Poker with Pistols / Un poker di pistole (Giuseppe Vari, 1967)

Database entry: Poker di pistole, Un - The Spaghetti Western Database

I just watched this one and enjoyed it. Not a whole lot happens and most of the shooting is saved for the end, but that didn’t bother me much. Both Georges are in good form here and it’s a treat seeing them both in one spaghetti western. It’s a very laidback watch, probably Vari’s finest hour. The plot is simple; two gamblers stick their noses where they don’t belong. Doing so they unravel a swindle. I won’t spoil it, so I won’t go into further details. The ending has a nice twist though. Once again some atmospheric music by Lallo Gori. I’ve read somewhere that Fidani co-directed, which would explain the quality, haha. Recommended. 3 stars, or 6,5/10 which is probably even better.

1 Like

I liked it alot… you can see Vari’s style in this, slow paced but never boring… he directs poker scenes in particular really well.
George Hilton was good, I prefer him in serious roles like this and Bullet for Sandoval.

The two stars worked well in this entertaining yarn, and probably one of my favourite George Eastman roles in a western.

I watched it a few days ago, a review is coming up

Just finished this one. Eh, I didn’t really like it. The music wasn’t great, neither was the story or direction. I feel asleep about a half an hour in and when I woke up it was right at the end. I thought the fate of George Hilton was interesting… but that’s about it. I think the poster (George Eastman with a pitchfork in his face) is better than the movie!

The review has arrived:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Poker_with_Pistols_Review

I’m sorry; I can’t say the name out loud without cracking up

I didn’t find it so good. I like Deguello and Thirteenth is a Judas a lot. He’s made a lot of film for a not a lot of bucks. And A Hole in the Forehead is fantastic - one of my faves - but I was disappointed with this.

[Edit - I should add here that my unfavourite-ist sw mainman, George Eastman, was actually very good in this - as Ennioo says - probably the best he’s been in. Ironically, even tho’ I enjoyed his input into the film, the rest was a letdown.
Great stuff with the review tho’ scherps!]

Nice review Scherp.
Pity there isn’t a better quality release to judge the film by.

I’m not too fond of this movie. Well, it is not bad but not too good either… Nice twist at the end though. Among Eastman’s best, not among Hilton’s best !

Watched a German VHS version (UFA) of quite acceptable quality.

I have the same one,its very short - 79 min. :frowning:

Unfortunately this is true ! :’(

George Hilton hates this film - I can’t remember the full quote but he’s responding to a question about it in an interview in a back issue of Nocturno magazine.

“Film terribile” is his summary of it…

Well, terrible it ain’t. A good 3 starer. (New word, remind it)

Quite like this one. Gave it 4 poker cards (or pistols).

I liked this one OK when I saw it a couple of years back. Probably ought to give it another viewing and see if it still holds up.

Me too, I gave it 4 pistols. Great name for a SW, one of my favourites.

This one I watched today. I only liked the opening sequence, after that it just went downhill. While I can’t say it was a lighthearted movie, it wasn’t very heavy either, partly due to Lallo Gori’s score which was a major disappointment. Might watch it again though because the copy I had looked horrible at many points. For the time being 2/5 stars.

Got curious after the review reading, so I watched the crap divx yesterday. Although it’s not a great movie - perhaps too slow - but still enjoyable. I guess it fills with thrill what lacks in action. Eastman delivers in this one.