POLL: What is your favourite Clint Eastwood western apart from the Leone trilogy

They’re all great, that’s the “problem”.

Yes very true

I voted for The Outlaw Josie Wales. My second choice would be The Unforgiven.

I don’t think so.
The only great ones for me are Unforgiven and Josey Wales. The others are ranging from good to mediocre.

And the worst should be Paint Your Wagon, a disaster movie, but well, it’s hardly an Eastwood film. (And all the others are Eastwood films)

Is The Beguiled really a western?

No, I don’t think so.

Siegel and Eastwood thought the film had failed at the box-office because it was presented as a western, in the normal circuit, while it should have been presented as an arthouse movie in the alternative circuit.

I don’t know if it can be called arthouse, but it’s by no means a western

I think it’s a good film

Maybe a Gothic thriller?

Closer

The women amputed one of Clint’s legs, right?

Southern Gothic. Closer?

i would definitely say “The Beguiled” is gothic, and it is a good film.

But it has western moments, and it thematised Eastwood’s virile western image. It’s at least a half western.

A good film, yes, but I think Siegel wasn’t the ideal choice for the director’s chair, as he also wasn’t for The Shootist. Both contained the stuff for a great masterpiece.

But it’s set in the East. Eastern?

There are other westerns set in the East (not to forget the North or the South and the middle), but the west is the best

1. High plains drifters
  2. The outlaw Josey Wales
  3. Hang 'em high
  4. Pale Rider
  5. Joe Kidd
  6. Two mules for sister Sarah
  7. Unforgiven
  8. The beguiled
  9. Bronco Billy

And I wouldn’t call the last two on my list westerns by the way.

Always remember the U.K quad cinema poster to The Beguiled which is clearly marketing the film as an action packed film, which of course it is not.

And just look at this poster

This is nothing like Hired Hand which was a slow, poetic, western not an action packed adventure.

People expecting alot of action based on the premise of the poster may have been a little dissapointed.

Honkytonk Man ?

A ‘depression era’ western?

Josey Wales, with HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER a close second. And i do like JOE KIDD also.

Yeah The Beguiled is one of Siegels best I think… and Eastwoods best performance

Well Siegel was pretty much like a larger budgeted Roger Corman from the stuff I’ve read on his earlier movies. Not necessarily bad.