One After Another / Uno dopo l’altro (Nick Nostro, 1968)

i first saw this film years ago on ITV when they used to show european films and i liked it then and seeing it again now when i’m much more in to SW’S i still like it. i like Richard Harrison on the whole in most of his spaghetti westerns , and agree that it is his best performance here. i’m also with BL in finding the " Exploding Man " scene hilarous. film has some nice touches eg the coat full of spare pairs of glasses. yes, sure the film has holes in the plot but this is the norm for SW’s. as a piece of entertainment it is good. doesn’t quite make my top 20 but easily in top 30. 7/10

hero with glasses? lol, and the ending there is no shoot out! realy boring western, the good song can’t save this poor one

The Database review is [size=10pt]really good[/size], and Bad Lieutenant’s Reply #18 also offers interesting considerations /evaluations: however, I disagree with the last two statements.

I have enjoyed both the atmosphere of terror among the villains (that somehow anticipates E Dio disse a Caino/And God Said to Cain) and the unexpected change of tune towards the end of the film.

I actually enjoyed this one. It’s not bad at all, and being a fan of Richard Harrison helps it!

I thought it was a good, atmospheric, thriller-like spaghetti western.

Richard Harrison does a great job as a bad-ass hero and he’s probably the most engaging thing in this flick.
Nostro’s direction was nice if not a bit uninspired. At least action scenes are well made and very exciting.
With regard to a soundtrack, I really like it, particularly the song “Maybe One, Maybe Nine”.

All in all, simply decent piece of spaghetti that should taste every fan of this genre. However, on the other hand,
I still have a feeling that without Harrison’s appearance here the film wouldn’t be so entertaining.
Gets a strong 4 stars from me. 8)

I’ve revisited and watched a few spaghs these last few weeks, but haven’t had any further insights to add to earlier ramblings on 'em… 'scept for this one. For a revisit, I was somewhat shocked by its power to storytell and entertain. I loved it - maybe more than I rememeber the first time around!

I’d somehow forgotten how good this is, although I remember starting a thread many moons ago where I compared it favourably in some ways to the inferior Yankee.

Well - just to reiterate my believe that this is very, very good - it has all the elements I want in violence, dark humour and style, and it twists nicely…
I was thrilled, and this genuinely goes into my Top 5.
And talking about 5s…

It’s gotta be 5 outa 5 8)

Never got round to viewing this one as yet, maybe next year.

Soon enough coming around. I’m surprised you ain’t seen it yet though Ennioo. :o
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when you get around to it.

Surprised myself really aswell :stuck_out_tongue: , but it has just never made it to the front of my to watch pile.

It’s well worth a view Ennioo. Definitely one of Harrison’s best imo.

It seems that in reality also The Man Who Killed Billy the Kid was directed by Nick Nostro and Buchs signed only for co-production reasons.

I agree with others, one of Harrison’s best roles in spaghetti westerns. I think Vengeance and few early sw’s he did are bit better films though. The fact that he wears glasses isn’t that important regarding the plot but at least it makes him look different.
I didn’t like the beginning of the film which I found boring but it gets much better somewhere in the middle. Nostro’s directing is just too sloppy at times. Like Mickey, I also liked the song “Maybe One, Maybe Nine” and the rest of the soundtrack was good too if not that memorable.

3/5 stars

@ I think Vengeance and few early sw’s he did are bit better films though.

I agree.

I like Harrison in westerns, but checking the films I have seen with him none of them is better than 5/10. And after re-watching One After Another I dropped my initial rating from 5 to 4/10.

Too bad, as it is a SW I’m sympathetic to. But there are too many weak scenes and too many ordinary characters so that the film has some boring parts. I like Harrison’s coat filled with spectacles and I like how the film ends, but the few good ideas cannot hide the emptiness of the story. And Nostro’s ordinary directing doesn’t help either.

Yeah, it’s one of those movies i’d like to like more. But I can’t close my eyes on some of the shortcomings. Worst scene for me was the one where the old man brings the coffin to the saloon and Harrison shoots one of the villains from his hiding place. It’s so badly directed, everyone’s just standing when the man is shot if he had a seizure or something. Don’t they hear the gunshot?

The shot is muffled with a cushion: however, after two seconds of disorientation what happened is clear to everyone.

I think your ratings are rather unbalanced when it comes to SWs: A Stranger in Town 7 or maybe 8, Vengeance Is Mine (heavy flaws?) and One After Another 5 and 4 respectively. Objectively there isn’t such a marked difference in quality between these three films, on the contrary, and despite being an enjoyable SW A Stranger in Town as a whole is perhaps the weakest of the three…

Ratings, ratings, ratings… :wink:

Vengeance is mine and Stranger in Town are much better than One After Another. This derives from the direction by Nostro. For me, it was solid, but unremarkable, while the former two ones are handled in a more impressive manner.

Not much difference in Vengeance is mine and Stranger in Town for me.

The shot is muffled with a cushion: however, after two seconds of disorientation what happened is clear to everyone.
Ah, I must have missed that. Maybe cushion wouldn't muffle the shot of a revolver in real life but for a movie that is good enough explanation.

Actually my ratings are very balanced and carefully developed… :wink:

“Objectivity” is a word I don’t use for films. All my ratings are of course heavily subjective. My opinions and ratings reflect what I see in films, what I fell when watching films and especially how films entertain me (or fail to do so). Last time I watched Stranger in Town I was surprised how good it is, and how much I failed to recognize its qualities on previous watchings. Vengeance Is Mine is an ok SW with some promising parts and a good cast, but it’s less than it could be due to the uneven directing. It is easy to see how good it could have been when I compare it with 10.000 Dollars Blood Money, a similar film in some respects, and a better one in nearly every respect.

Meanwhile I think that Vanzi is a highly underrated SW director. He is much better than Valerii and Petroni, my favourite overrated SW directors.
I’m now eager to re-watch the 2nd Stranger film which I at the moment rate with a 6, but had preferred to the first one until the last re-watch changed things.