One Silver Dollar / Un dollaro bucato (Giorgio Ferroni, 1965)

As this was released in August 1965 Iā€™m assuming it was filmed before Return of Ringo. But was Return of Ringo filmed before or after Adios Gringo? Anyone know the filming dates?

The German Blu Ray has some stills of the missing eye-gouging footage in the extras section (Gemma lying between two barrels with an outlaw pushing his eyes in) but it is missing from the Blu Ray where Gemma seems to suddenly gain unexplained injuries. When he is later tied to the post he has difficulty recognising his wife presumably because of this. The head banging against the post is there - well at least some of it.

The UK release, One Silver Dollar, was heavily cut to get a U (universal) rating. Almost the entire beating-up scene was removed among other things.

1 Like

I watched this movie last night and this afternoon and enjoyed it 3 stars

5 Likes

Welcome! I love this movieā€¦I give it a 5/5. One of my favorites. I know not many SW fans would rank it this high as it leans toward having an American western feel but I love American westerns too and Gemma and Evelyn Stewart are perfect together in this and Adios Gringo. Gemma just fits the role so well. Also one of the first SWā€™s I ever watched so that may be giving me some bias but never the less a favorite of mine!

4 Likes

Itā€™s the exact same with me. One Silver Dollar was probably among the first six SW Iā€™ve seen. All but one of those six are still very high in my ranking. So there is definitely some sort of nostalgia bonus. I even have a soft spot for the sixth, Drummer of Vengeance, but that one isnā€™t anywhere near the top of my list. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks very much

Having followed up One Silver Dollar with Fort Yuma Gold it helped me reflect back on parts of One Silver Dollar which I enjoyed. There was an element of despair following the hope of a new life and when Gary went to Yellowstone and the incident with Blackie. In terms of the villain, McCorey is a little less menacing but relies on his financial power. The effects of the Civil War loom in the background too. Donaldson was a good character too I thought.

3 Likes

For this Italian-French co-production there was no trip to Spain, did you perhaps find inserted shots?

1 Like

My mistake. I thought the Fort in the beginning of the movie, was Fort Colmenar.
When in fact, itā€™s actually just the Mazzano Romano (Fort Set) in La Selcia.

If someone could update the main page: Un dollaro bucato

Thanks for pointing that out. :wink:

1 Like

See the film locations on the movie page.