R.I.P. Legends Lost but Remembered

Actor Tab Hunter died last Sunday, July 8. He was eighty-six years old. Hunter played major parts in several Westerns, including Stuart Heisler’s The Burning Hills (1956, alongside Natalie Wood) and They Came to Cordura, directed by Robert Rossen in 1959, starring Gary Cooper and Rita Hayworth, as well as a small role in John Huston’s The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972), starring Paul Newman (to name just the ones I’ve seen). In 1968, Hunter played the lead role in his only Italian Western, La vendetta è il mio perdono, directed by Roberto Mauri.

1 Like

Farewell Navajo Joe himself, Burt Reynolds.

1 Like

I just saw this on facebook. Was just reading about Navajo Joe in a book last night wondering what old Burt was up to these days…sad that he’s gone…also sad that he hated Navajo Joe…RIP Burt Reynolds.

Terrible news. I mean at 82 nobody’s going to say “Gone too soon” but, still. Love Boogie Nights, Deliverance, Smokey and the Bandit, The Cannonball Run… hell, I even liked the Smokey and Cannonball sequels (Well, maybe not Smokey 3 but then Burt wasn’t really in that one).

I thought I’d read somewhere that he’d become a lot less critical of it in his later years? Maybe I’m just imagining that; wishful thinking, perhaps. I would likely have only read it here in any event so I’ve probably imagined it. Ah well.

RIP

R.I.P Burt Reynolds.

R.I.P. Burt Reynolds. Sad to hear

If only he realised ‘the wrong Sergio’ he was working with was one of the top contributors to the genre.

Maybe just the experience of the role tarnished his overall opinion on the finished product.

1 Like

Shit… guess he’s gonna have to start that next big race in heaven with Jackie Gleason. Rest easy Burt.

There was something really likeable about the guy - and behind that easy going joker persona, was a man who wanted to do good work, but rarely seemed satisfied with the films he’d been involved with.

I remember seeing an interview made before his ‘Boogie Nights’ revival, where he says that he was only proud of two movies in his career, or as he put it, he would only want his children when mature enough to see these two. He didn’t specify which, but one has to be ‘Deliverance’

I think he was being a bit hard on himself, regarding his back catalogue of movies … as most ‘A’ listers have a short spurt of quality flicks and then quite a few forgettable duds.

Anyway, he will always be remembered here with great affection, as a top SW character with a top SW theme tune. R.I.P Burt :wink:

2 Likes

R.I.P., Burt.

What a career. I still sorta think of him as Gator McKlusky.

His best performance was probably as Lewis, from Deliverance. The cinema-crowd literally stood and roared when he showed-up and rescued Voight & Beatty from those two backwoods pervs. That was the first time I ever experienced a movie-audience doing that.

I think they were only in two films together, but his chemistry with Raquel Welch was so palpable that I usually thought of her every time I thought of him. 100 Rifles… even though Welch and Jim Brown were the ones who actually were romantically involved. Crazy.

I’ll probably be watching a lot of his films in the coming days. I’m undecided how much his TV-work sidelined his film-work.

1 Like

Belgian comics artist Édouard Aidans died last Thursday, September 6. He was eighty-eight years old. Among his best-known creations are Tounga, Les Franval and Tony Stark, a modern-day Western series featuring an adventurous novelist. Commissioned by German publisher Koralle, Tony Stark first appeared in Zack-Parade, a pocket-sized comics magazine, in 1975. The majority of the stories (eight in total) were scripted by Jean Van Hamme (of later XIII fame). The prologue to the fifth Tony Stark story, Les Voleurs de nuages (“The Cloud Thieves”), first published in German magazine Zack in 1979, made every Western fan’s dream come true: Charles Bronson (as “the Mexican”), Clint Eastwood (as Kelly Baintrop, aka “Kelly-Two-Gun”), Lee Van Cleef (as Nat Wally) and John Wayne (as Silas Fergusson) starring in the same film.

Sorry to hear this news - he was on FB, during my time there, and was very witty and informative about the golden era of Hollywood westerns. R.I.P old timer :worried:

“All right sweethearts, what are you waiting for, breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps. A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal is a banquet. Every paycheck a fortune. Every formation a parade. I LOVE the corps!“

RIP Sarge.

2 Likes

Addio Stelvio

2 Likes

I love Stelvio Cirpriani’s SW scores, RIP :disappointed_relieved:

Sad to hear this. Cipriani was one of the greats of Italian film music I think. Liked his stuff from all genres but this one is still a favourite.

3 Likes

Funny enough today was International day of music, besides Stelvio also Charles Aznavour left us

RIP

Horrible news… shit… I really loved his music…

Yep. Rest in peace. Definitely one of the top soundtrack composers both in and out of the spaghetti western genre.