Poker with Pistols / Un poker di pistole (Giuseppe Vari, 1967)

Has anybody seen a longer version than the above mentioned 79 min Pal version (=83 min NTSC)?

In the Bruckner book the runtime is given with 85 min for the Italian and 86 min for the German version (which would mean that Bluntā€™s VHS tape is cut).
The English fandub probably used this tape as video source.

Nope. Cut versionā€¦

Slightly above average film, with interesting twists.
Unfortunately, you can see here, as in other Vari films, the low budget.
But Vari compensates this disadvantage, in which he gives the story an almost criminal Touch. In addition, with Eastman and Hilton here are two good actors. Unfortunately, the music and the camera work is very weak.
But all in all good fun. My Rating 6 / 10.

Watched this one this morning and my thoughts pretty much echo Sherpsā€™ review.
Vari does well with what is clearly a low budget even for him and the leads are all just fine. It could clearly have been made as a contemporary crime / heist film as Eastman and Hilton work to unravel the counterfeit / kidnap plot while chasing dollars for themselves.
Dragged a bit in the middle and, as others have noted, leaves a bit too much action for the end. Enjoyable enough and certainly would be nice to see an improved print than the one currently circulating.
3 stars.

Good looking print. Iā€™m hoping that someone will upload it to CG so i can grab it.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you just download it from the tube?

1 Like

Itā€™s all set.

Old copy.

New copy.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I downloaded (and watched) it too. I had before onyl a German VHS print which was cut by 3 min, and this looks pretty good, even if the image was too heavily filtered, giving the faces that notorious wax works look.

The film is still entertaing and still underrated, like most Spags of Vari. 6/10

2 Likes

Watched this last night and thought it was pretty good. Again Vari with no money still managed to provide a nice atmosphere, and I liked the plot as well as Hilton and Eastman. Theyā€™re far from my favourite spag leads but they along with the different story were good enough to keep me interested for the films duration. This is the fifth Vari western Iā€™ve seen, and I know Iā€™ll be in a very small, or maybe even exclusive minority, but I think this is his best apart from ā€œShoot the Livingā€¦ā€.

I love this genre but I do have a few regrets, and I think the fact that Vari was never given a good budget might just be the biggest.

1 Like

For me The Last Killer is by far his best, and The 13th Is a Judas his only forgettable one.

1 Like

Of the five Iā€™ve seen I think Iā€™d rank them like this.

1. Shoot the Livingā€¦
  2. Poker with Pistols
  3. Django The Last killer
  4. A Hole the Forehead
  5. Degueyo

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll ever see Death Rides Along. It doesnā€™t seem like itā€™ll ever be available in English. I actually have a bootleg of 13thā€¦ though, I just havenā€™t got round to watching it yet.

I watched a Youtube video with fine image quality and found the plot rather entertaining with good acting by Eastman and Hilton.
The music was weak though and most of the time it reminded me more of American (TV?) western style and the film is slightly leighthearted. Maybe worth a weak 6/10 rating IMO, but I am not sure I would buy a proper DVD/Bluray release.

I now have a DVD-R with fine image quality and the a little little bit lighthearted feeling, mostly due to George Hiltonā€™s smooth character and acting, is the biggest weakness together with the bad title music. George Eastman is OK, but I like him better more mean (as in Django Prepare A Coffin 8/10).
The plot is good enough for an entertaing SW.

I could compare the mood with Any Gun Can Play where George Hilton also starred with similar style, but it had a more interesting story with a lot of (meaningful) action even if the end was silly but on the other hand the beginning scene an early climax, overall good enough for a solid 6/10 and current rank 62 on my SW Top 80.

Poker With Pistols gets a (weak) 6/10 rating and here is the position on my SW Top 80 :

76 Quintana: Dead or Alive (Vincenzo Musolino) music Felice Di Stefano 1969
77 Poker With Pistols (Giuseppe Vari) 1967
78 Shotgun/Vengeance Is My Forgiveness (Roberto Mauri) 1968

Sounds about right. Itā€™s definitely entertaining.

Never seen this
My question is, is this a comedy or a serious film?

I donā€™t watch the SW comedyā€™s

Its my opinion that the SW Comedyā€™s is what Killed the Genre!!!

More of a serious one but with light-hearted moments.

1 Like

This filmā€™s entry in the database has been updated to the new layout. Contributions welcome.

Credits page has been created for Un Poker di pistole (Poker with Pistols)

2 Likes

Two things:

1st) Nicola Di Gioia fifth henchman is correct, and the same goes for Henchman 17 here.

2nd) Judging from the screen capture, Lazar bandit seems more Franco than Gaetano Scala.