One Silver Dollar / Un dollaro bucato (Giorgio Ferroni, 1965)

Confederate soldier Gary O’Hara (Guiliano Gemma) and his brother Phil are released from a prisoner of war camp following the end of the civil war, the barrels of their guns removed by their captors. Gary returns home to his wife Judy (Evelyn Stewart) whilst Phil is not ready to live such a quiet life and heads off west.

Gary soon decides to follow his brother to the town of Yellowstone, and to find work to support his family. On arrival, his combat prowess is soon put to practice, which brings him to the attention of local banker McCory (Pierre Cressoy). McCory offers him a ranch and money if he can kill local outlaw Blacky, which he agrees to do. Gary is taken to the local saloon and advised that Blacky is the man at the bar with his back to him. On confrontation, Blacky turns around, firing his gun - and revealing himself to be Phil O’Hara. McCory and his men open fire, leaving both brothers dead.

By a stroke of good fortune, Gary survives the ambush, his life saved by the single silver dollar in his pocket. He sets out to discover why McCory wanted Blacky dead, and to aid the local villagers that are suffering at the hands of a group of marauding bandits. Meanwhile, Judy O’Hara travels to Yellowstone in search of her husband, and soon finds herself in the unwelcome company of McCory.

As with Gemma’s role in his two Ringo films, the character of Gary O’Hara would sit quite comfortably in an American made western. This is no bad thing, and he does always make for a likable hero. The same point could be levelled at the film in general - it is a likable flick, with a true old American western feel. That said, Ferrio’s enjoyable whistled score clearly sits within the euro-western genre, and it does share a level of violence with its fellow Italian movies.

The story itself has a few clichés (for one thing, a fair few screen characters have been saved over the years by an inanimate object conveniently placed on their person) but does that really matter? Clearly not. And there are some great scenes, particularly both the opening (great gun-play as the brothers are released) and final sequence. From a personal perspective, I was also intrigued to note a great visual likeness between Evelyn Stewart and my own girlfriend!!! Not that that should be of any real relevance to this write up.

In summary, this is one of those nice easy to watch movies (legs up on the sofa, with a wine or beer for company), and certainly worth a few silver dollars of anyones money.

For more info visit:
Database page: Dollaro bucato, Un - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Blood for a Silver Dollar your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

1 Like

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dollaro_bucato%2C_Un

datebase link

More american than italian, but it’s well directed and it doens’t have many boring parts. Quite enjoyable and i think it deserves one chance from every sw fan. Great opening sequence! 3/5 stars

A Gemma classic.

1 Like

Likable, but too simple for my taste.

The film lacks any SW feeling, not uncommon for most of the 1965 westerns made in Italy.

Found a Spanish DVD of this one! It was supposed to be released through Impulso’s “Collecion sagrada…” , but this guys from Wild West released it first.
Despite the American influences it still deserves a special place in my heart. My first spag…

Can’t believe I missed this thread. I love this movie. Yes it has a very American feel but I really enjoy Gemma in it. One of my favorites in the genre.

Gonna watch this one soon. Need to watch a spaghetti very soon.

Good film. A true hybrid of American and Italian styles and sentiments - and unlike many other efforts in this vein, it succeeds more often than it fails.

Right and Giuliano Gemma gave the guarantee,in this one and his other early flics at least

I will agree with that assessment, amigo.
But, I tend to think that all of the Calvin Jackson Padget films with Gemma succeed somewhat evenly.
I like WANTED, FORT YUMA GOLD, and ONE SILVER DOLLAR equally well and would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite among them.

In Germany the producers even made the ‘Ferroni dollar trilogy’ out of his three western with Gemma

The titles were about :
Un dollaro bucato - A hole in the dollar
Per pochi dollari ancora - Tampeko,the two sides of a dollar
Wanted - Wanted,for three paltry dollars

Sorted from 1 - 3 and leant on their big brothers from Leone,surely not comparable but a funny idea
Good stuff !

[quote=“LankyFellow, post:12, topic:117”]In Germany the producers even made the ‘Ferroni dollar trilogy’ out of his three western with Gemma

The titles were about :
Per pochi dollari ancora - Tampeko,the two sides of a dollar[/quote]

The US release of it was even re-titled as For A Few Dollars Less and For A Few Extra Dollars… how’s that for ripping off Leone.

Well…the FOR A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS was actually just a retitling by a video company (same as the DIE NOW–PAY LATER title this film was also given at one point). Never knew about the FOR A FEW DOLLARS LESS title (except for the comedy Western by the same name). When this film had its extremely limited run in an extremely limited number of venues in the USA, it was known only as FORT YUMA GOLD.

Previous to that film, ONE SILVER DOLLAR had an ever so slightly bigger theatrical run in the USA under the title of BLOOD FOR A SILVER DOLLAR (which is the title I saw it under).

And as far as I can tell, Ferroni’s other Western with Gemma, WANTED, never had a theatrical release in the USA. I could be wrong, though. There is a possibility that it played strictly on the Drive-In circuit (as it is often close to impossible to determine what films were released strictly to Drive-Ins in the late 60’s and early 70’s).

I meant to mention that the original Italian title for FORT YUMA GOLD could actually be translated to mean (get this!): FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE. So, the FOR A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS title is actually a darn good English title for this one!

With the dollar in the title they made a lot of dollars in those days

HAHA! that is nuts… they really wanted to cash in on Leone.

Looking at the DVD on Amazon.de it says there are only two left, I wonder if that’s the last of the 500 DVDs made. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Starmedia and NEW DVDs?

[quote=“Pistolero08, post:17, topic:117”]Looking at the DVD on Amazon.de it says there are only two left, I wonder if that’s the last of the 500 DVDs made. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Starmedia and NEW DVDs?[/quote]Starmedia release is in 4:3 and has german audio only I think.

The Starmedia DVD is cut.
I think about 90 seconds missing.

Stay away from Starmedia DVD’s.
Cheap and very poor quality. Very poor !!!

not one of Gemma’s best, but by no means a bad film. Gemma is alway watchable and film has a couple of good moments. It does come over as more of an Amercian western than a spaghetti. Fair and forgettable. 5/10