One More to Hell / Uno di più all’inferno (Giovanni Fago, 1968)

The MCP DVD is cut by a few minutes (about 2 minutes). Has English audio. Is a cheap release. It cost about 5 € in Germany.

If you end up getting The Wild East one, look out for the pre-order price as they usually have one these days.

Thanks guys, guess I’ll go for the Wild East one then - looks like it’s $5 less if you pre-order.

I have some high hopes for this one. If Fago’s other two SWs are anything to go by, he seems very underrated in my opinion.

IMO it’s a mediocre SW. The character and the plot is uneven. It starts with a cynical and sadistic scene with the good Gerard Herter. Herter plays more or less the same role he had in The Big Gundown. After this grim beginning the first half of the movie is like a comedy. Sorry but the brawl and George Hilton in Woman Clothes are not really funny. The second half is more violent and sinister again. I liked the second half more. Cause of the second half and some good scenes I would rate it 3/5.

Unfortunately I’ve watched the German MCP Release. It’s not a good one and the movie seems to be cut.

Film has few similarities with Django. Herter shooting at peasants (though not killing them like Major Jackson) and in the end Hilton’s hands are also shot broken. I liked Paolo Gozlino’s character which reminded me Jason Robars’s Cheyenne and the ending is quite cool. What I didn’t like was the the comedy scenes in the first part of the film.

My rating: 3/5

I remember liking it very much and those comedic moments were quite appropriate IMO. I’ll certainly re-watch it some day, there was plenty of fun, I particularly was stunned by Herter’s character.

Watched the MCP release over the weekend. Quality was not bad but I have seen better movies.
Like said, the film has 2 thoughts, comedy at the first half and more serious business at the second half. For me the best part started with the bank robbery.
Nice role of Paolo Gozlino. He indeed reminded me of Cheyenne, both through his performance as well as his looks. Nice character.

Without comedic elements this could be nearly as good as “Dead Men Ride”.
George Hilton and Gerard Herter are great here.
Opening scene is excellent, later there are some problematic slapstick moments (I hate it in spags).
Too bad that there is awful unfunny fistfight scene in jail, because relationship between Hilton and Gozlino in the second half is serious.
And their first meeting is like in a really bad comedy.
Luckily there is very good second half of the movie with nice atmosphere.
There is interesting death scene and torture scene and the final duel is decent.
Nothing special but fine little spag imo :slight_smile:

After a short break, I’m back in the saddle with a review of this fairly entertaining Hilton vehicle:

[/URL]

[size=12pt][url=http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/One_More_to_Hell_Review_%28Scherpschutter%29]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/One_More_to_Hell_Review_(Scherpschutter)[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/tohellandbackj.jpg/[/url][/size]

You certainly liked One More to Hell a lot better than I did, I may have to re-watch it some day. I remember being extremely disappointed by the film when I last saw it (back then I had just watched Vengeance is Mine, which is one of my favorite SW), but I just checked where I put it in my SW ranking and it’s actually among my bottom ten, that seems a little harsh.

disappointment for me too, some scenes are okay, but after the watch i had a feeling of a half-baked movie

Not one of George Hilton’s best, but an enjoyable one for me.

Far too harsh. Obviously, it is no masterpiece, but I found it surprisingly entertaining after disappointing Moment to Kill which was on the same disc. I guess those slap-sticky moments were rather irritating for you - for me they were just fine. A decent stuff for me.

Actually, I don’t remember liking the more serious moments much more than the comedic ones. That said I didn’t quite like the typical George Hilton character persona at that point in my SW viewing experiences (honestly, not sure if I do right now), so that and my expectations (concerning Fago) might have something to do with my low ranking. Might be worth mentioning that of the 80-something SWs I’ve seen (not counting other eurowesterns), I only downright dislike about 20.

Don’t worry, I love M.E. Kay, we can’t all love - or even like - the same movies.

I have become more lenient towards comedy westerns and also towards these movies which offer a combination of (often very silly) humor and tough action. As said, I found this movie quite entertaining, but it’s obviously not a great work of art.

All 3 (Wells) Fago westerns have some interesting stuff, but also some heavy flaws. All 3 are 5/10, this one being probably the 3rd best.

Indeed, life would be a little boring if it was the case. Still, I should give One More to Hell another chance someday (will probably wait for a better print though).

For me, it’s an average but enjoyable SW. A good cast and a solid 2nd half, makes it a 3 star film IMHO. George Hilton fans (like me) will get the most enjoyment from this film. It’s a good showcase for Georgie’s comedic and dramatic skills.

I love this one. How do the other DVD releases compare with the Wild East?

In Umberto Lenzi’s So Sweet… So Perverse (released at the end of October 1969) there’s a sequence in which Renato Pinciroli is watching a spaghetti western on TV: the scene on screen is undoubtedly One More to Hell’s saloon brawl.

The two films have in common Luciano Martino as producer, Ernesto Gastaldi as writer, Eugenio Alabiso as editor and, unexpected and funny thing, Pinciroli himself as actor! :relaxed:

1 Like