Quentin Tarantino fans

I am surprised I have never posted to this topic as I am what one might consider a Tarantino fan.
I have enjoyed everything the man has done as a director or writer (with the exception of NATURAL BORN KILLERS).

As of right now, my favorite Tarantino films are INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and JACKIE BROWN.
But, I really do like everything he has done—even RESERVOIR DOGS.
I say “even RESERVOIR DOGS” because I happen to prefer Ringo Lam’s CITY ON FIRE (and Stanley Kubrick’s THE KILLING for that matter) to Tarantino’s spin on the same basic plot.
I am not one of those folks that runs around saying “Tarantino is a thief! He plagiarized Ringo Lam! He should be killed!”. To paraphrase Rod Steiger in DUCK YOU SUCKER, that attitude “is to me the bullshit”!
I just think CITY ON FIRE is a better film, overall.
That said, there is no denying that as a debut film RESERVOIR DOGS is outrageously impressive.

A lot has been made of Tarantino’s homages to films he likes. I know a lot of people that love to say that Quentin doesn’t have any original ideas…that he just steals bits from other movies and strings them together. But, I don’t think that is the case, at all.
There is no denying that he has a tendency to take bits he likes from other films— but, he definitely has original ideas about incorporating such “stolen” pieces.

And I think it is worth pointing out that one of the greatest Spaghetti Westerns…actually one of the greatest MOVIES…of all-time (in my opinioin)…Sergio Leone’s ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is nothing but a bunch of “stolen bits” from other Westerns (JOHNNY GUITAR, THE IRON HORSE, etc.) strung together. Yet, Leone (like Tarantino today) manages to incorporate these bits into something very original and exciting.
Is being a master of reworking something make the person any less of a master?

Not in my humble opinion.

THE greatest Spaghetti western 8)

Scherp, thought I’d make it less ambiguous than what I’d first typed. But, enough said by me on the topic.

NO, you’re definitely not :wink: I’m not going to go into some diatribe about him ripping stuff off…i just can’t get into his films, simple as that.

Every Tarantino Fan should check out the Deuce’s relaunched Forum! Yeehaw!

http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/community/index.php

yehaw indeed, and note my super sexy avatar picture there :slight_smile:

It looks good the new forum. Shame that I haven’t really seen enougth of those types of movies to sign up. :’(

ultra hot!

I’m in! Again!

And that is more than fair enough, amiga!
If you can’t get into Tarantino’s stuff, you just can’t get into Tarantino’s stuff. That is just how it is.

i’m not a Tarantino fan, but i did like inglourious Basterds

Amen Chris Inglourious Basterds and Jackie Brown are my two favorites as well.

So is there anyoe else from the QTA? Or am I the only one?

Howdy, Mr. Pink!

I am signed up at the QTA; but, I haven’t been active on the forums, as of yet.
I should get on over there and do some posting one of these days!

Welcome to the Spaghetti Western Database, by the way, amigo!

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:114, topic:613”]Howdy, Mr. Pink!

I am signed up at the QTA; but, I haven’t been active on the forums, as of yet.
I should get on over there and do some posting one of these days!

Welcome to the Spaghetti Western Database, by the way, amigo![/quote]
You should come on over to the Tarantino forums more often and get to know everyone over there.

i’m here :slight_smile:

They don’t let retards in, so I’m stuck here :cry:

C’mon Lieutenant. If you attempt the intelligence quotient test again you can probably score higher than 45 this time.

You should be proud. It’s not every profoundly retarted person who is literate in multiple languages.

[quote=“Mortimer, post:118, topic:613”]C’mon Lieutenant. If you attempt the intelligence quotient test again you can probably score higher than 45 this time.

You should be proud. It’s not every profoundly retarted person who is literate in multiple languages.[/quote]
I hope so. I had 48 the last time!

That’s OK, BL. My IQ Test score was something like 47.7, I think. At least, that is what I have been told, because I am so mentally challenged that I cannot grasp even the basic concept of IQ tests, their results, and what they mean.
So, you are more than welcome to hang out with me, amigo. Since you have a score of 48, I might be able to learn a thing or two from you and improve my level of intellect. Hell, you are welcome to hang out with me, even though you don’t like INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and I do.
;D