of one and Craig gets likened to one, at various points of the film - but how that relates to the title … ? Recommended.
Anybody else got any views on this one?

1 Like

I have Ruthless 4 sitting on the shelf for the last 2 weeks and haven’t had time to watch it yet. Reading some of the above posts, I’m missing out big time!

Cian - well worth a look Brother. I dont rate it as highly as some of the others mentioned and maybe it aint so rare - I picked up a ‘Megafilms’ vid recently in a charity shop for a quid - but I’m always partial to a mad priest in a film, and KK is as bonkers as they come in this one!
As for Silvanito’s theme music for Dead Men Ride … I dont remember it being ‘lifted’ but I could be wrong. It has got some brilliant music to complement the action by Bruno Nicolai. I’ll check out my copy (which is a subtitled jap dvd - not a vid as I previously said). The soundtrack is also on a cd shared with Django Shoots First and has the same evocative music as I have on my copy of the film. Still - as I said, I could well be wrong and it’s a good reason to watch both films again. (Just got the newish Blue Underground RMR so I’ll see how compares to the Sollima box set version which only has subs for us Brits).

Cheers! I’ll definitely sit down and watch it over the weekend.

Managed to catch “California” on Movies4Men, thanks to the SWDB TV Ticker and the fellas who regulary update it :slight_smile:
[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Spaghetti_Western_Database:Ticker[/url]
A great movie and a very mature performance from Gemma IMO.

California is great - one of my faves - lots of mud.
Well I watched RMR again - this time the dubbed version and I’d forgotten how good it is. In my mind I remembered it as a sort of comedy - which compared to Sollimas other 2 in the box it maybe is. But it was fantastic seeing it again and not having to concentrate on the box version’s subtitles. Compared the soundtrack to Dead Men Ride and besides a similar-ish tempo and ‘trill’ at times - not too much the same. (My head choir-girl said they’re even in different keys … which she added is somewhat unusual for some of the films. Anyway, I didn’t even know what a trill was 'til she showed me!)

[quote=“Silvanito, post:13, topic:675”]Dead Men Ride, this is Anda Muchacho Spara you’re talking about?

I actually have a fan-subbed version of this, haven’t seen it yet though, but the score seems to be recycled from Run Man Run?[/quote]

Am actually listening to the soundtrack right now (for the first time, have never seen the movie :frowning: )… This is not Run Man Run but I quite understand why the music sounds ‘recycled’ as I am getting associations to the music used in Once Upon a Time in the West, The Good Bad and the Ugly and very much La resa dei conti and dada Corri uomo corri…