Quentin Tarantino fans

I have always thought this aswell.

The violence, I think mostly for Americans, was the way people died and the way it was shot was different than anything we had seen before and the happy go lucky attitude the bad guys had when killing people.

FoD was an extremely violent film for 1964.

Sure there wasnā€™t much blood in the Spagies, but the there was a sadistic pleasure in the presenting of violence which tops many 70s film with much more blood. Violence isnā€™t defined by the amount of blood you actual see.

From a modern point of view The Wild Bunch seems to be an almost ā€œromanticā€ film, while several SWs are still rather nasty. Now that we are used to see spurting blood in every TV movie, there isnā€™t anything shocking in the pure showing of blood. But the way e.g. Sentenza kills the old man in the bed in the beginning of GBU is still pretty brutish.

I donā€™t want to sound like a fanboy but I honestly love all his movies. I love the references in them, the characters are well defined, the soundtracks are killer, and the violence is over the top. I love that he gets A-list and cult actors together who otherwise would not be even in the same state let alone the same studio making a film together.

Anyone else think the whole carving a swastika into the Germanā€™s foreheadā€™s ā€˜thingā€™ was inspired by Navajo Joe?

It seems iā€™m the only member of this forum who is not a Tarantino fan ;(

Iā€™m pretty sure you are not.

I wonā€™t call myself a fan
I do like some things, others I donā€™t.
I donā€™t like Reservoir Dogs and some parts of Pulp Fiction (most parts actually), but I do like most of Jackie Brown and Kill Bill (I didnā€™t like the spoof of martial arts movies, Uma killing hundreds of body guards).
I also enjoyed Death Proof

Heā€™s a typical post-modern film maker, post-modern art can be great, but often itā€™s shallow and merely a pose. His films are shallow, heā€™s certainly a poseur, but heā€™s a talented poseur and at his best heā€™s great

or maybe the whole scalping idea as well.

Very true.

Agreed. He knows how to use cinematic language to tell stories which are usually not too deep. Very much like Leone.

Although I loved Inglourious Basterds.

I really loved his latest movie. It is his most accomplished movie with some excellent characters while not relying heavily on the graphic violence. Thereā€™s talk that Christoph Waltz deserves some Oscar gold and Iā€™ll be honest he certainly does. The manā€™s facial expressions alone are award winning.

Agree on all fronts

I want Tarantino & Rodriguez finaly to make a western remake. :wink:

It still suprises me that none of them have! I actually donā€™t think there is a remake of a Spaghetti Western at all!

No you are not.

I wonder why you had to edit this message, Mortimer

Wouldnā€™t call myself a fan,
I like the films thoughā€¦

Pulp Fiction is brilliant, but itā€™s the only Tarantino Iā€™ve seen (but I do have Jackie Brown to be watched), so I canā€™t really call myself a ā€œfanā€.

Than Iā€™m sure you will find more to like. Tarantino will remain a controversial director, but there is enough substance in his films to call them brilliant. If one likes them.