Quentin Tarantino fans

We know, mate. :+1: Far Out took the list from (and accredited it to) the SWDB. It was our own @Admin who interviewed Quentin and got the list from him to begin with:

Wow!! Great stuff! :cowboy_hat_face: Still the new guy.
I was surprised at his list, mine is similar. I thought his would contain more obscure ones.

Youā€™ve spent all this time on SWDB without knowing about that list? :open_mouth:

Well no Dean. The thread never came up. I didnā€™t look to be honest. Feel pretty silly for not looking though. I suppose I was more interested in the members opinions on stuff I never thought about it.

Donā€™t worry, QTā€™s list is quite good, though not as good as mine ā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

I would love to see it some time.

At least QT agrees with me that Day of Anger is a good movie.

DAY OF ANGER IS A GREAT MOVIE! Not that keen on TEPEPA.

This should be very exciting

2 Likes

Whatever happened to his plans of writing a book on Corbucci by the way??

Finally arriving on DVD in the USA on November 24 with about 40 minutes of extra interviews: QT 8 - The First Eight.
Click to pre-order it now >>

Ahemā€¦ and the SWDb gets proper mention of courseā€¦ Happy birthday to the QTA

OK Quentin aficionados, help me out here:

The above is from another forum I frequent. The subject under discussion is about how movies are butchered by censors, or by TV stations or streaming channels either in a ham-fisted attempt to protect us from imagery we supposedly canā€™t handle (the video nasty panic in the UK 40 years ago, for instance) or the retroactive chopping of material deemed inappropriate nowadays (racist elements in Disney cartoons like Dumbo, for instance).

Anyway, whilst listing different censor edits that have particularly upset him over the years, the gentleman above makes mention of the outrage he feels to this day over the censorship of the scene in Pulp Fuction where Yolanda/Honeybunny literally pees herself right on the counter top, a scene that both he and apparently his friend believe they saw at a premiere for the movie in some town or another (London, presumably), but which has become a victim of the censorā€™s scissors ever since.

Iā€™ve never heard of this scene. I saw Pulp Fiction four times at the cinema when it was out, the only time Iā€™d ever seen a movie more than once at the cinema until I saw Django Unchained for a second time at an outdoor theatre in 2015 or so. I had a pirated screener copy of Pulp Fiction on VHS tape (apologies boss; I know you donā€™t like that sort of thing but in my defence I was a brash young idiot of 22 years old. Full disclosure: I also had pirate VHSs of Reservoir Dogs, Natural Born Killers, The Exorcist and, for some reason, Commando. Why did I have a pirate of bloody Commando? I dunno. Sorry, anyway). When it was released, I owned the 4:3 VHS version and, later, the widescreen VHS version. For my birthday, my best friend bought me a special edition set which included the VHS widescreen version, the CD soundtrack and the original screenplay on paperback (which never mentioned any instance of Honeybunny wetting herself). I bought the 2-disc DVD in something like 2002 and I bought the standard blu-ray in 2011 or thereabouts, which I now own twice because I also bought the 20th Anniversary briefcase box set. And Iā€™ve never seen or heard of this scene in any version, ever.

According to the IMDb, the only scene cut from early releases of the movie here in the UK was the shot of the needle going into Vincentā€™s arm, a shot which has been restored since the 2011 blu-ray release, which apparently leaves Pulp Fiction full and uncut on blu-ray in the UK. Again, no scene if Honeybunny wetting herself.

So, obviously, my question is: Have any of you guys ever seen or heard about this scene? Iā€™m about as positive as I can be that the gentleman who brought it up is definitely misremembering the scene (probably due to Honeybunnyā€™s ā€œI gotta go pee! I wanna go home!ā€ line). He says heā€™s checked with his mate who also remembers the scene but I think it equally likely that heā€™s misremembering it, too. Like, maybe they saw it at the cinema, didnā€™t see it again for years until they caught it on TV, and in the interim the memory of Honeybunnyā€™s ā€œI gotta pee!ā€ line had taken actual form in their heads, or something.

But I wanted a second opinion from you knowledgeable fellows simply because the gentlemen with whom Iā€™m having this discussion is no silly-bollocks bullshitter. Heā€™s older than me - Iā€™m almost 50 - with a long history of being a reliable, decent poster. So heā€™s definitely not ā€œlyingā€. I just think heā€™s mistaken. But I wanted to be sure by double-checking in here.

So, can anyone confirm/deny this shot, about which I canā€™t find any information and donā€™t believe exists?

which btw is not a cut, but a moving of the frame so you do not see the needle penetrating the skin as such.

as for the peeing. I need to rewatch it, but honestly, I also have a dim memory of something like thatā€¦ but sometimes our memories play tricks on usā€¦ like Shoshanna in Inglourious Basterds, did she also pee herself out of fear? Do I remember that one correctly? In Pulp is it Yolanda, or is it one of the patrons? Interestingā€¦ need to pop in the disc this weekend to check

1 Like

This is most likely just an individual misremembering.

But there is also a collective misremembering, and this kind of false memory is meanwhile often called the ā€œMandela effectā€.
Named after a great mass of people who are sure that Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 80s, and that they even saw on the telly his funeral.

Another famous one is the exact line ā€œLuke, Iā€™m your fatherā€ in Star Bores and this scene from Moonraker:

A fake vid which shows how many seem to remember this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCFLgDsqh6Q

In a German Bond forum there was once a bigger discussion about that, triggered by one who claimed to have a VHS cassete with the brace, but before presenting the evidence he fell silent.

And actually if someone had told me a few years ago about this brace scene, I would have assented ā€œyes, thatā€™s true, she wears a braceā€.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never heard of the Mandela effect but itā€™s fascinating for sure. I too wouldā€™ve been prepared to swear that Blanche Ravalec wore braces for her role as Dolly in Moonraker. Even in my mindā€™s eye, right now, I can ā€œseeā€ them on her, despite having only just seen ample evidence right there on that YouTube clip that she never wore them.

No to Yolanda pissing herself, but YES to Dolly and her braces! The first shot of her, before the big white toothed smile, does suggest braces, probably because of the lighting, her mouth looks a little bit grey.
I saw ā€˜Moonrakerā€™ on a huge screen, back in '79 ā€¦ and there seemed to be no mistaking it. Good one.
Also, I have a memory of my first time seeing FAFDM on TV ā€¦ I remember excitedly talking about it at school the next day ā€¦ I was convinced that we see El Indioā€™s men kill the wife and baby of Tomaso, outside the church ā€¦ but of course we only hear the crying and gunshots. It must be remembered that was REALLY rough stuff back in the day ā€¦ Frank shooting Timmy in OUATITW was nothing by comparison. :wink:

Mandela effect is so mind blowing phenomena and thereā€™s dozens of movie examples. But Moonraker is definitely the most obvious example, thereā€™s no way millions of people could remember it wrong but it wasnā€™t like that fx video either, I remember she had very large and awkward braces not those cute looking small ones.
I wonder if thereā€™s any sw mandela effects? :exploding_head:

Yeah that was the whole point of the joke, they both bonded because they both had ā€œmetal mouthsā€. No it makes no sense whatsoever.

I used to like Pokemon when I was a kid. I had the games, watched the show, had toys, cards and even an Ash costume and Pikachu no longer having a black tip on his tail is another one that gets me.

Yes Iā€™ve often wondered. So far Iā€™ve never noticed anything though.